what type of oil to use?

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom's the man :)

Dean is fortunate to have oil analysis available, we do this sort of analysis for our high dollar machine CNC tools (mills, lathes, etc) at our plant. We mosly look for metals that indicate component wear, but also pay close attention to acid buildup to determine oil change time.

I remember the first(?) oil thread Tom posted, it was pretty insightful in that he said, change your oil often, and get an oil with a good additive package, and life will be good.

I like Mobil 1 10w30 in my Viper, but not for the reasons many might state here. I use it in my daily drivers too... my 180,000 mile '97 Plymouth mini van and my 130,000 mile '89 Shelby Dakota. When I peel open the valve covers or remove the oil pan for inpection on these vehicles, everything is clean as can be. No sludge, no buildup of any kind. Wear? none that I can see. Cam lobes look great, as do rockers. Sixteen years of service out of my Shelby with no engine issues other than a waterpump (bearing)... Never got this type of result from non-synthetic oil when I used it.

Motul Bob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,
If I ever implied that Mobil 1 was not a true synthetic, or that it was not a good product, I apologize. It in just that in the engine oil industry, the term synthetic has been corrupted. Glass could be interpreted as synthetic sand, but we know it as glass. It is important for the consumer to know what is in the product. Again, that is why I believe it was wise for Dodge to recommend a high quality, readily available oil. In Europe the trends are going toward manufacturer specs over-riding the API and ACEA specs. This is so the manufacturer has better control over the quality of the product going in the car.
Some euro car manufacturers have had major issues in the USA because poor quality of lubricants, and the consumer not being educated on the product.
I only have dyno results from a (cough) MR2, which gained 5hp and 5ft/lb with Motul 300V. The car went from 230 to 235 hp, same day, temps, and viscosity.
If I can get my hands on more dyno results, I will be sure and post them.
Thanks