What's a good age for kids in the viper?

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im curious at what age you guys have taken your kids in your viper. My Boy is 3yrs old (very tall for his age) and although hes not asking for a ride it would be nice to take him to some car shows or VCA meetings. Im just wondering how long im going to have to wait.

:drive:

shmoos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My two Cents.

If the child is in some form of car seat or booster seat wait until he is out of them.

I am an X-Police Officer, so my judgment is impaired from stopping to many people for car seat violations. LOL

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mine started at Two and she is ready to go again this year. In a proper car seat of course.

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both my boys have been riding since they were 2 1/2 and 3 on cruises or car show events. Proper car seat or booster and air bag off. You can get air bag turn off switches for 97 and older. Gen 3 cars even have car seat anchors. They are now 6 and 7 1/2 and some of the best times with our cars have been cruises with the little ones. They have always loved the rides and I can't imagine not taking them. I am hoping to take my older son autocrossing this year. My two cents.

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My boy, 3 then, had lap rides up/down street last year, we live on a dead end culdesac. May consider a few slow speed, safe drives to local venues this year in proper car seat w/ airbag off. He just LOVES the "Wiper"

mele

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now that my kids are 5,7,9,11 they all get to enjoy special rides with dad!! My son (9) loves going for rides and we cruise together fairly often. On their birthdays I always take each child to lunch with dad, now that we have the viper, it will make it even more special to them as I'll be sure to take them in the viper.

The 5 year old still uses a proper booster, just be sure to turn the airbag off.

MEL

PS - Suppose I should mention I have a gen2 (01 ACR)

TS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 3 year old son loves the "big viper car". He calls it that because he has a little viper he drives, so mine is the big one. I use a booster seat and am super cautious with him in the car. He is tall for his age, so the belt seems to do a good job of securing him.

taillights

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My youngest daughter is almost 5 and we're going to a GTG on friday about 45 mins away, All safetied up of coarse... But my oldest daughter just got her permit ..... NOW WHAT AM I GONNA DO...:omg::dunno:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3 is definitely old enough if you're willing to crank a car seat down on your leather. Just remember that at that age "no touch" is sometimes easier said than done at car shows, and there is nothing worse than someone else's kids slobber/snot covered hands all over your car. :D :D :D

Never too early to start growing a car nut.

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used my Viper as a daily driver (about 60% of the time). I've had to drive my kids to school in the Viper. My youngest would have been 5 when I got the Viper, so I guess that would be the number I'm most comfortable with.

NukedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im curious at what age you guys have taken your kids in your viper. My Boy is 3yrs old (very tall for his age) and although hes not asking for a ride it would be nice to take him to some car shows or VCA meetings. Im just wondering how long im going to have to wait.

:drive:

I have some girls in the neighborhood that are 18 and interested in going for a ride but I don't think I would go much younger than that . . . .:D

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of car seat do you guys use? Do you use the full car seat or just a booster?

I gave my wife and daughter a short ride around the other day, but don't think I went above 25 or 30.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I have to jump in here. I too have a boy 3 1/2 and he always wants to go in the Viper as I've just purchased it. I took him around the block, but seems to me that he just isn't big enough to "legally" let him ride...even with a booster seat that he uses in the other car (SUV).

Do I not allow him to ride in it, or just take him up and down the street in front of my house? :dunno: Being in the Fire Department, we clearly know the rules about car seats.

What do I do....any suggestions?

Peter

:usa:FIREFIGHTERS SAVE LIVES AND PROPERTY:usa:

SUPPORT TATORS DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my daughter will be 7 in July and love to ride in the car, and has from just over 1 yr old. As long as you shut off the passenger side air bag(if your car has that ability) then anytime is just fine, but use the appropriate booster or child seat and connections

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave's perfect day...

Child is conceived in his Viper on date night.

Dave's worst day...

Child is born in his Viper on the way to the hospital.

So at this point the kid's already been in the car twice and he/she is only one day old. I'd say eveything else is game on!

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, I have to jump in here. I too have a boy 3 1/2 and he always wants to go in the Viper as I've just purchased it. I took him around the block, but seems to me that he just isn't big enough to "legally" let him ride...even with a booster seat that he uses in the other car (SUV).

Do I not allow him to ride in it, or just take him up and down the street in front of my house? :dunno: Being in the Fire Department, we clearly know the rules about car seats.

What do I do....any suggestions?

Peter

:usa:FIREFIGHTERS SAVE LIVES AND PROPERTY:usa:

SUPPORT TATORS DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Legal? The Viper is no different than a pick-up truck....it has an airbag off switch and no back seat. It's perfectly legal to put a child in the passenger seat in the legally required restraint system. Is it AS safe as the back seat of a sedan? Maybe not, but illegal, I don't think so.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My son started riding with me at the age of 1 1/2. my daughter started going on selected rides at 9 months....

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because of the latching of the Viper inertia reel of the seatbelts. I use a shoulder harness to make sure the seat is firmly strapped down and isn't going anywhere. Bag turned off of course.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you should use your stock belts and there is a method to latch the inertial reel and get them to lock in place very tightly. you first latch the seatbelt then give a few quick tugs on belt until you feel it lock(you may have to try a few times till you get used to doing it) then you reel the belt back into its tightest postion, the locked belt will not unreel untill it has been fully retracted

V

Venomiss

Someone have some pictures of car seat install???? Might be helpful for others.
Our kids were past the car seat age when we picked up our first one.

GuitarSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know your car, or how loud it is. I would consider your child(ren)'s hearing as well. I have been around Vipers that are rather loud to me, keeping in mind I'm 21 years old. When I was 6, my uncle took me in his Ferrari 328GTS which I thought was loud back then. Now I drive the car, and feel as though it's rather quiet. Young ears are always more sensitive than adults. Take this into consideration when bringing your young ones near or in a loud area. Even nowadays some Vipers I may encounter are quite loud and actually hurt my ears. I also suffer from hearing loss. I am going deaf due to lots of concerts and car related stuff.

-Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang