What is the hp improvement with air filter mod/corsa exhaust on 03 srt/10?

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A buddy of mine is contemplating putting corsa exhaust/air filter mod, 170 degree thermostat and a tune?

What would that yield as far as improvement in hp?

Thanks in advance.

JB

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We did the same--the Corsa Track exhaust/K&N air intake, but didn't put in the thermostat yet and yielded roughly 42rwhp...just the Corsa Exhaust added alot...then we added headers (B&B stepped headers/ceramic coated--that didn't add much more hp)...tuning with the VECII yielded about 15rwhp more, leaned it down a bit, was too rich, as most Vipers are naturally. Added flow-thru cats as well....altogether, stock dyno'd the '05 (like the '03) was 425rwhp, after all above and tuned now 480rwhp, 518tq.
Good luck with the installs, let us know how much gain your buddy gets? ~juli~

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the CORSA 2.5 with all my Cats still. The thermostat and K&N. The Vec III system and I Dynoed 475RWHP and 505RWTQ. I am going to move to the High Flow Cats more for the heat issue but maybe get a 1-2HP gain. I opted to do the 2.5 Corsa because I was worried about being too loud. Well it's not loud enough for me so I think metal substrate High Flows should cure that problem.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shandon--Yeah, we preferred the 3" Corsa Track Exhaust, flow thru cats, 2 cats removed, VECII, the B&B stepped headers ceramic coated....tuned...you have very good numbers for the mods you've done. The exhaust is JUST loud enough to KNOW there's a BEAST on the road!!! AND all is cooler on the driver's side (tho we need to get the thermostat installed) Good luck to ya! ~juli~

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the CORSA 2.5 with all my Cats still. The thermostat and K&N. The Vec III system and I Dynoed 475RWHP and 505RWTQ. I am going to move to the High Flow Cats more for the heat issue but maybe get a 1-2HP gain. I opted to do the 2.5 Corsa because I was worried about being too loud. Well it's not loud enough for me so I think metal substrate High Flows should cure that problem.

If you want loud, you may not be happy with Hi-flow cats. There wasnt much difference to me. Minor,not noticeable to most. But thats my opinion. You want loud and mean, then remove all the cats.

I dyno'd 468 rwhp 480 rwtq with hi-flow cats and corsa track.

I dyno'd 487 rwhp and 513 rwtq after I added green filters,removed cats and DC tune.
Also, from the tune and removing cats I got about 40rwhp in the 3-5k range. Hi-flow cats get a few hp, NO cats gets big gains.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike did you do the Ceramic coated or metalic HF Cats? I hear the metalic, flow better and are louder (not as free flowing as no cats heheheh)?
The thermostat I feel was a great upgrade and was easy for me to do. For that matter so was the VecIII. The car still can get up to 200 degrees on the temp guage when it is either 85+ outside or when im streching my right foot. The nice thing though is that at general cruising speed 80mph:naughty: the temp is around 180 or less. If anything it makes me feel like im babying that engine more while im driving. Heck for $15.00 or so and an hour or so of time the thermostate is a must do!

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check my sig for mods and numbers; the shop said their dyno reads a bit low based on other shop comparos, so my #s may be on the low side of what you could expect from my mods. My AF is pretty rich; in the 11-10 range thru half the rpm range, so I'm thinking about a compter tune/flash. I don't think the peak change will be huge, but I'd expect a nice increase across the rpm range.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check my sig for mods and numbers; the shop said their dyno reads a bit low based on other shop comparos, so my #s may be on the low side of what you could expect from my mods. My AF is pretty rich; in the 11-10 range thru half the rpm range, so I'm thinking about a compter tune/flash. I don't think the peak change will be huge, but I'd expect a nice increase across the rpm range.

Your #'s seem a little low, I had some stuff with just Hi-flows, dynod 10 more rwhp. But dynos are subjective. But Ive seen alot in the 460 range with just corsa. Either way, just keep dyno'ing at same place so you get consistent #'s.

OP
OP
J

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats a lot of great information.

Can I correctly assume 50 flywheel hp with the corsa catback, the thermostat, intake, and tune?

I just have a feeling that DC as all manufacturers tend to do and left some hp corked up in the stock system to pass drive by noise standards? Is that a correct assumption? Not that the stock car doesn't sound impressive. Just wondering what the findings were on this forum.

Is it a fair assumption of 510 plus 50 hp would bring the number to approximately 560hp for that package? (~40 rear wheel)

What should someone assume the cost installed would be for the performance package being discussed?

Thanks again and I'll let him know. (not sure what he will do as the car is fast as hell right out of the box)

Awesome car stock. I can't imagine how much better it would be with upwards of 550 - 560 flywheel hp !

I wonder how many SRT/10 owners overall are going to roll these relatively inexpensive bolt ons compared to the approximate 30 grand for the new 600 + hp 08?

Do you guys anticipate an increase sales for this kind of bolt on upgrade? ( I tend to think so just for the added excitment of an incredible 560hp!

Does Tater's (sp) have a package price installed? Is it less expensive to do it all as a package?

Does it effect the extended warranty?

I realize the 08 is complete package right from the factory but it sure must be tempting to mod the existing SRT/10 ...

JB

Last edited:

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many folks really do these mods just for the raw hp increase. $ for $, I don't think it's a great deal. I think most folks do the exhaust so their Sweet Viper doesn't sound like a UPS truck. The DC flash is a great way to smooth out the overall perf of the engine, idle nicer, etc., peak hp increase for the dollar on that piece isn't very exciting either from what I've seen. If you're friend is not considering going supercharged, a set 3.55 gears would really liven the car up. The last thing I want to sound like is cocky, but I've only had 500rwhp play cars the past 15 yrs, with 3.55-4.11 gearing (except for my lsat Viper), and my SRT/10 with its 3.07 and 450+ rwhp seems too smooth to me, I'm too used to the shorter gears, so I'm really considering this to get a more "ripping" feel on acceleration. I've never been big on big peak hp numbers, more about how fun the car is to drive .. but bragging rights are cool.

As for the 08, it's got a lot going for it than just the 100hp increase. It's whether all things added up make it worth going for, plus having the latest is greatest is .. great. Personally it's a money thing for me, I'd rather get the 08 hood & a Paxton setup and aftermarket rims, great updated looks & 700rwhp for less $, but for me it's about the bang for the buck.

OP
OP
J

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK ! thanks for the good insight. I do understand the majority of the reason to do the corsas is the sound they produce. (For some reason I thought there might be a lot of potiential left untapped because the federal driveby noise standards might be more dramatic on the V10 Viper with its huge rolling stock....but I imagine from what I'm reading here...the stock system is pretty good at flowing the exhaust gases..(amazing technology available to manufacturers today!)

Brings a new perspective to the table.

I think he'll stay N/A and the hp is really very enjoyable as it is.

I just thought that the stock exhaust and tune had a little more room in there as I read earlier posts to this thread.

25 hp is a bit lower than I anticipated..for those three or four mods...

Unless thats rear wheel hP? And even then..

Its more a quality of sound improvement or is it a hp & Tq improvement mid range throughout the rev band? Thats often over looked as equally important..

Peak is cool but improvement throughout the powerband is even more so.

Any body have graphs or posts of what the improvement was at say 3000, 3500 , 4000, 4500, 5000, 5500, and then peak numbers?

Last edited:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We chose the Corsa exhaust and B&B stepped headers/ceramic coated, K&N air intake, VECII and absolutely love the sound--sounds like the BEAST we wanted it to (and no drone)....as far as HP/TQ increases? Stocked at 425rwhp, now have 480rwhp and 518tq....advantage to taking out the crossover is cuts WAY down on heat (flow-thru cats added too). The stock exhaust is absolutely fine (in fact if you SEE it up on a lift, it's quite amazing HOW the crossover pipes are designed!!), but it was just a tad too quiet for us and too hot in the driver's seat...now it's just right-we're content!! Just our .02.
~juli & mike~

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A buddy of mine is contemplating putting corsa exhaust/air filter mod, 170 degree thermostat and a tune?

What would that yield as far as improvement in hp?

Thanks in advance.

JB

If you go with Hi Flow cats, a high flow exhaust system, 170 Thermostat, and a ECM Reflash you are looking at around the following which we are seeing in our 2003 Viper test car.

599.85 EHP & 635.23 ETQ @ 5400 RPMs / 509.87 RWHP & 540.00 RWTQ @ 5400 RPMs

See our web site for more imformation.

http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog

Robbie

OP
OP
J

JBsZ06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go with Hi Flow cats, a high flow exhaust system, 170 Thermostat, and a ECM Reflash you are looking at around the following which we are seeing in our 2003 Viper test car.

599.85 EHP & 635.23 ETQ @ 5400 RPMs / 509.87 RWHP & 540.00 RWTQ @ 5400 RPMs

See our web site for more imformation.

http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog

Robbie

thats dam impressive and pretty much what I had originally hoped for... ...Robbie your testing and achieving approximately 600 flywheel hp.

How many examples of customers cars are hitting that level.

Thanks for the information and congratulations.

JB

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not believe those results are common or accurate. my car on a dyno jet with a baseline performed on same dyno

k & n, corsa(with stock cats), DC reflash, 170 thermostat(no effect on hp whatsoever!) only cooling!

456 wrhp 480rwtq --- using 15 percent drivetrain loss would be approx 524 flywheel hp NOT 600!!

addtion of hi flo cats will only net another possible 5 hp max

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do not believe those results are common or accurate. my car on a dyno jet with a baseline performed on same dyno

k & n, corsa(with stock cats), DC reflash, 170 thermostat(no effect on hp whatsoever!) only cooling!

456 wrhp 480rwtq --- using 15 percent drivetrain loss would be approx 524 flywheel hp NOT 600!!

addtion of hi flo cats will only net another possible 5 hp max

I have to agree...I dynoed at 455 rwhp 474 rwtq with corsa track, rt cats, and K & N, no tune.

Fast Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JB

I'd advise going on the mass of results data, Robbie's I'm sure is a great guy, but remember that's a vendor web site - it may be totally accurate, but I've found sometimes there can be a little exageration with vendors, but that's not meant to be critical, just a recommendation to look more at what masses achieve - as it'll also give you results from many dyno's, which vary greatly, you can then average the results you find for a best estimate of what to expect.

Ooomph

Enthusiast
Reaction score
His numbers might not be too far off though. A lot of the dyno numbers seem a little on the low side, which can be the product of the dyno itself. Bonestock my '03 put down 449.4rwhp & 489.0rwtq on a dynojet dyno. It might just be that Robbie's testmule had a better than average stock dyno.

I haven't had it dyno'ed since the Belanger headers, crossover delete, magnaflows, high-flow ceramic cats, K&N and DC computer mod (skip-shift elim + tune). SOTP (or wishful thinking) is telling me 500rwhp is easily achieveable.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
His numbers might not be too far off though. A lot of the dyno numbers seem a little on the low side, which can be the product of the dyno itself. Bonestock my '03 put down 449.4rwhp & 489.0rwtq on a dynojet dyno. It might just be that Robbie's testmule had a better than average stock dyno.

I haven't had it dyno'ed since the Belanger headers, crossover delete, magnaflows, high-flow ceramic cats, K&N and DC computer mod (skip-shift elim + tune). SOTP (or wishful thinking) is telling me 500rwhp is easily achieveable.

With your mods 500rwhp should be accurate. My buddy put down 496 with just headers and Corsa. I made 486 without headers but I have a DC tune,Corsa and filters. SO with headers i know Ill be at or above 500rwhp. Racer Robbies numbers would seem more accurate if he had headers. But he claims those #'s with just exhaust and tune. I call BS. Every other post Ive seen where someone has nothing to gain, seems more beleivable, and those results show about 480 with Robbbies same mods.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With your mods 500rwhp should be accurate. My buddy put down 496 with just headers and Corsa. I made 486 without headers but I have a DC tune,Corsa and filters. SO with headers i know Ill be at or above 500rwhp. Racer Robbies numbers would seem more accurate if he had headers. But he claims those #'s with just exhaust and tune. I call BS. Every other post Ive seen where someone has nothing to gain, seems more beleivable, and those results show about 480 with Robbbies same mods.

You nailed it. totally agree, 500 should be dead-on with those mods including headers.

My stock numbers were: 442rwhp/481rwtq, without any significant cool-down.

With K&N & Corsa track back; I got like 10rwhp/5rwtq increase.

My numbers are the prime example of the dyno variance issue, as I can "feel" the added power in the car & it's definitely more than 5lb/ft of torque. I'm certain if I go for a dyno pull again on a different dyno I'd see the 470+rwhp range easily. The guy forewarned me his dyno read low numbers, so I don't blame the shop, it was just convenient at the time.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like DMAN said , some shops read real low or too high. I know a guy who dyno'd very low and shop told hime they are typically 10-20hp lower on their readings on our cars.

Either way, just pick ONE shop and continue to use them. That way you can track your progress.

Ooomph

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You nailed it. totally agree, 500 should be dead-on with those mods including headers.

wow, I totally missed that. I mis-interpreted his high-flow exhaust into being headers. now I feel like my stock dyno was a little low!:lmao:

RacerRobbie - does the ehp/etq stand for "estimated" hp & tq? doing the math, both numbers have an exact 15% powertrain loss. is the rwhp/rwtq based on a math derived product of estimated numbers?

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
His "ehp" means engine horse power. He's estimating back.

Back in 2000 on these boards we had a racing crew that worked their engine, they had it out of the car & on an engine dyno, they then put it in the car & chassis dyno'd. They got a drivetrain loss of 12%. That was 7 yrs ago & we were talking GenII's. I don't know how that compares to GenIII's, but I've not read about anybody doing the engine & chassis dyno comparison since then.

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike and Juli's numbers are the MAXIMUM anyone should expect, in MHO. I've got the same numbers with my car, which has Bellanger headers and full exhaust, greens filters, with VEC3 and STOCK profile chip. I haven't been able to get her dynoed with the custom performance chip yet, but I am anxious to find out how much that helps.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to get your car on the Dyno to make the Vec III worth while. I picked up about 20RWHP & close to 30RWT by getting the A/F ratio right. Bring a laptop with you to record the runs information off the Vec III. I got more than that throughout the power range in areas between 3K & 4K RPM. The Vec system realy is a sweet piece for tuning with. When I lay the throttle open you feel the vec system take over (it takes over when throttle is 80% to W/Open).

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike and Juli's numbers are the MAXIMUM anyone should expect, in MHO. I've got the same numbers with my car, which has Bellanger headers and full exhaust, greens filters, with VEC3 and STOCK profile chip. I haven't been able to get her dynoed with the custom performance chip yet, but I am anxious to find out how much that helps.

We concur!!! We used 'green' filters for awhile, then switched back to K&N...really have not noticed any differences per se, but haven't had it dyno'ed with the K&N...yep, gotta have the VECII or III (we have VECII) in order to tune your air/fuel mixtures (lean down if too rich, add fuel if lean, etc.)...
Flyntgr---love to know what figures you put down when you dyno!!! Do you know your stock dyno numbers? ~juli~
***We are happy with the final tuning as Chuck Tator and Sean Roe were involved*:2tu: