What is considered too Hot for Roe Oval Cats

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sean or other tuners jump in and tell me how to tell if my Roe Oval Cats are too Hot? The A/F reading before the Cats looks good 14.7-15.5 under no load at idle, and at full load A/F is 11.5-11.8. I have stock headers, Roe Oval Cats, and a Borla cat back exhaust. When I pulled up to the Muffler shop to have O2 bungs welded ahead of the Cats, the welder stated he thought my Cats were getting too hot. I have a Roe S/C and am running a 7lb pulley.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Jim,
"What is Too hot?"
To operate properly (burn fuel), they will be in the 900 degree F range when running. When running a blower, the increased a/f ratio under load will make a catalytic converter hotter.
A stock cat is far more prone to overheating as the exhaust gets hotter each time it goes through a substrate (stock has 4). Overheating a cat leads to substrate failure.
I wonder if the welder saw the normal (for a Viper unfortunately) dark area in the side sill insulation. When we take stock cats out to replace them, it is common / expected that we will see the sheet metal of the insulation cracking and falling apart near the cat.
No cats is the coolest option.
Hope that helps.
Sean

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc