What is your best dyno on your viper

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MY 99 with just K&N's and smooth tubes dynoed 417hp 468tr on a 101 degree day in Texas, seems high. What about u guys??

LTHL VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone should keep in mind that all dynos are not necessarily created equal. First of all, there are several different types of dynos. Within the same type, each dyno can give different readings. Even the same brand of dyno can give different readings. The readings are only as accurate as the data and parameters input and read, and the equipment needs to be calibrated, checked, and placed in a neutral area. Different manufacturers have updated software and parts along the way that can also effect the results.

The best way to use a dyno, and the primary reason we purchased one for use at APEX Motorsports last year, was to measure the effects of modifications. We do not look as much at peak numbers as much as differences between modifications and the average gains across the rpm band.

Here are some examples to clarify:
1) We could make my 98 GTS gain 25+ rwhp by doing NOTHING! (just playing around with the conditions)
2) I could get people excited by saying they could get 60 rwhp by adding a particular part. But what if it caused an app. 30 hp and 40 ft.lb DECREASE between 2000-4000 rpms? Doesn't sound so appealing now, does it?
3)What if a dyno run showed that a Stock GTS pulled only 385 rwhp, but after headers and exhaust made 445 rwhp. Some might say, " That's only 20 more rwhp than my stock GTS; it made 425 rwhp". However, what should be considered is that it made 60 more rwhp over stock. BTW- This is a hypothetical situation.

The point is that it is VERY difficult, if not impossible to compare results between 2 different cars, in different areas, under different conditions, using different dynos.

Don't mean to put a damper on the post, but we often speak with people who don't realize all of this stuff, and I think they find it useful.

However, with that being said, seeing different numbers obtained with modifications is pretty cool!!
Take Care (I am stepping down from the platform).
-Wayne

OP
OP
B

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car has 13,000 miles on it, I can't wait to see what it will dyno once it cools off into the 70's. Since the last dyno I have clipped my rear muffler to. Hope thats good for something (sounds good).

PMUM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has been going on for a while, but in the last big post that came up on this most people who have owned pre and post '00 cars favor the power of the older Gen II cars. I might have had a stronger '98 and a softer '01 but the difference was staggering.

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I assume all dyno posts are SAE #'s but I am not sure everyone else does. I wish everyone would post which they are. Mine were 422/455 SAE, 431/464 STD. 97 GTS K&N/Tubes, 12k miles.

What is up with ice bagging the motor for dyno results?!!? Sure you get better numbers but unless you you do that all the time the numbers are meaningless. Since the ambient temp is still the same the SAE correction factor doesn't take that into account. Why not just fake the correction factor or easier yet just lie about your numbers....
smile.gif