What is the latest news on the Ram SRT/10?

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im looking for some new info on the Dodge SRT Ram, This past weekend I almost bought a Ford Lightning but I want to wait to see about the Ram SRT /10. Is Dodge is going to build it, and the price? Any info would be great.

viperweb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It won't have a tow rating, so if you were thinking about hauling the Viper with it, then too bad.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only news I know is that they are building it, around 5000 units and that there are 2-3 color choices. I think they are expecting vehicles to start rolling out in late January?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I hope Steve is correct, but the latest news I heard is that the truck will be delayed with the SRT-10 and the SRT-4 coming out this fall and winter.The original time frame was in January to March , but supposedly that has been set back with all the other launches ( SRT-10, SRT-4, Pacifica, Crossfire, new Ram 3/4 and 1 tons , etc. ).

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That could very well be the case? I do not ask about SRT/Ram, so all I am going by is the information I got back in January at the Auto Show. Have they even assigned a production facility for it?

OP
OP
S

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all now I know some information about the truck!!
Every one is very helpful on this great board!!!!!!!

cool.gif
redface.gif
tongue.gif
dead.gif

usa-clear-s.gif
usa-clear-s.gif
usa-clear-s.gif

NJTy180

Enthusiast
Reaction score
everything i have read lately said the truck is probably gonna be availible in 2004, will have the V10, not the new Hemi motor, black and red are the only colors, and the estimated tow rating will be 10,000 pounds (and why not, the Lightning can tow 5000).
Dodge supposedly says around $35,000, but everyone in the journalism world is guessing $39-40,000.

NJTy180

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank 01GTS:
Hope the 10,000 lbs is right. AND automatic option.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if automatic is indeed an option, i have a feeling the tow rating would go down a bit.

viperweb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still don't think it will have a tow rating. Where did you hear it would have one?

NJTy180

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it was actually stated in an article about the new Chevy Silverado SS
You must be registered for see images

"When it comes to towing, if that's what you think you will be doing with your SS, the 7500 pound capable Silverado outdoes the Lightning by 2500 pounds with its Z82 heavy duty trailering package, though it only beats the Lightning by 90 pounds in payload at 1490 pounds. There are no official figures for the SRT-10 but we estimate it to be capable of hauling a 10,000 pound trailer."

OP
OP
S

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When it comes to towing the only thing I will be towing is a can of whoop $ss..........I cant wait thought the Ford Lightning is a very fast truck 380 hp and 450 ft lbs.

NJTy180

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rob 97 Blue & White GTSSS:
When it comes to towing the only thing I will be towing is a can of whoop $ss..........I cant wait thought the Ford Lightning is a very fast truck 380 hp and 450 ft lbs.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

all the lightning by me run 13.5-14.1. I can run that with my Ty. I do hope to tow the Ty to the track, and run both vehicles
supergrin.gif

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've wanted the new SRT Ram badly, so I follow it as closely as I can with my DC contacts. Here's what I know:

1. Don't know where some of you are getting these dates, but it never was planned to be released until the late summer or fall of 2003 to begin with. I think it's very likely we might be looking at late 03 or early 04 now.

2. I'm sure there are SEVERAL people at DC who are probably tired of hearing my MAJOR pleading and whining about the tow rating...... unfortunately....... apparently without results. According to the last I heard about this issue, a month ago, it will be the same disaster as the RT Dakota, and NOT rated for towing... let alone for something as milk-toast as 10,000 pounds for that much power in a full size Ram chassis. From what I hear, it has more to do with engine electronics and long term powertrain durability than anything else.

3. Last I heard, the build location contest was down to either St. Louis or....... Mexico.

Personally, I think it's a major marketing mistake not to have it rated for a decent tow payload. They could probably sell out literally half the production to only Viper guys who want it for dragging the snakes behind. The idea of putting a frilly little "tu-tu" on a RAMMMMMMM, powered by a Viper V-10 makes no marketing sense to me. Not the image of a "Ram Tough" truck, carved in my mind, and I'm sure others, through decades of expensive advertising. But, what do I know? Anyway, what it DOES mean personally is that they will probably lose a sale to me, at least for THAT model. I'll likely be taking a Hemi in a 1500 as soon as those become available..... unless someone tells me much different soon.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
2 weeks ago, the Viper-motored (6-speed only) Ram SRT mule ( I think #1? ) was hot-weather testing in Death Valley.

Look for this 2004 model to debut in vary late 2003 at the earliest.

Like King says: SRT/4 and SRT/10 dominate the schedule right now. The SRT/4 is zooming around Detroit area now......and was at THE AZ-PG when the F-16 race was held in March......

OP
OP
S

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jon,

Thats a long time to wait but, the way the stock market is the longer the better. I will keep telling myself that for the next year.Im sure the dealers will mark them up any ways.......

cool.gif
usa-clear-s.gif
usa-clear-s.gif
usa-clear-s.gif
usa-clear-s.gif
cool.gif

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The plant manager at St. Louis North Ram Truck Assembly Plant and the UAW Local 136 President both told use that we were supposed to be the plant building the Ram SRT/10.
But you never know what D.C. will do.

As far as time frame, everything that I've heard is fall of 2003 (way to far off IMO).

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It seems like D.C. has made up my mind for me as to whether I'll be getting a a Hemi Ram or a Ram SRT/10.
pissed.gif

The latest thing I've been told at work (by one of the Ram DR launch team) about the Ram SRT/10 is that it will not be built in St. Louis.
It will be built in Mexico (Saltillo I believe).

I won't be buying a truck built in Mexico.
mad.gif

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your really concerned with towing get the diesel.....I drove a new dually with the new cummins in it and it was very quiet compared to my 12 valve cummins. What does the factory tow rating have to do with anything.....put a hitch on it and tow....if it will do the job go for it. I love the Ram SRT !!

NJTy180

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vipermad:
Ok, I'll re-phrase. Get what you want and be happy...but ANYTHING is better than a CHEVY!
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, its a good thing i drive a GMC then :roll:

NJTy180

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rob 97 Blue & White GTSSS:
Ouch that hurts, I like the Lighting more and more.sad to say

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

dont EVER say that again....
nono.gif
nono.gif

NJTy180

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vipermad:
THAT combination relly DOES spell divorce!!
laugh.gif
It would make a good trio as long as the GM stuff stays in another driveway!! (just poking fun the NJTY!!)
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks
supergrin.gif

how about those other toys stay in the driveway,....i'll be at the strip
supergrin.gif
haha

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members