What kind of Transmission?

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Gen 1 1992-1996 Roadsters came with a Borg Warner T-56 transmission. It was the same basic design as they used in the Corvette but is not interchangeable

The Viper transmission has had many upgrades over the years as the torque required for it to handle has increased. Tremec replaced Borg Warner as the manufacter of the T-56 transmisson and has been making it since. There are many interesting details dealing with these transmissions from year to year. There are tricks to make the later ones fit the earlier cars. The Viper truck transmissions were very popular with the budget minded turbo crowd as the internals were heat treated better than the car models and tended not to fail under higher loads. Many aftermarket companies have differing internal ratios to bring the gearing closer together in the higher gears and complete shaft and gearsets are available for high output use.

Great gearbox and fun to work with.

The early T-56 was a slick gearbox with really light feel, but a bit of vagueness in the gear selection. It came with a standard ATF lubricant that gave soft shifting but was heat sensitive.

Blown408

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Interesting, was not aware that the Viper truck tranny would fit the same. I would def like to hear what is required to make it work properly.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the truck trans will fit, but any Gen 3 trans will need a tone ring installed so the speedo will work. I just had mine finally go in my 99. Had a spare, swapped it out. Getting the stock one rebuilt and it will now become my spare.