What's it worth?

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What\'s it worth?

Just wondering what you guys think a mint Blue/White '97 GTS Coupe is worth these days...3,400 pampered miles,window sticker, documenation,etc,etc...
My wife wants a new house, so I'm thinking about selling it (sigh!)
I'm thinking low 50's.

Matt Houston

You must be registered for see images

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s it worth?

Tell her absolutely NOT.
You have a perfectly good house now don't you?
Isn't the house you have now HER house?
Good luck!!

You check the Classifieds and ebay?

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Matt, if you can get low 50's you should jump on it. The market is very soft right now and I personally doubt it will be going up. Most people will tell you 50 even. (I take that back, most people here will tell you 45k) If you are in now rush, wait for the "right" buyer. Good luck!

OP
OP
M

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ViperJoe,

Are you married???
Have you ever tried to tell your wife what she wants???
Believe me, I DON"T WANT TO PART WITH THIS CAR!!!

Maybe she'll change her mind...NOT!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ViperJoe,

Are you married???

Yep. 25 years to the SAME woman!
She lets me do what I want to do (cars etc), all I have to do is keep her in jewelry! LOL!

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This topic is verboten in my house.

My car arrived before the wife; I subscribe to the LIFO happiness accounting strategy. Last in, first out. (kids don't count)

For me, the car is a deal breaker, specifically agreed to before the commitment. My happiness is just as important as hers. She agrees. Which makes me even happier.

OP
OP
M

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I like your thinking...
I also like the fact they every response so far has come from the Blue/White
fraternity! (oops,sorry ViperJoe!)

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Matt,

The Kelly Blue book for your car is about $40K, Kelly Blue Book Value.

Look in the classifieds section and other sites to estimate what would be an appropriate price to sell. After that it all depends on how you negotiate and motivated you are to sell and how motivated the prospective buyer is to buy.

Best of luck.

OP
OP
M

Matt Houston

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Picflight,

I have never seen a low mile(2-3k) blue/white GTS sell for less that 48-50k...
If you find one, let me know!

As for the classifieds, asking prices are running 50-54k.
If prices drop down to 40k, what's the point of selling it?

Thanks for input!

Matt Houston

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If you need the money, you might as well sell the car now. The value won't be getting any higher for another 15 years (if that) or so, when the SRT coupe comes out the value of the GTS will be in the tank. Cars are not good investments. Next year your car is going to be worth 47K and the year after that 45K, then 42K then 40K etc...

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Matt,

Thats what Kelly Blue book says, and it is the private party value, I am sure the trade is in even lower. Classifieds listings always give you a better gauge of the market values and thats what you should consider when listing. But bottom line is how motivated you are to sell and how motivated the buyer is to get YOUR car.

Autotrader has listing from $60K for high to $54K to low.

Best of luck.

MR VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Seller wants; emotional. The buyer pays; market value. Forget your mileage. Pay attention to the market, otherwise you will have your car, not your wife's new house.

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i agree w/ garolittle. $47K-$49K is what it should bring. i think mid 50's would be on the high side.

TIM
:usa:

REMIX

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just another reason to DRIVE your cars and enjoy them.

REMIX

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I recently bought a 4500 mi. 96 blue/white with 2 years warranty and if you sell this for under $50k, then you are selling this too cheap. Anyone know of any low mi. 96/97 blue white for under $50k? Nah, didn't think so.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In January I bought mine off the VCA classifieds with 7,000 for $43,500. They do need new tires and fluids, even if the miles are low. It now has almost 10,000 and climbing.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Blue and White is the #1 color choice (No...I don't own one, I have a Red one)

If the car is STOCK. No upgrades (it's worth more this way on a Blue/White), if you are the original owner, you have the Delivery Card with the mileage marked and EVERYTHING the car came with. If everything works and no problems:

You can get $53,500 ALL DAY LONG. With proper marketing and a vehicle portfolio you can get more.

NADA, KBB, BlackBook, Edmunds.... None of these guys know Viper Pricing. They are all based on 12k / year cars. They do not know the market.

Jerry Dobson

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

40k??? What are you talking about? They made two colors in 97, blue and red. I have seen low mileage red cars go for 43k-47k. The price for a blue and white car is a completely different story. KBB does not take color into consideration. They have a depreciation algorithm and apply it to all cars. I have just over 3k on my car and would not even think about taking a penny less than 50k. If you take any less than that you are doing yourself a disservice.

Viper buying is more of an emotion decision versus a logical one. Color and condition make a big difference. In my case I paid more for both, and am happy with the resulting car. With that said, I do believe prices will continue to drop slowly over the next few years. It is really not a rare car so it will depreciate. If you want to sell do it sooner rather than later.

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I was selling the car I would ask 54,900.00 and take nothing less than 52K. My 96 is for sale and I think its sold not for too much less. Good 96/97 cars are worth the money. Don't let some bottom feeder steal your classic blue and white.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They will sell for as little as you are willing to settle for. Ultimately, we can exercise a great degree of control on our cars' values by refusing to sell at all. And when we do sell, avoid the rush. Wait for the right buyer. He's out there.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

hey, a Blue/White thread, we gotta have more of these!!!

Can not comment on price living in Canada and all, they go in the 75-80K range over here if you can find one.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Matt,

I heard that you are not selling your car? If you do sell it, keep it at mid 50's. The car will bring that amount or more.

Jerry