What's an 08 Viper with 48,000 miles worth?

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious what someone would pay for a 2008 Viper with 48,000 miles. I will say up front that she has not had an easy life, as I enjoyed the car every day I owned it, but it is a VERY special car. Made 560whp stock, went 10's in the 1/4 mile on street tires, original motor and trans, no oil consumption issues or problems, daily driver that I've taken on road trips, auto-x, road courses, etc. She came from the factory as a solid blue car, had 2008 stripes painted on EXACTLY like the factory does it. This car is more solid than a few lower mileage cars I've driven. I see most Gen IV's in the high $60k range, but this is a whole other type of car for sale. Stickered for a little over $87k when I bought it new in 2008. Paint consistent with a car that has almost 50,000 miles on it.

Just figured I'd see what you guys think, as fellow Viper owner's would be the most critical when looking at a car like this. I figure it will be the cheapest 2008 Viper (non-salvage title) ever sold. Thanks!

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2008 Z06 sold with nearly 40k miles for $44k earlier this year after only being listed for 3 days. I would think a car like the Viper offering infinitely more exclusivity would sell for more than my common ole Z, even with 10k more miles. I would go with $50k.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With 50,800 miles on mine, I'll be interested to see how the sale goes, Jason. I think 40's. I will probably trade mine when the Gen.V is available, although the sale of my other 08 was easy on Ebay. Good luck!

Bill

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol....

40s??????

Lol...

You put that car up for 50k and it will be sold within a month. Cheap 08s are like 56k. Average is 58-63.

People are still paying 40k for 03s with 30k plus miles all over the country. Some 35k some 45k depending on many factors.

40s for a 08 would be unbelieavable.

Your angle is all wrong. This car is special but not because of the rwhp ect. Heres what I would advertise.

"2008 viper
Blue with factory style stripes added
Good interior and exterior
No mechanicle problems whatsoever

This car currently holds the world record for any viper in stock form. This viper went 10.9at 130mph in the quartermile just the way it was made at the factory and the way it is for sale now. This 2008 worlds fastet production record holding viper has 48k miles and is ready to bring a new owner joy for $56k

Any questions please call or email me at..........................."

By the way. What exactlt did you car run stock?

Last edited:

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must agree with Twister. If you list that car on ebay for $1 no reserve right now even in the winter market the car will go for alot more than $40k IMO. Id guess with a nice ad and nice pics $48-$51k

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way I see it is what could Jamie Furman get for his z06 that went 10.98 at 127 mph stock?

With the right advertising these record holding examples of cars can be worth more to the right buyer. I hang out with many car nuts. Some who own lambos gtrs and supras as well as several other cars who visit car forums more than I do. Owning the countries fastest stock viper would be taken quite seriously in my group and worth a bit more than another stock 08 with 48k miles by 5k as far as Im concerned if the documentation is present.

Do you have timeslips or video evidance of the quartermile runs. Did you beat Jamie Furmans time and indeed have the fastest stock viper in the world?

Ive herd from second hand sources that your car went 10.8 at 132 mph 100 percent stock.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All this speculation is a lot of BS. Lets see the car and what 48k miles on a track and road course etc etc do. Bet you all that no one here would shell out 50k for this car. Dont care what record it holds. Just sayin... It probably needs a complete paint job.:)

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY will sell in the 50's. 40's is crazy talk.

Yeah, it may be higher miles for a Viper, but we ALL know that miles on a Viper means diddly. There is a reason that 100K+ mile Vipers exist, and anyone who dares to drive that much will make it there. Engines look brand new when they come apart at virtually any mileage. If the car was taken care of, it will be perfectly fine. The problem is, that generally exotic cars with higher miles tend to be in worse condition than daily drivers of the same miles- because of the personality type that buys higher mileage exotics. They tend to not give a crap about the car, run it into the ground, and dump it. If that is not the case, which is EASY to see just by taking a look at it, 50's all day long.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Milkman on here has been trying to sell his 08 coupe with 25,000 miles for $52k for several months now. Trade in on the OP car is probably in the low 40's. It is what it is. I've had my 18k mile 08 which is fully loaded with 7 year warranty and every mod for Gen4 except ported heads listed for $63k since July and have had 4 offers in the upper 50's.

