What shift light are you guys using? ---

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was interested in getting a shift light for spirited driving.

Seems like a good idea to help keep my eyes on the road instead of the tach.

Most of the lights out there are HUGE though.

I was wondering what brand/model light you guys are using that looks clean with our interiors ... and where you ended up mounting it.

Pics would be awesome.

My friend has one of these in another car, and its pretty big ... plus I don't want to drill to mount it anywhere noticeable and cause damage (will 3m sticky tape be strong enough ... or Velcro?):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250639165178?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Its the AutoMeter Pro Shift Lite #5340

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that a 5400 rpm "pill"?

Did you have to drill into the column to get it to mount , or did you strap it somehow?

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that a 5400 rpm "pill"?

Did you have to drill into the column to get it to mount , or did you strap it somehow?

Yep, 5400rpm. By the time my 48 year old neurons recognize the light and scream "SHIFT!!!" to my right arm, I just beat the fuel cut off. Works for me.

I drilled the column cover, but got a spare ($25. It's the same as a '96 Dakota IIRC) so I can go back to stock for Barrett-Jackson 2030.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was pretty funny ... thanks for the heads up , I think I am going to go the same route you went. I appreciate it :) ---

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one that Black Snake has works great and really catches your eyes without looking down. It attaches to the column as he has done. I used it for my old GTS at the track and used the RPM pill closest to the max HP and torque curve without going over. My car was highly modified for road racing and it really helped. I just use the factory light now on my Gen 4 ACR but its hard to see. The smaller tube unit is ok too IMO. Well worth it. The units come with several pills for your application and just slips in.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a shift beeper. I hid it in the seatbelt slot. It beeps at 4K 4.3K 4.6K and then is steady at 4.9K.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
15.9 on the air/fuel gage....I prefer mine to hang around 13-14.......just lookin..........nice guages.......

Lol, thanks. I was just coasting to a stop in traffic. It bounces around a bit and I just caught it on the high end in the pic. Runs mid-10 to 11 under boost.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Raptor shift light on top of my steering column; it works very nicely and is easily seen even in bright sunlight in my peripheral vision.

Of course, I bought the green lit version :2tu:

Rich

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a reminder that later generations of Viper had a stock standard shift light. When you get close to red line the little yellow shift up light turns bright red.

The Gen V has the entire display light up bright red when near red line. Pretty cool

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got back from my shop trying to get the Auto Meter 5340 light installed.

Auto Meter themselves said this unit can not be used with an accurate reading ... its only designed for 4,6,8 cylinder engines.

Something about "2.5" setting.

I asked what other products they sell , that will work for our application ... and they said NOTHING.

Are you guys using that shift light even though its not accurate for a v10?

Now it looks like I have to sell it , MSD makes one for the v10 and its digitally adjustable ... not requiring pills , accurate to 10rpm. Seems pretty cool though ---

BlackOutBoxing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an autometer digital pro shift system. It in a pillar pod. You can put it in a pod on he column as well. It has tons of features. You can adjust the shift light rpm for each gear. It has a 2 step launching system for drag racing. The shift light color can be changed in seconds to any of 7 colors! It also has a playback mode. You can adjust the shift light brightness. Oh u can set it to progressive shift light, this gives u flashes of a different color to get u ready for the shift light. Also gives you he highest rpm reached in a particular run. I just wanted it because i like blue, but this thing is incredible! My car makes different peak power at different rpm in each different gear! Every time that light comes on i know thats the most power im making in whatever gear im in. Pretty important info!

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
looks like those shift beepers are out of stock (are they still being made?)
I bought one for my Viper a few months ago. Send the guy an email. I suspect that he is just out of stock on some parts. This appears to be just a side business by an enthusiast. He is very well known and respected on the S2000 forum. Most of his products were developed for that car. They appear to be just something he builds to order or in low volume.

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine works fine.

Is it accurate, or are you using a different pill for a specific RPM?

Im having issues with the MSD one now.

My shop is going to hook up the Auto Meter 5340 I had at first ... and figure out the pill that will give me the shift light I want at 5400rpm.

Something about the coil setup is where 1 coil fires off 4 cylinders, and the other fires off 6 cylinders? Is that right?

They will hook it up as a 4 cylinder on the 4 cylinder coil, or a 6 cylinder on the 6 cylinder coil ... then put in a higher or lower pill to get it to light up. ---

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it accurate, or are you using a different pill for a specific RPM?

Im having issues with the MSD one now.

My shop is going to hook up the Auto Meter 5340 I had at first ... and figure out the pill that will give me the shift light I want at 5400rpm.

Something about the coil setup is where 1 coil fires off 4 cylinders, and the other fires off 6 cylinders? Is that right?

They will hook it up as a 4 cylinder on the 4 cylinder coil, or a 6 cylinder on the 6 cylinder coil ... then put in a higher or lower pill to get it to light up. ---

Unfortunately the shift light was on the car when I got it from the original owner, so I wasn't privy to the details of the selection and installation. I do recall that when I was contemplating changing shift lights, I came across something somewhere that gave the details of why this light works with a V-10. I wish I had bookmarked it. I actually spent an hour or so Friday night trying to find it again for you and couldn't. As I recall it has something to do with the pills, but I forget the details. Sorry to not be more helpful..

Mine is spot on, and I have changed the pills several times. Always accurate.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought an Autometer shift light as well. Specified for V-10. It came set for a V-8. I called Autometer and they said I needed an add on piece to get it to accept a V-10 sending. I ordered a 4,000 Rpm set of pills as I calculated 4400 + 20% = 5280. Shift light comes on about 5300 Rpm.:smirk:

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, thanks guys ... I will need to play with the pills and figure it out. I appreciate the 20% calculation starting point to figuring out the shift point. I want it around 5400 ... looks like I will have to go with a 4400 pill too. If I jump up to 4600 , it makes it a 5520 shift point. ---

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960