What is the best replacement rear speakers for 2002 GTS

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to know what the best speakers for the rear of my GTS,with out modifing the rear area, and a place to buy them. So they would need to be 6.5" I have installed the Polk DB650 in the fronts and that really improved the sound from the stock front speakers.

X vetter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am running a set of JL 6.5" subs that fit perfectlty in the stock positions...huge improvement & easy install

OP
OP
G

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great ,where do I find them. I tried Google ( JL6.5" sub). But no real results to follow.

OP
OP
G

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I found:
Jl Audio XR650-CSi 6.5 2way component system ( $239.00)
JL Audio XR650-CW 6.5 component woofer ( $78.00)
JL Audio TR650-CSi 6.5 component System ( $109.00)

Anyone have any feedback on these units for the rear?

OP
OP
G

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ohh, that must sound GREAT ( Air Vent Speakers ). Your Car Rocks.

Purdue_Boiler_Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't looked at the GTS sound system much, but since you already have decent midrange and tweeter in the front, all you want in the rear is woofer / subwoofer (with appropriate amp and crossover). Otherwise, you will have less than ideal stereo imaging.

OP
OP
G

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I haven't looked at the GTS sound system much, but since you already have decent midrange and tweeter in the front, all you want in the rear is woofer / subwoofer (with appropriate amp and crossover). Otherwise, you will have less than ideal stereo imaging.

Thanks, that kind of leads me to the "JL Audio XR650-CW6.5 Component Woofer"

I wasn't sure about installing a 2way component system with crossovers( JL XR650-CSi6.5 2 way Component System) or just the woofers in the rear ( keeping it stock appearing ), Thanks for the info.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JL makes a 6.5 "SUB" woofer as X Vetter stated. You're wasting time and money if you get a speaker that puts out frequencies any higher than midrange. Since the GTS speakers fire directly into the front of the trunk non of the higher frequencies would get through to the front anyway.

I think the JL sub goes down to around 30-40 HZ. Pretty good for a 6.5 incher.

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I found:
Jl Audio XR650-CSi 6.5 2way component system ( $239.00)
JL Audio XR650-CW 6.5 component woofer ( $78.00)
JL Audio TR650-CSi 6.5 component System ( $109.00)

Anyone have any feedback on these units for the rear?

Yes, digging up an old thread here. I'm about to replace my rears and I'm also looking at the XR650-CW 6.5. GTS-02, did you ever get and install these? How do they sound? Can anyone verify if these are the correct JL speakers we're talking about here? Thanks. :2tu:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're talking about the 6.5" subwoofer than it has to have a W0(zero) in the part number. Otherwise it's just another midwoofer. Check out the JL Audio website.

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're talking about the 6.5" subwoofer than it has to have a W0(zero) in the part number. Otherwise it's just another midwoofer. Check out the JL Audio website.

Thanks GTSnake, I found it here http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=23 I'll take my old speakers out first and make sure that the dimensions of these JL's will fit. Certainly looks like they would be a huge improvement. I'm sure I'll have to look into a new amp, as well. Any further thoughts? :D

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Patrick, thank you for that old thread. It answered most of my questions. I'm ordering those 6W0 JL (4 Ohm) subs today. I'm not going to go the sound deadening route (too much added weight and modification for me), but I should still see a big improvement.

My next step will be to upgrade the amplifier. Again, I want something that will fit exactly into the factory area where the old alpine amp is. I would think that comparing apples to apples, an amplifier that was technologically 10 years newer, would be a vast improvement? ;) The project continues...

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think you can expect TOO much better sound with all the fuel being between you and the speakers in the rear and all. and not to mention i know what your car sounds like...

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think you can expect TOO much better sound with all the fuel being between you and the speakers in the rear and all. and not to mention i know what your car sounds like...

I'd be happy with just an incremental increase in sound quality. :laugh: I'm sure the Paxton and headers ain't gonna help either. :p So if you think about it, it's critical that I make these changes in order to be able to hear anything at all out of my stereo! :buttkick:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks GTSnake, I found it here http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=23 I'll take my old speakers out first and make sure that the dimensions of these JL's will fit. Certainly looks like they would be a huge improvement. I'm sure I'll have to look into a new amp, as well. Any further thoughts? :D

Just keep in mind you won't get the full bass response that a good 8-10" sub will give. You will have lower frequency response but not the nice full bass down to and below 20hz. If you're happy with a slight improvement over stock then you are all set. But if you want audiophile full range depth and good imaging you'll have to do more.

Flash Gordon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished installing the JL Audio 6W0 (4 Ohm) 6.5" subwoofers in the rear hatch of my GTS. As was stated above, they were a direct drop in replacement. No drilling, no cutting...NO NOTHING. :laugh:

So far, these are the only components in the factory system that I have upgraded (still have the stock amp, headunit, front speakers).

I'm no audiophile, but I can definitely say they are a significant improvement over the old stock rears. A pleasing low end punch. Certainly not the low bass of a 10" or 12" subwoofer, but pretty damn good for their size. Hey, for $200 bucks for the pair, I give it a :2tu: .

GreyKnight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just finished the Polk 6500 Component install on the front of the 00' GTS. I also purchased a pair of JL 6W0. I think you need a low pass filter for the 6W0's correct, because installing them on the factory harness is going to pass the full range. Anyone recommended a low pass filter for these JL (brand, place to purchase on the internet)? Thanks.