What's the forum favorite for oil these days?

kilr4d

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, I know that there's a search button but I wanted to see what the current opinions are on engine. Oddly enough, I got a printout of specs/capacities today from the local dealer and it recommended Pennzoil. :dunno:

Mobil 1 or go home? :dunno:

Whatever's on sale in a full synthetic? :dunno:

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, Chrysler switched from Mobil to Pennziol. My dealer has been using Pennzoil in both my SRTs (Viper and Charger SRT8), and I've had no issues (knock wood).

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Because I don't have the facilities to change it myself, and the Pennzoil is good product. As long as oil meets specs of vehicle, reall don't care. Have used MANY different brands of oil over the ears in many different cars and trucks, and have never had a single issues. It's like anything else, buy what you like. Pennzoil, Mobil, Shell, etc. All good.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as oil meets specs of vehicle, reall don't care. Have used MANY different brands of oil over the ears in many different cars and trucks, and have never had a single issues. It's like anything else, buy what you like. Pennzoil, Mobil, Shell, etc. All good.

I have had a failure with a flat tappet lifter camshaft on another vehicle; so, I am now a born again believer in oils with high ZDDP content, as touted by our resident Oil Geek.

I use the Mobil 1 15W50, (or 0W40 if I think that I will be in a cold area of the country) synthetics in the Viper. I use the Mobil 1 grades in the Viper because of the published ZDDP levels and I have a "feeling" that synthetics give more margin in case of a possible oil pressure failure mode that takes some time for me to react to. http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

In my "normal" cars, I use diesel rated oils because they supposedly still have high ZDDP, and cost less than the Mobil 1, and I don't have that "feeling" that I need the extra insurance of the synthetic with the cheaper and lower stressed engines.

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
redline here, my car is tt, mobil one turns black in a few hundred miles

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
redline here, my car is tt, mobil one turns black in a few hundred miles

Is oil turning black a bad thing ? I've read that it is a sign of a good additive package and the oil is holding the contaminants in suspension, and typically they are so small that they are not a wear issue.

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is oil turning black a bad thing ? I've read that it is a sign of a good additive package and the oil is holding the contaminants in suspension, and typically they are so small that they are not a wear issue.

not sure, grayish might b more accurate. redline holds up much better, in consistency as well.

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Went to the tech session at VOI. The factory is now recommending Pennzoil Platinum. They are still using up their supply of Mobil 1, but when that runs out, its Pennzoil