What's up in my garage?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what's been happening in my garage the past couple of months.

motorswap_062.jpg

motorswap_030.jpg

motorswap_035.jpg

motorswap_049.jpg

motorswap_052.jpg

motorswap_047.jpg

motorswap_048.jpg

motorswap_060.jpg

Slid the motor back in tonight, and will start on tranny tomorrow morning. With all this talk about N/A power recently, I figured I should post some pics of the STRYKER heads. We'll see soon enough what kind of power they make.

yogibayer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice, but what I'm really interested in, is that hanger system for the hood. Does it make removing the hood a one man operation? How does it hold the hood?

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lance, good to hear from you, and yes that explains exactly why I haven't been out. I hope to have it completed this week, but you know how that goes. It should be at Dan's shop for tuning this week.

Yogibayer, yes it allows for an easy one man operation. I designed it to attach to the hood in the open position, that way it holds the hood with perfect placement for removal and replacement. I actually designed a bunch of tools during this time to make jacking the Viper and pulling the motor a piece of cake.

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This afternoons progress plus an additional pic of the Strykers deck side.

motorswap_041.jpg

motorswap_064.jpg

motorswap_067.jpg

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well this things almost done, got all the accessories on. Put the headers in just to check clearances and alignment with new cats. There is a shot of the timing pointer I made up and installed when I degreed the cam. Seemed silly that the harmonic balancer had no point of reference. Anyway I'm going to cut both collectors and get them aligned dead nuts, then V-band them tomorrow. At that point I should have the SVS header tube sleeve and O2 extensions by mid afternoon. Should be real close by tomorrow night.

motorswap_076.jpg

motorswap_073.jpg

motorswap_075.jpg

motorswap_077.jpg

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lance, good to hear from you, and yes that explains exactly why I haven't been out. I hope to have it completed this week, but you know how that goes. It should be at Dan's shop for tuning this week.
Yogibayer, yes it allows for an easy one man operation. I designed it to attach to the hood in the open position, that way it holds the hood with perfect placement for removal and replacement. I actually designed a bunch of tools during this time to make jacking the Viper and pulling the motor a piece of cake.

OMIGOSH--You are ONE talented bloke!!!!! Whereabouts are you located???? :omg:
I'm very impressed with the work you are doing, and that you've created your own devices. Good luck with rest of the work! :2tu: ~juli~

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Camfab,
Man, if I had known you were going through all this, I would have gladly precision balanced any of the rotating components for you.
Are you still on track for this Sat?

Lance

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Juli, located in SoCal. Lance it looked good, but I just got a call to go into work tomorrow...expecting an 18 hour day! So it looks like I'll be done on Friday, which means Dan won't have it tuned for Saturday. More pics to follow, but I got get some sleep........

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Plum, they are Bassani Metal Matrix cats. The beast came alive this afternoon sounding like monster trapped in a trash can. I was worried as it exploded to life and went straight to two thousand rpm then settled down to 1500rpm then suddenly wanting to die. After about a minute it settled down. I could immediately tell when it reached operating temp and the O2 sensors came into play as it really started to smooth out and sound good. I've got lots of other pics and possibly some video. Six days away from a tune, it's going to be hard waiting.

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's some pics of last nights final exhaust work

I had to cut and modify the collectors on both sides to make them line up perfectly
motorswap_078.jpg

This is a shot of the inside of a Burns merge collector.
motorswap_079.jpg

These are top and undercarriage photos of the headers with the SVS ceramic sleeving.
motorswap_081.jpg

motorswap_083.jpg

Finally a shot of the cats v-banded in place
motorswap_084.jpg

NK BREKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Armen,

Car sounds super mean! Congrats on the great job you've done. Will you be going out to the cruise in Malibu on the 11th next month?

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Armen,

Car sounds super mean! Congrats on the great job you've done. Will you be going out to the cruise in Malibu on the 11th next month?

Thanks Art, good to hear from you. I'll plan on going to Malibu, my schedule has been real wacky lately.

OP
OP
C

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well as I wait the weekend to get this thing tuned I decided that some heat management was in order. I insulated the aluminum heat shields above the collectors for some computer and heater box protection.

motorswap_087.jpg

motorswap_089.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte