What year Viper should I buy?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say get a gen II. I don't know how you feel about yellow but...2001 Dodge Viper RT/10 (Premier Sportscars Co.)
I bought my car from them 3 years ago now and have had no issues. The only issue I had with the car when I got it was a leaking seal in the rear which the viper tech told me was probably due to the car not being driven a lot and was common. Ask for chris guyer if you call. My .02

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mileage should not be the only determining factor, there can be problems that dont become noticed until the car is used as designed/engineered. If you can afford an '03 or newer you will still potentially will be getting a car that is still covered by some form of factory warranty. If you can buy an extended warranty buy ONLY the Chrysler/Dodge backed MaxCare DO NOT buy an aftermarket warranty. If you can ADD or transfer(there is a fee) the extended warranty DO IT. The '03 and newer cars are more powerful, have amazing brakes, easy to use watertite convertable top, a usable trunk....... no matter what you do check the car our with a certified Viper tech. good luck on your search

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd say get a gen II. I don't know how you feel about yellow but...2001 Dodge Viper RT/10 (Premier Sportscars Co.)
I bought my car from them 3 years ago now and have had no issues. The only issue I had with the car when I got it was a leaking seal in the rear which the viper tech told me was probably due to the car not being driven a lot and was common. Ask for chris guyer if you call. My .02

Thanks for the link. Nelson Auto Group has a 98 that has the same mileage & color, with the hard top. They are asking $41,000 for it. I'm thinking of seeing what kind of deal they will do. It's a pretty nice car. There are some swirl marks but besides that it's pretty nice.

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
mileage should not be the only determining factor, there can be problems that dont become noticed until the car is used as designed/engineered. If you can afford an '03 or newer you will still potentially will be getting a car that is still covered by some form of factory warranty. If you can buy an extended warranty buy ONLY the Chrysler/Dodge backed MaxCare DO NOT buy an aftermarket warranty. If you can ADD or transfer(there is a fee) the extended warranty DO IT. The '03 and newer cars are more powerful, have amazing brakes, easy to use watertite convertable top, a usable trunk....... no matter what you do check the car our with a certified Viper tech. good luck on your search

Thanks for the info.

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you be interested in a Original owner Silver 2004 w/ Woodhouse installed Paxton Supercharger? No issues 8600 miles. Priced to sell at $52,000.00.

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
been following your thread with interest. I am also waiting to buy. I do not have a kid on the way but do have a daughter and grand child in my house. I am waiting to pay off all bills before buying because like some have said, you never know if you have a paycheck next month. from all I have read, I will be getting a 98 or newer. As for timing, I was where you are now, I used to buy muscle cars every 2 years, once a family came along it all came to a stop.

You have money set aside to buy your dream, DO IT when you find the right car and don't regret it. you only live once. pay cash so there is no payment associated with this dream, that a child expense might get in the way of.

good luck to you.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RayW's would be a great car to own. This would be a good buy. If i were to sell my 96 BW GTS i'd be in the 60K range.

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would you be interested in a Original owner Silver 2004 w/ Woodhouse installed Paxton Supercharger? No issues 8600 miles. Priced to sell at $52,000.00.

You can send me info on it. But not sure about the Supercharger. How long has it been on? Looking for less things to go wrong.

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You have money set aside to buy your dream, DO IT when you find the right car and don't regret it. you only live once. pay cash so there is no payment associated with this dream, that a child expense might get in the way of.

good luck to you.

That's what I'm trying to do. Good luck to you also in finding your car.

Hot-Rod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great info here! It seems a $40,000ish gen 3 would be less prone to issues then a $40,000 gen 2. at least in theory.

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, you get what you pay for. The Gen III or IV really are great cars. They are user friendly and everything works, good a/c, good stereo, really an everyday super-car. I drove my GenIII as a day driver for 3years/36K miles and I coulde have doubled that but my lease was up. My Gen IV is also good but I don't use it every day.

RSNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Long rambling post below. Summary is:

Buy a Gen II (preferably 1999, 2001, or 2002) or buy a Gen IV. The Gen II's are great cars and have the looks of a truly special car. The Gen III's are better everyday cars than Gen II's in terms of refinement and brakes but that is about it. If you are going to make the sacrifice of the looks of the Gen II, skip the Gen III altogether and get a Gen IV as it is clearly superior in nearly every way to a Gen III.

1999 because it has everything good about a 2001 and 2002 (18” wheels, interior trim upgrades, passenger airbag shut off, etc.) except for the ABS and it is the last year of the lumpier cam and forged pistons. 2000 is the same as a 1999 except it loses the lumpier cam and forged pistons and still doesn’t have ABS. 2001 and 2002 are the same as a 1999 except gain ABS. I am sure there are other minor differences in those years that I am neglecting to mention, but those are the important ones for me.

I bought a '99 RT/10 in 2002 and still have it. I bought it with about 7k miles on it and it now has about 23k. The only problem that I have had with it is a spring clip on the clutch pedal assembly popping off causing the clutch to immediately engage. I take care of the car, but I also drive it hard. I have run it through the quarter at four drag strips, and had it on two road courses (I am guessing the drag strip launches and shifting caused the spring clip to come loose, kind of a fluke thing I think).

Modifications I have made are B&B headers, high flow cats, exhaust, smooth tubes, Roe fan mod, road racing DOT tires.

I have been very happy with the car. I have thought about trading it for a newer model however I just love the looks of the Gen I and Gen II cars. Certainly the Gen III and Gen IV cars are better cars in terms of being a usable car. Mine is anything but refined. Refinement and brakes are about all a Gen III has over a late Gen II though. Stock for Stock, a Gen II and Gen III are pretty much a draw in the quarter. The additional horsepower seems to be negated by the taller gearing due to the taller tires. On a road course the Gen III is superior to a Gen II. I attribute most of that to the brakes.

In my opinion, the Gen IV is the first Viper that is enough superior to the Gen II to potentially outweigh the looks advantage of the Gen II. I kept hoping that there would be a Gen V that went back to more of the organic shapes in the Gen II and that had all of the other upgrades and then some found in the Gen IV. Unfortunately, I doubt that is ever going to happen, unless the Viper product line is purchased by some Angel that buys the line just to keep it going. Assuming that is the case, I plan on buying a 2011 or 2010 Viper (if one of those years are the last) and sticking with it.

OP
OP
L

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Went and checked out a 04, today. I liked it besides color, (Always thought I would own a red viper, it was silver). But not sure how close we are going to get on price. They were willing to work. They dropped almost $10,000 of there sticker. But still think Gen 2 might be the way to go since those are the looks I fell in love with, but guess I could always go back at a later date.

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
1999 because it has everything good about a 2001 and 2002 (18” wheels, interior trim upgrades, passenger airbag shut off, etc.) except for the ABS and it is the last year of the lumpier cam and forged pistons.

Yep, what he said. If you plan to ever work the engine, the 1999 is an ideal model year because of the internals, in addition to the other features mentioned.

You should also consider ext/int color combos, as that is determined by the year, as well. I always wanted Black/Cognac, which was only offered on 1999/2000 models, and the 2000 didn't have forged piston and the lumpy cam, so it was a no-brainer for me.

But to echo what others have said, given the current state of the economy and with a bambino on the way, you might want to hang on to your dough, if for no other reason than the price floor on Vipers may not yet have been reached.

I love my '99 but the prices on Gen IV coupes are so good I'm very tempted to sell it and buy one :headbang:

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a good advice... and cheap too.

SAVE your gas money and frustration.

1) IF you find a car that fits your criteria as far as the condition, year and price goes, POST it here and if it is anywhere near Harrisburg/Philly, I will inspect it for you. For free.
2) I will take 30 pictures of it
3) I will drive it

IF the report is positive, THEN fly in to see the car.

There are plenty of great members in this forum that are willing to share their passion and help anyone trying to buy a Viper. For example one member picked me up from my house, just to take me for a ride. The reason was that he knew I was interrested buying one and wanted to help he. I was hooked and tried to buy the car underneath him 15 minutes later, but he firmly refused. he only wanted to help. Look at this lenght of this thread... 4 pages. That should tell you something.

Trust the members here. Problem knowing if headgaskets have been done or not is that you are looking a 15 year old car. It has changed hands maybe 4 times... Not necessary bad, but if you want there are still guys here who are 2nd owners and have the FULL history. If the guy selling the car DOES NOT know if the gaskets have been changed, walk away if you hate the thought of spending 2K.

Dont even think Flea-Bay, best way of getting screwed.

Get a car with soft top AND hard top included. It's the same price anyway, but you dont have to spend later 2K for a top. Takes a bit more time, but its worth it.

Let me know if I can help, I've had my 1993 for 7 years, I never regretted buying it and I have never owned anything like it. 7 years later it is still the one I REALLY like. PM me if you want to talk and no, I will not sell mine, but I'll take you for a spin!:2tu: For free...