What would be a good selling price for my 97 B/W?

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>I love it but i never get to drive it so i want to let someone else enjoy it.<<<

I do not understand this - please elaborate :drive:

OP
OP
O

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>I love it but i never get to drive it so i want to let someone else enjoy it.<<<

I do not understand this - please elaborate :drive:
With work (i don't want to park it at my workplace) i don't get to drive it Mon-Fri at all, and it rains the majority of the weekends it seems here in good ol Ohio, so i only end up driving it a few times a month normally. Not really worth it to me.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
97 GTS for $44k??:omg: Are 97 vipers really fetching these numbers. After spending time behind the wheel of a gen 2 and owning gen 3's I would for sure buy another 06 Coupe for the same price before buying a 9 year older gen 2. Just my opinion but I think 25-28k would be the fair price range:dunno:. Best of luck:2tu:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
more pics and more detailed description would help

needs to be in the $30's, $40's is for all stock, show queen imo

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think in this market your price is quite high. I see '01/'02 ACRs going in the low/mid 40's range. The Viper market has been in a pretty depressed state for awhile now. I would think $36-40 range is more appropriate and the bottom end will yield a quicker sale.

Good luck with your sale, hate to see you leaving the Viper nation.

OP
OP
O

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see maybe somewhere in the upper $30k range but these people saying $20k range are out of their mind.

ViperNM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
97 GTS for $44k??:omg: Are 97 vipers really fetching these numbers. After spending time behind the wheel of a gen 2 and owning gen 3's I would for sure buy another 06 Coupe for the same price before buying a 9 year older gen 2. Just my opinion but I think 25-28k would be the fair price range:dunno:. Best of luck:2tu:

Y G B S M!

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see maybe somewhere in the upper $30k range but these people saying $20k range are out of their mind.

You're absolutely right. If you don't HAVE to let it go, set your price upper 30's and wait. I think the economy has driven the cost of these cars down not so much because people don't have money to buy them, but because there have been a LOT of 'necessity induced" sales at very low prices sort of artificially deflating the market. Great if you're a buyer, but not if you're an owner or seller. Just be careful because you will get some folks chiming in on what they think your car is worth even though they've never owned or even ridden in one. The more they can depress the market, the cheaper it is for them when "buy time" comes.)

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What, is that a bad question or something? Just trying to get an idea.

Of course not, but as you can see everybody has an opinion and since your getting guesstimates that are 15K apart it just shows that no one knows. Offer it for 44K and when you don't get any bites readjust. IMO your mods work against you in this case as crazy as it seems. A BW with only 10K is no 20K car, I'd say 35K or so.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you, clueless.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're absolutely right. If you don't HAVE to let it go, set your price upper 30's and wait. I think the economy has driven the cost of these cars down not so much because people don't have money to buy them, but because there have been a LOT of 'necessity induced" sales at very low prices sort of artificially deflating the market. Great if you're a buyer, but not if you're an owner or seller. Just be careful because you will get some folks chiming in on what they think your car is worth even though they've never owned or even ridden in one. The more they can depress the market, the cheaper it is for them when "buy time" comes.)

^^This is a pretty correct statement.

I've already gotten into this subject in another thread so I won't get "too in-depth" in this one, but just browse the classifieds and see what the range is for a car similar to yours in year and miles to get the most accurate price that you could sell it for. Normally 44k for your car would be a great deal, and still might be if the right person out there is looking for what you have. However, everyone in this post saying to sell in the mid $20k range is pretty ridiculous. If you dropped it somewhere between $36-$40k that would be the lowest I would go. In regards to your car having mods, it could go either way. Someone obviously looking for a bone stock car would be less interested, as in someone who plans to buy a Viper and mod it who likes what you've done to it, might be more inclined to buy yours. Just don't be in a rush to make the wrong move, put a price you think is right and wait a little bit on it, if you feel you need to lower it more later to make a sale, then do it. But if you want someone's opinion who owns a B/W Viper and knows a good deal about them, I would strongly advise you not to go lower then $36k on your starting price. I have a 96 B/W and I paid 45k for it 2 years ago with 9,181 miles. I don't really believe in 2 years time your car would drop more then $10,000 with similar miles, considering the 96/97 B/W's are classic collectibles as it is. I would imagine ViperJon could agree with me on this one.

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
44 is a fair listing price.(i didnt say sale price...) Many people are willing to pay a premium for the B/W regardless of mileage.

goodluck with your sale.

OP
OP
O

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^^This is a pretty correct statement.

I've already gotten into this subject in another thread so I won't get "too in-depth" in this one, but just browse the classifieds and see what the range is for a car similar to yours in year and miles to get the most accurate price that you could sell it for. Normally 44k for your car would be a great deal, and still might be if the right person out there is looking for what you have. However, everyone in this post saying to sell in the 20ks is pretty ridiculous. If you dropped it somewhere between 36-40k that would be the lowest I would go. In regards to your car having mods, it could go either way. Someone obviously looking for a bone stock car would be less interested, as in someone who plans to buy a Viper and mod it who likes what you've done to it, might be more inclined to buy yours. Just don't be in a rush to make the wrong move, put a price you think is right and wait a little bit on it, if you feel you need to lower it more later to make a sale, then do it. But if you want someone's opinion who owns a B/W Viper and knows a good deal about them, I would strongly advise you not to go lower then 36k on your starting price. I have a 96 B/W and I paid 45k for it 2 years ago with 9,181 miles. I don't really believe in 2 years time your car would drop $10,000, considering the 96/97 B/W's are classic collectibles.

Thanks, yea i saw a stock one with double the miles was listed for $43k so that's what i based it off of. I agree about the mods, it just needs the right buyer. It probably has well over $20k in solid mods on it and it runs very good. It also has a clean carfax.

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty easy to find B/W cars with 6000 - 12,000 miles selling for mid to high $30's right now. $40's is high. GLWS.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just be careful because you will get some folks chiming in on what they think your car is worth even though they've never owned or even ridden in one. The more they can depress the market, the cheaper it is for them when "buy time" comes.)

+1,
for example, see post just above me...

This guy likely knows minimal info(pics&description on ad) about the cars he is talking about. Vipers should be inspected in person as a large percentage of Gen2's have been in some type of accident in their life. If your serious, inspection on a lift to check over the underside/frame is mandatory. Goodluck with your Viper search ACRSNK.

OP
OP
O

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1,

This guy likely knows minimal info(pics&description on ad) about the cars he is talking about. Vipers should be inspected in person as a large percentage of Gen2's have been in some type of accident in their life. If your serious, inspection on a lift to check over the underside/frame is mandatory. Goodluck with your Viper search ACRSNK.

Yea i had mine inspected when i bought it. Can't always trust a clean Carfax. The guys at McCann Racing said it looked good and it had "a lot of nice stuff on it".

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have the stock parts for it? The right buyer for your car is likely going to want some or all of them.

Without actually knowing your car I can only speculate, but having recently sold my own '97 B/W, if your car is a clean, no-stories car I would say your price is fair and if you aren't in a rush to sell you can get your asking price.

Good luck and be sure to take advice from people who have not bought or sold a B/W GTS with a grain of salt. They don't follow the typical market trend for Vipers.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Excellent mods. This car seems that it might have the 'right mods'. Stock Cats need to be replaced for comfort and exhaust for sound quality to remove the "UPS truck sound" that all the old magazines complained about. Were the rear brakes upgraded? Lightweight wheels are an excellent upgrade for the EARLY 97s which came with cast wheels. This looks like an excellent DRIVER car and I agree that it must be worth $40K+. Not sure how long it'll take to sell though. As mentioned above there are quite a few Bargain Basement cars available.

Ted

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW I do like the B/W vipers they are def. the icon of the viper world but I dont really know what they are worth because I have not put alot of effort into pricing the gen 2's I am just a guy who has driven the gen 2 and the gen 3 and made a decision on which was right for me. I look at my bang for the buck when its my money being spent and for the same amount of money I would (and have done so a few times now) buy a 4 or 5 year old gen 3 viper way before I bought a 13 year old Gen 2. So call me what you want but the op is asking for peoples opinions and thats exactly what he will get here. And I can assure you all the hype you try to build up on these treads will not keep the price of certain vipers as high as you would like them to be:2tu: Hell dont get me wrong I would love for my 06 coupe to be worth the same amount next year as it is now but I live in the real world and will promise you if its on wheels you are loosing your butt in investment terms. Again best of luck but seriously just keep her cause you will regret it when its gone:)

Last edited:

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK ya'll got me wondering just what is the market on these cars and I will admit they are alot higher then I ever imagined(or would ever think about paying) but from what I saw in my few minutes of looking very few are actually selling at the $40k range so it must take that special someone but the potential is def. there so I will agree the upper $30's to $40k seems to be the ball park for a actual selling price. I guess its all about the color and the image wrapped around the B/W cars. Again best of luck bud:2tu: Its a sweet car and if you sell her go and buy a 06 or if possible an 08+ coupe next:D bet you would like her even more:headbang:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gen II looks alone are worth the extra $10K.............................

No, really. They are worth more........................:D:D:D

OP
OP
O

OSUbrew

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent mods. This car seems that it might have the 'right mods'. Stock Cats need to be replaced for comfort and exhaust for sound quality to remove the "UPS truck sound" that all the old magazines complained about. Were the rear brakes upgraded? Lightweight wheels are an excellent upgrade for the EARLY 97s which came with cast wheels. This looks like an excellent DRIVER car and I agree that it must be worth $40K+. Not sure how long it'll take to sell though. As mentioned above there are quite a few Bargain Basement cars available.

Ted

Yea the exhaust sounds fantastic. Way better than the stock exhaust on the 99 GTS i had before. When you're cruising along it sounds like a thunderstorm.

The original front brakes were moved to the rear, and the big break kit is up front. McCann told me it has steel brake lines on it as well.

ACRSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1,

I actually know quite a bit. Thanks for the well wishes though.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually know quite a bit. Thanks for the well wishes though.

We can only go by what we see. There are people on this board who are long time, very knowledgeable Viper owners that for whatever reason choose to be listed as Enthusiasts. If you are one of them, you kinda have to take the lumps that come with remaining anonymous. No offense is intended of course, but this is the internet, so when all you can see is the cover of the book, that's what you judge it by. Just sayin'.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960