The incentive to own a 600hp Gen4 is fading with people(vendors) like Dan and Steve making serious power out of Gen3 cars. Prices for 06 cars are not that far off from 08 cars. If I was in the market for a Viper today, an 03 painted like Andy Wheeler's car(FLATOUT) with Vipair's twin turbo would be the route I would be looking at.

Good luck with the sell Jason.

Murray

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Malu, I would be interested in the car if your going to let it go for a song!!!!! Miles don't bother me, and if it needs paint then thats just one less thing to worry about!

I think high 40's. I also think eBay may be the way to go. Just watch that no reserve stuff. I've been selling on there for almost 8 years. I have seen some crazy stuff! Had a Mega cab go for 11K. Guy backed out and I was willing to sell NO reserve. Relisted and sold the truck for 17K and the guy paid cash :omg: It's a crazy system!

PM sent!

-Tim

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All this speculation is a lot of BS. Lets see the car and what 48k miles on a track and road course etc etc do. Bet you all that no one here would shell out 50k for this car. Dont care what record it holds. Just sayin... It probably needs a complete paint job.:)

He asked for speculation, he got speculation.

Leojmcca

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd say upper 40s.

You have two problems:
1) It's winter and the market is soft
2) By Spring, the Gen. V will be coming out which may cause a lot more Gen. IV cars to hit the market. Higher supply means prices drop, especially on a 48K mile car.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my bad. its right in his signature.

10.931 at 129.33 stock

DANG..SECOND FASTEST STOCK VIPER IN THE COUNTRY. Number 1 went 10.92 at 129 mph. heres the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTevFbLfm3g

Owning the second fastest stocker in the world dosent have the same ring to it as the fastest stock viper in the world..

55k...if you get anything over 50K then take it. cars not a record holder like I thought. second place is now just another 2008 viper with 48k miles

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Putting the car on ebay with a no reserve $1 starting bid will insure that you get the lowest price. It gives the impression that you're dumping the car and it has problems or that you're desperate. There are at least a half a dozen 08's on the market now with asking prices right around $50k and all have far less miles. The color helps a little even though the stripes are not original so I would say $48k and the car owes you nothing because you certainly had fun with it and enjoyed the best part of the ownership experience. In a few months when the Gen5 debuts the car will be 5 model years old.

ScrewDrvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
another thing to consider when comparing prices to the gen3 is some people are willing to pay a bit more for the ease of modding that the gen 3 has compared to the gen4. So its not just a straight comparison between them.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OH well ebay has worked very well for me. My last Viper brought over $10k more than I priced it to a forum member for.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my gen 3 but no way id buy a 3 over a 4 for modding. Buy gen4 and add intake headers and mopar tune and dyno 600 rwhp. Dosent get any easier than that. Add intake manifold and head work and hit 650 naturally asperated.

Ill look again buy I sure as hell havent seen 08s at 50k. Where are these dirt cheap 08 vipers?

351carlo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my gen 3 but no way id buy a 3 over a 4 for modding. Buy gen4 and add intake headers and mopar tune and dyno 600 rwhp. Dosent get any easier than that. Add intake manifold and head work and hit 650 naturally asperated.

Ill look again buy I sure as hell havent seen 08s at 50k. Where are these dirt cheap 08 vipers?

For some of us 600 or 650 rwhp isn't enough.

OP
OP
M

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I'll have to post how I make out in January, thanks for the comments guys! I was curious if anyone was going to throw out a number in the $30's. :D

High 40's with those miles IMO bud.

I figure even that is too high Eric. Trade in is probably in the high $30's at this point.

Do you have timeslips or video evidance of the quartermile runs. Did you beat Jamie Furmans time and indeed have the fastest stock viper in the world?

Ive herd from second hand sources that your car went 10.8 at 132 mph 100 percent stock.

I've handed so many "fast cars" their ass on the street, it's not even funny. Whoever gets this car (and can drive it right) will continue to have fun and wreck shop. Maybe I could beat Jamie's time, but my goal wasn't to do that, and I had different street tires then he had, so it was never a production record I was going after, it was only to run a 10 on street tires, and drive it home. Been driving about 15,000 miles since then ;)

I've been out to the road course 3-4 times, but I didn't race competitively or anything, just went to have fun. Been to the dragstrip 2-3 times, and 1 auto-x. Front bumper could use a repaint, and I have some chipping behind the front wheels on the side sills. Common problems with the Viper's if I'm not mistaken. I'm going to have the front passenger fender repainted because I was the victim of a shredded tire in the road. Besides that, the paint is actually not in horrible condition. I actually detail cars on the side, for several friends :)

Milkman on here has been trying to sell his 08 coupe with 25,000 miles for $52k for several months now. Trade in on the OP car is probably in the low 40's. It is what it is. I've had my 18k mile 08 which is fully loaded with 7 year warranty and every mod for Gen4 except ported heads listed for $63k since July and have had 4 offers in the upper 50's.

The incentive to own a 600hp Gen4 is fading with people(vendors) like Dan and Steve making serious power out of Gen3 cars. Prices for 06 cars are not that far off from 08 cars. If I was in the market for a Viper today, an 03 painted like Andy Wheeler's car(FLATOUT) with Vipair's twin turbo would be the route I would be looking at.

Good luck with the sell Jason.

Murray

Thanks Murray! I honestly think the Gen 4 platform is a good platform for people that want to drive their car. Even for racing, I would choose Gen 4 over Gen 3, unless I was going twin turbo. I've beat a few Paxton cars making significantly more power than me. Heat soak ***** with the Air 2 Water heat exchanger on the Paxton's...

I was thinking about picking up another low mileage 08 to change it up, thinking that the price drop for "new" Viper's in the high $60k's when the economy tanked, would still be around. Not the case. I'm not interested in another 2008 in the $60k's, would rather wait to see what the Gen

Malu, I would be interested in the car if your going to let it go for a song!!!!! Miles don't bother me, and if it needs paint then thats just one less thing to worry about!

-Tim

Not actively trying to sell the car just yet, I will post up if I do. Just wanted to get an idea what the board thought it would be worth. Social experiment of sorts, if you will :D

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can engine mod a gen III and get as much hp as a gen IV pretty easy, but you still do not get the lighter dual disc clutch, better tires, better suspension set up for non-run flats, better shifting transmission that is strong enough for the 600 hp, better differential, better build quality, and full factory warranty.

Over all I think used Vipers are some of the greatest bang for the buck fun available anywhere. (except trashing a rental car : >)

Good luck if you decide to sell your car.

I personally think you were driving a Viper, just as the SRT guys intended. You had a blast with it, enjoyed its multiple personalities, and certaintly got your moneys' worth.

Think the idea is to get as much fun per dollar spent with a Viper, not to park it and keep it nice for the next owner to enjoy.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally think you were driving a Viper, just as the SRT guys intended. You had a blast with it, enjoyed its multiple personalities, and certaintly got your moneys' worth.

Think the idea is to get as much fun per dollar spent with a Viper, not to park it and keep it nice for the next owner to enjoy.

VERY well said...I think many members should take these statements to heart!

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figure even that is too high Eric. Trade in is probably in the high $30's at this point.

Your detailing skills will raise its value, and I think someone outside the Viper circles would pay more than you think for the condition and the color. If you sell it in the Viper circles or trade, I agree the value would be lower, but I know you wouldn't do that. What are you thinking about picking up if you sell?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang