What's the difference b/ween the Mopar Performance Exhaust & Race Exhaust

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What\'s the difference b/ween the Mopar Performance Exhaust & Race Exhaust

There are 2 mopar exhausts available, One is the Performance exhaust that retails at 545 dollars, and the Race exhaust that retails at about 845 dollars. What exactly is the difference between the two, and which one is ultimately better?
here are the descriptions...

Street exhaust $545.99-

Features stainless steel construction with mandrel-bent tubing. This free-flow system provides a horsepower and torque gain, improved fuel economy, and a deeper tone. Includes 2 mufflers, right and left turn out assemblies, and four 2-1/2" clamps

Race Exhaust $849.99

This 3" Race Exhaust System provides low restriction from manifold to tip. Catalytic converters are eliminated (upstream and downstream), and it has a side exit from the sill that removes H-pipe crossover.

So which is better?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s the difference b/ween the Mopar Performance Exhaust & Race Exhaust

The race exhaust is 3". I think that's your difference.

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

yea...it's three inches..but I think the race exhaust also eliminates the cats as well...I was reading about the race exhaust, and it said that it required the Mopar computer module to adjust for the loss of the cats..I was wondering if anyone has seen these systems first hand and could give me the better route to go..It's as easy as me calling my dealer tomorrow and ordering..I just want to make the correct decision.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And the race exhaust probably has more piping since it removes the cats!

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OK..i understand that much, which is why I question everyone who is putting on the Street exhaust. Why would you pay for something which will not net any HP increase since is doesn't remove the cats? Also, the street exhaust does not keep the cabin cool. So im guessing that the race exhaust is obviously the better one. However, I would like to hear from someone with first hand experience with the race exhaust...
thanks guys

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You will gain HP with the street exhaust as well! It will also keep the cabin cooler. I dont' think the street exahust has a cross over and thats what causes the heat build up etc. I wouldn't run cat less on a viper! Get the street exhaust with high flow cats and you'll be happy! It will be loud though!!

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hmm...I understand what you mean, however whenever i called my dealer, he told me that the street exhaust is on back order...So I have no idea when he would be able to get one for me. The race exhaust, I can get in 3-5 days. Why don't you think I should eliminate the cats in the vehicle? Would this trip a check engine light? Also, for the corsa track, how is it different in design to the mopar street exhaust? Doesn't the corsa eliminate the crossover?

Tico

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Get the street exhaust with high flow cats and you'll be happy! It will be loud though!!

Have you heard this setup? Today at the dealership I was quoted $545.00 for the Mopar Performance Exhaust. The guy said he hadn't heard it on a Viper but that he'd heard the Mopar on the Ram SRT-10. That it had a much deeper rumble than the stock system and that people would definitely hear you coming. He also said that the Mopar system and the Borla were one and the same.

I wish there were sound clips somewhere to be able to compare the Mopar and the Corsa (both with high flow cats). I would like the sound of my Viper to be a little more aggressive (and would especially like to get rid of the heat problem) - but not to the point that it's obnoxious or sets off car alarms or cause me to have to turn the volume way up on the radio just to listen to a song.

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If you go to either corsa or borla on line you can listen to their exhaust. It might not be the exact sound that you looking but you get the idea.

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Flynlo,

My opinion - get the street exhaust. I got mine from Roe Racing (took 4 days via std. Fed-Ex) and installed it this past weekend. To me the sound is perfect, loud enough but not annoying (although sound comes down to personal preference, you may think its too loud or too quiet, I have no idea). Easy installation, no problems at all as with another brand I have read numerous posts about not fitting correctly, falling off, burning paint, etc. It eliminates all crossover piping under the car, therefore there is less pressure drop through the exhaust system. Less pressure drop = more exhaust flow = more HP. I think I saw a claim of about +10 HP for this system on the internet somewhere but unless you dyno it before and after HP numbers are a guess. I can tell you that it now blows water out of the tips when first started and if you hold your hand next to a tip it feels like a hair dryer blowing on your hand whereas with the stock system this was not the case. Trust me, you will like it. Don't mess with eliminating cats, there are O2 sensors installed upstream and downstream of the primary cat, my guess is you will have diagnostic problems (check engine, etc..) if removing these cats, plus if you have to take a sniffer test it won't pass (I'm in Texas too...)

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Flynlo,

My opinion - get the street exhaust. I got mine from Roe Racing (took 4 days via std. Fed-Ex) and installed it this past weekend. To me the sound is perfect, loud enough but not annoying (although sound comes down to personal preference, you may think its too loud or too quiet, I have no idea). Easy installation, no problems at all as with another brand I have read numerous posts about not fitting correctly, falling off, burning paint, etc. It eliminates all crossover piping under the car, therefore there is less pressure drop through the exhaust system. Less pressure drop = more exhaust flow = more HP. I think I saw a claim of about +10 HP for this system on the internet somewhere but unless you dyno it before and after HP numbers are a guess. I can tell you that it now blows water out of the tips when first started and if you hold your hand next to a tip it feels like a hair dryer blowing on your hand whereas with the stock system this was not the case. Trust me, you will like it. Don't mess with eliminating cats, there are O2 sensors installed upstream and downstream of the primary cat, my guess is you will have diagnostic problems (check engine, etc..) if removing these cats, plus if you have to take a sniffer test it won't pass (I'm in Texas too...)

Thanks for the info slither. I was looking at the mopar parts catalogue, and i thought that the street exhaust did not eliminate the factory cross-over. This was my reasoning with going with wanting to purchase the race exhaust. I wish there was a way to put the race exhaust on because im sure it's louder than all of the systems. I like that obnoxious rumble ;) When I called my parts guy at the local dodge dealership, he told me that the street exhaust was on a back order. I will ask again tomorrow...if you don't mind, what is the part number that you have for your mopar system?
thanks

PS. As for the sniffer test, I have my own service station, so inspections come rather easy, if you know what I mean :2tu:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Now you guys have me thinking about another change. So does anyone own the track version (3") and can describe the sound?

Tico

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Slither,

Does the Mopar street exhaust help in any way to eliminate some of the heat from the sidepipes? I ask because you said not to eliminate the cats and it was my understanding that cat elimination or high flow cats is what helps with the heat problem.

Thanks.

Reaction score

Can someone tell me what exhaust will eliminate the side sill heat, and not screw up the paint, the size fits like the stock and remains sound wise relative to the stock as I think the sound is fine.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I thought I had done my homework when I picked up my Corsa but unfortunately for me I hadn't heard enough about the Mopar or read any reviews! Most of the heat is caused by the crossover. From reading the posts above I see that the crossover is eliminated with this cat back! I have a corsa with high flow cats and when I'm standing beside the exhaust tips it makes my jeans flow back so that the pants are against my leg!! When you start the car beside someone that doesn't expect the air flow they will litereally jump up (thats if the sound already didn't scare the crap out of them!) I think the the high flow cats and corsa is just an awesome setup! I didn't like it at first but after putting on a few miles the note changed a little bit for the better! I can run my finger along the rim of the sill (the black area) after driving my car and not burn it! tahts impressive especailly when I bunred my leg while accidently touching my leg against the sill just half way in too not around the exhaust tip! The other day I washed my car and the next morning when I started up the Viper it soaked the side of the Vette. It truly does have a lot of air flow! When I drive by cars or in a tunnel I think a few people have wet their pants I always go full throttle in an area like that after slowing down first of course ;) :2tu: . Basically this is a really crappy sound clip but listen to this to get a little bit of an idea of how a Corsa sounds with the rt cats. It doesn't really pop or drone at all thats what I like best about it! Thats why I was willing to pay 2x as much as I heard Borla mufflers drone like crazy on Viper's and the Mopar exahust uses Borla mufflers! Getting rid of cats is not really the smartest thing to do. I'd hate the smell! Just do the RT high flow cats and you'll be happy and have no problems with emissions!

http://www.members.shaw.ca/srtviper/viper%20ricky%20dhadwal.wmv

Few things I forgot to mention! The passenger side put in a spacer and bring the exhaust out 1/8th of an inch. Set the exhaust back to allow for about an inch of expansion! It really does move and it moves very fast! I just torqued the clamps to spec. I had to open them up so I can move the tip around for fit and they were extremely hard to move! I'm not worried about it falling unless maybe your autocrossing. Weld it if you must but I had my mechanic say that it won't be going anywhere!

Tico

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SRTRICKY,

Thanks for the sound clip. Your car sounds awesome! By the way, nice Vette and nice house too.

Now for a stupid question. What exactly do you mean by "drone"? On other threads several people have made reference to "drone" but I don't know what exactly this is referring to.

Thanks.

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OK! So the Mopar exhaust is officially on a national back order. Whether this means that they will stop producing this specific exhaust, or they will continue production is unknown by me at this point. My dealer will be calling me back within about 2-3 hours to let me know the answer to this problem. I sure hope they can get me this exhaust system....grrrrrr

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tico,
Thanks for the compliments. I honestly can't really explain "drone" I just know how it sounds since I ran my ws6 trans am no cats and wide open borla's. Its fine at first but after a while it gets really annoying and makes it hard to talk in the car (on your cell phone, etc.) I really like the fact that with this setup if i'm in around 2000 rpm I can hold a conversation without screaming! And once I get the rpm's going it sounds just straight up mean! If you take the rpms up high but don't floor it to get them up high the way the car sounds can't be described! Sounds just awesome! Anyways about the drone situation sit in a mustang or something with some exhaust work done and you'll realize what I'm talking about. When a Viper costs as much as it does whats another 500 or so to make sure it sounds its best! I would really like to hear a Mopar exhaust set up though. At $550 it seems too good to be true.
Ricky

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score

FLYNLO, check out Roe racing's website, see link below for part number:

http://www.roeracing.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=9&idproduct=210

Other vendors I'm sure carry this kit.

Tico, I didn't have too much of a problem with sill heat but in order to get rid of it completely I wrapped the entire system (mufflers and piping) with this stuff (see link below):

http://www.thermotec.com/products/full/11031/11031.html

You can buy it from Summit, Jegs, or other vendors - I'm not trying to push any one in particular but this stuff flat out works. Anybody with sill heat problems - wrap your stock or aftermarket exhaust with this stuff and the sill heat issue is gone completley. I had a mustang with full tube headers and wrapped them with this, you could put your hand on the header tubes 5 minutes after stopping the car. You could also try this:

http://www.roeracing.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=9&idproduct=203

however IMO wrapping the muffler and piping will give you the best insulating capability as its not just "loose" insulation placed over the exhaust. Only drawback is you have to remove the mufflers to wrap correctly. Also, I wouldn't tell anyone to break the law and I would never do this myself (he he he) but you can always gut the stock secondary cats, they don't do anything except reduce emissions at start-up, after the system is hot and the primary cats are operating efficiently they are only blocking the exhaust flow. IMO, forget "hi-flow" secondaries - why pay for the cats and installation (both sets of cats are welded into the stock system) when you can have a nice straight shot from the primary cats all the way out through the tip. No O2 sensors downstream of the secondaries - trust me you won't have any problems with the car if this is done.

SRTRICKY - nice sound clip! I checked it out before buying a system, it sounds good but I really can't tell a difference between the Corsa and the Mopar. Since both are all stainless, both have the same physical installation and both have polished tips I couldn't see paying over twice the price for the Corsa. Plus with all the posts I have read about the Corsa not fitting correctly, burning the paint on the sills and falling off I decided to go with the Mopar. I agree - the exhaust flow out the tips is much greater with these systems, it blows up dust on start-up, spits water out the pipes until warmed up and feels like a hair dryer blowing at idle. I like the sound of the Mopar, no drone and its pretty freakin' loud when you get on it. Personally I can't see how the Corsa would make any more power than the Mopar as they both have the exact same physical installation, I figure about 10-15HP peak gain, not bad for $550!

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks slither, i called roe racing earlier today and they told me that they are completely out of the mopar exhaust. The did offer to sell me one of their exhausts...however i told dave i would think about it. I don't know what to do at this point since it is on a national back order. It ***** to be me.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score

you can join awhole lot more of us who are also waiting for the exhaust. I checked with my parts guy who said there was no due in date from DC on the backorders.

We can however, go directly to the BORLA web site and order the same thing for many hunderds of dollars more ... NOT!!!

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Man, I must have gotten the last one! :D

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've wondered about this myself, and from what I've seen the Mopar Race setup has not only a mandrel bent pipe going to the collector, but also a flex joint just like the oem primary cat is attached to. This vital flex joint is very important in my opinion. Many cars with headers and high flow cats have eliminated this. I wonder how many cars without it will be craking headers or having serious leaks at the manifold port, by not having this. Have you guys ever noticed how much the engine moves about, when torquing up. At least a full inch or more on the somewhat spongy engine mounts. That is why the car has the flex joint in it. The flex joint also dampens transiant vibration that would transfer into the chassis/body of the car.

Mopar has not forgot about this.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score

anyone with an update on the backorder status of the street exhaust?

OP
OP
F

FLYNLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

anyone with an update on the backorder status of the street exhaust?

No one knows for sure how long the backorder will be...it is shown as backorder. That is all..