What should a new head gasket install cost?

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And what is, where do I get, the best gasket for a '94 RT? I've got boiling coolant and expecting the worst so I want to be prepared for what to shell out for the repair.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And what is, where do I get, the best gasket for a '94 RT? I've got boiling coolant and expecting the worst so I want to be prepared for what to shell out for the repair.

Upper end gasket set #4626640AD MSRP $615.00 [in stock]
It takes me 7 to 8 hours to do the job [$90 per].

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, Where are you located? How far from Detroit? Would you or anyone recommend a technician in Michigan?

I'm going to have this problem some day and I plan to trailor it to you if I can't be convinced someone is as good in my area.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Patrick,
I suppose it is possible to have head coolant leaks and see nothing coming out of the head gasket, although probably not the norm.
Go here and see the pictures of the coolant leaks my car showed between the heads and the block. Scroll down to my reply. Mine are now fixed/replaced.

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=123575&Forum=UBB14&Words=head%20gaskets&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=123575&Search=true#Post123575

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, Where are you located? How far from Detroit? Would you or anyone recommend a technician in Michigan?

I'm going to have this problem some day and I plan to trailor it to you if I can't be convinced someone is as good in my area.

Hey Craig,
I'm one hour North of NY City on the CT boarder.
"Roanoke Motor Co." [Roanoke, IL] would be able to handle it for you, but you are more then welcome to come visit me! :D
Thanks!!

OP
OP
P

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Don, I'm pretty sure I need the head gasket replaced. What is a little odd about mine is that a couple years ago I had the tell tale leak down the block marks. But then it stopped and although the leak marks are still there, they are long dried and old. Nearly two years later of perfect driving without any problems, the car now seems to be running a little warmer than usual (although I may have only noticed this because I was smelling coolant). The main symptom is the steam out of the plastic tank cap. I'm assuming that it is because the gasket is allowing the cylinder pressure into the water jacket. It's tough to do a leak-down test on a Viper though isn't it? Without a real radiator it is difficult to see air bubbles in the plastic tank when doing a leak down. So I'm thinking of doing the gaskets but would hate to rip it all apart only to find that it didn't need it and there was a different problem.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Upper end gasket set #4626640AD MSRP $615.00 [in stock]
It takes me 7 to 8 hours to do the job [$90 per].

Chuck, $615 dollars ? Dang thats higher than a diesel head gasket. What all does that include....and don't you sell for %20 off msrp ?

GCHDEALER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke with Chuck and John B on the headgaskets and they both sell them for around the same money only a few dollars different. Chuck was very helpful in explaining everything involved to do the job. The price he is quoting is for all of the top end gaskets to rebuild the top half of the motor. This replaces every gasket you remove to get to the heads. I would not want to reuse any old gaskets on my car, so when I do the job I will get the whole set. BTW Chuck did quote me the discounted price 20%. Thanks for all the helpful info Chuck it was a real pleasure speaking with you on the phone.
Chad

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quote
Chuck, $615 dollars ? Dang thats higher than a diesel head gasket. What all does that include....and don't you sell for %20 off msrp ?

[/QUOTE]

2>New steel head gaskets
2>Valve cover gaskets
4>Exhaust manifold gaskets [upper & lower GENI]
4>Water jacket gaskets [thermostat housing & w/plates]
1>Thermostat gasket
2>Intake gaskets
2>T/body gaskets
1>IAC motor gasket

Yes 20% off = $492.00 PLUS FREE SHIPPING!! :D

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would recommend buying new head bolts too. Once torqued, they are stretched and should not be reused. Mopar bolt are very high quality, but I think ARP sells them as well.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in the process of ripping my 94 apart as we speak. I have it all apart..just the heads are still on. I ordered my gaskets from Chuck. He is a great guy who is knowledgeable. I enjoyed the conversation we had and he offered a few tips as well as great prices. Anything I need I will order from him without question.

As far as replacing head bolts, I am going to pull a few head bolts the next time I work on the car. If they look good and aren't rusty or corroded, I will buy new ones. A few people recommend new ones but I am budget minded (new bolts are about 6 bucks a piece - over $100 for set) and in all the wrenching I have ever done, haven't snapped a head bolt ever.

If anyone has done this head job themselves - what size thread chaser/tap does one use for the head bolts. I want to make sure I have the right one available.

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well,

Just been busy working on my cars...I usually jump back and forth from the Viper to some vintage Mopar iron that I have. Currently "restifying" a 1972 Dodge Coronet Crestwood wagon...original car in great shape needing new woodgrain (faded a bit) and some interior freshening. Came stock with ralley wheels and ralley dash with tach - pretty rare for a wagon! Too cold to apply the woodgrain applique right now. So...replacing the head gaskets on the Viper as we speak...unfortunately I can't get to the shop since we have about 20+ inches of snow... :usa: