WHAT'S THAT SMELL???

ssstrong viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHAT\'S THAT SMELL???

I've got a question for all you viper owners out there. I have a 97 GTS, and upon any hard acceleration....I notice a very weird smell..almost sulfur-like. It doesn't smell like exhaust or gas. It started doing it after I had a Corsa cat-back and Random Tech hi-flo cats installed. Any ideas???

Thanks in advance for any help.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: WHAT\'S THAT SMELL???

Just your cats working! New convertors stink the most. This should smell like any other cars under hard accleration or going up steep hills.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Re: WHAT\'S THAT SMELL???

It WORRIES me that you smell this upon acceleration...one wonders if you have a leak at the connections in the sidesills. I would pull sills off and check for same. Had this happen once on a GTS to which we added a 3" CORSA cat-back, where, in SPITE of proper clamp position (the bolt 90 degrees to the "slits"), we had to place tiny rolls of aluminum foil in the slits that are at the front of the sidesill muffler pipe, then re-clanp and torque to 61 ft-lbs. (CORSA told me that the torque range for their "Torca clamp" was 49-64 ft-lbs). This stopped the sidesill leak....and, I MUST add that I LOVE to drive the GTS with the CORSA...more pleasant TO ME on long trip with windows up than our GTS's with Borla cat-backs....wife prefers the noise from the Borlas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine