Whats with these damn check eng. lights? Need help.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 09 ACR with only a cat back system mod (OEM cats btw) has had a check engine light come on twice now right after starting the engine. The car runs fine. The first time it happened my Viper tech told me that with the car sitting for a awhile and having the battery tender (not a charger) connected, the voltage spike at start up can cause this. Anyone else have this happen on their Gen 4? What a hassle for a 100k car and no wild mods. Any cure? Thanks

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You need to read the codes first. You can get a generic code reader on e-bay for a reasonable cost. Let me know what you find.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your viper tech is right.. You need a super hot battery.thats your problem

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
r

The battery tender should be fine. Mine works great as im shure yours does to. U have it direct connected to battery?

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your viper tech is right.. You need a super hot battery.thats your problem
The oem battery was replaced with a new oem one and I still got the light after starting it today. The tender is connected via the 12v adapter in the center console. Also, I never had this problem with my other GEN 4 Viper. Whats a super hot battery anyway?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check engine could be as simple as a gas cap not properly tightened or any number of things. Might have nothing to do with the battery tender.

Check engine lights on modern cars are hair trigger. Sometimes they just clear themselves.

Wait till the first cold day, when your tire pressure monitor light comes on, then clears when you drive a bit, then comes on again the next morning.

Often a simple fix, but you gotta get the code...

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 09 ACR (Belangers/Hi-flows) throws a code about every five hundred miles. Can't remember the code number but it is the one for O2 sensor response. I clear it and keep driving....
If this is your code, I have heard about some folks replacing the O2 sensor with a different model which seems to take car of it.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats an O2 sensor code P2602 DODGE - Direct Ozone Reduction Catalyst Deterioration Sens Circ Hi. Very common on Gen4's with any exhaust work done Just get a venom controller and be done with it. My car throws all my o2 sensor codes the minute I clear them of course my car has no cats at all. The venom controller is getting installed tomorrow so no more annoying yellow check engine light messing up my pretty blue LED dash lights :D

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats an O2 sensor code P2602 DODGE - Direct Ozone Reduction Catalyst Deterioration Sens Circ Hi. Very common on Gen4's with any exhaust work done Just get a venom controller and be done with it. My car throws all my o2 sensor codes the minute I clear them of course my car has no cats at all. The venom controller is getting installed tomorrow so no more annoying yellow check engine light messing up my pretty blue LED dash lights :D
Well thats interesting and I specifically asked several in the know?? if just changing the exhaust will cause a check engine light and they said no. The BIG problem with a controller in Texas anyway is to pass inspection its a real hassle to get the thing removed and put the oem one back in, get the inspection, and then put it back in again. Bring back the Gen 2 where I did a full internal and external race set up with headers etc. and NEVER a light.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do agree with you. The Gen4 is a little ridiculous when it comes to the stupid check engine light. The gen 3 you can totally remove the cats and just hang the rear o2's under the car to sniff fresh air and no check engine lights either. But the gen 4 forget about it. But changing out the controller is not hard.

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, have you tried a spacer on the O2 sensor? I've heard backing the O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream fixes this? Check with Troy I think he just went through this trying to get his car inspected.

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, have you tried a spacer on the O2 sensor? I've heard backing the O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream fixes this? Check with Troy I think he just went through this trying to get his car inspected.
The car is with Morgan at Tomball now which is good anyway as I am moving this week. The code was a P2610 in the past ??