What is Tape used for Protection at Track

MichaelThurston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done a search and haven't found it. I remember using the blue painters tape. Racer Tape seems to be full on super sticky duct tape. Are those the two choices or am I missing something? What should I be using?

Thanks.

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both the blue or green painters tape is a good choice because it don't leave a sticky residue even after letting it bake in the sun. Most people I see at the track use the blue painter's tape because it's usually a little cheaper.

escapedan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use the blue painters tape all the time for track and autocross events - it comes in a variety of tack and widths, just look for the most sensitive one. I've never had any issues at all with residue, even after a full track day.

I just ran across this stuff too, but have not yet tried it. I will likely do so in the next few weeks. It's called ISC Surface Guard Tape - Clear Paint Protection Film.

On a side note, I use the "Resuable Vinyl Material" on my coupe for both nubmers and applying sponsor decals. When not at the track, I store the numbers on wax paper - they seem to get about 10-12 events before losing any tack.

Paint Protection

Here is the description from the website:

Surface Guard Tape is a clear protective polyurethane tape that is virtually invisible to the naked eye. Surface Guard will protect any surface that is prone to scratching, chipping, and weathering.

Surface Guard is a semi permanent clear film, with a release liner. 8 Mil Outdoor grade provides excellent protection against ultra violet light, temperature extremes and automotive solvents.

Outdoor grade will not yellow over time.

Be sure to take note that our Surface Guard Tape is made of Polyurethane Material, not PVC or Vinyl. These other types don't conform well, and also cannot, and will not, take the abuse that polyurethane will.

Applications for Surface Guard Tape are endless. From passenger vehicles, bicycles, boats, semis, motorcycles, racecars, RV’s, street rods, snowmobiles, and everything in between, ISC’s Surface Guard can do the job.

Available in either 2" x 12' roll or 4" x 12' roll.

Installation - Click on Image Gallery for Pictures

Surface Guard must be applied to a clean dirt free surface. A heavy duty scissors, knife or blade is necessary to cut Surface Guard. A squeegee should be used to spread out evenly.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The blue tape does a good job protecting, but you really don't want to leave it on there too long after you're done.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The typical blue painters tape comes in two "strengths". The weaker one has a pink color on the cardboard tube it is rolled up on. Available at Home Depot/Lowes... I never looked until I pulled some freshly applied paint off the wall.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see the blue tape used a LOT, and yeh what the guys say above, they remove it after the end of the HPDE before they go home.

3M also makes a film that can be applied in big sheets.

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I'm curious and about to do Viper Days at the end of Feb. Do you guys cover all leading edges or just put tape EVERYWHERE? I've never taped up my Sport Bike and don't have any chips from wheel-to-wheel track days. Guess the tires on these beasts throw a LOT more rocks?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4