What's wrong with the SRT10??

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What\'s wrong with the SRT10??

Automotive news said today that they are closing the Viper plant at Connor Avenue in Detroit this week due to slow sales of the Viper.

As of Nov 1 there was a 200 day supply of Vipers up from 169 days on Oct 1.

The Connor Avenue plant was also down the week ending Oct 23.

This was the first time the plant has been down because of slow sales since Chrysler aquired the plant in October 1995.

Buying opportunity??

OP
OP
F

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s wrong with the SRT10??

Is it possible that potential buyers are holding off for the Coupe?? Anyone know when the Coupe is due? Best guess?

OP
OP
F

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Craig: Can you tell me how to find that thread. Have not been on site for awhile and just saw this article today.

OP
OP
F

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the link. This is still somewhat disappointing to read this stuff. I traded my SRT10 about 6 months ago. Mixed emotions but just did not have room for it. I have room for 4 collector type cars and one had to go to make room for the new one. Hope if they build the coupe soon and in small quanity it will bring the Viper BACK to the way it was.

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

We have no assurance that D-C has a long term commitment to the Viper. Lutz is gone.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thats what happens when you up the production from 1800 per/yr to 2600-2800 per/yr there are only so many buyers for this type of vehicle. that and too many dealers think a viper on their lot is actually a piece of gold. anyone that sets their mind to it can find one of these cars a a big discount. I think that DC is commited to the viper why else make other vehicles that say "powered by viper", along w/ moving engine production to CAAP.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BTW if there really is a 200 day supply the delv room over at CAAP must be jam packed! 200 days OMG well over a 6 month supply, if this infor is true. We can maybe hope that employee dicounts might be on the way for these cars to open the market up to even a few more people, and available to a bigger group of consumers. I do think that the car is slightly overpriced(though still a great performance value!), this is evidenced to me by the BIG discounts that are to be had on the car with only minimal searching.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Sylvan answered the question:

"thats what happens when you up the production from 1800 per/yr to 2600-2800 per/yr there are only so many buyers for this type of vehicle. that and too many dealers think a viper on their lot is actually a piece of gold"

I'd also throw in the point that Dodge has done absolutely no PR or ad work with this car. Ford is riding the GT brilliantly. Dodge could tout the world class attributes of the SRT-10 and in a very short time the demand would be insane. The people who bash the SRT-10 are normally pretty uninformed about it's attributes.

The styling is not what everyone likes, but the styling of the Gen I and II Vipers was not for everyone either. (Same for the new Vette, new Mustang, the Ford GT, Gallardo, F430 etc...) That has nothing to do with 'slow' sales. If you make changes to satisfy people who don't like it, then you lose the ones like me who do like it. A little PR about what an amazing car this is fixes the perceived 'slowdown.' Either that or only produce 1800 instead of 2800. It would be tough to get a good deal on the car if they had made 1000 less.

Dirk

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with you, Dirk. The PR support for the Viper from DC seems to be absent. The sense I get from all the company guys (and gals) is that the higher ups think the car will sell itself. They spend NO time courting the major car magazines. If I had a product that wasn't selling I'd certainly be trying to advertise it, particularly if I knew it was a good product. The Viper is supposed to be a "halo" car for the brand. How can it be a halo if no one in the general public knows it exists (except when they crowd around one on the street)?

The only public promotion I've seen in years is the stupid drifting car. I guess I like the rarity of the CD I have with the Viper's only television ad -- on the other hand, I think that seems really wierd! I've counted 9 different tv ads for the new C6 Corvette. :rolleyes: Come on Dodge, get with it -- you have a hell of a story to tell, shout it from the rooftops!

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree with you, Dirk. The PR support for the Viper from DC seems to be absent.

How much PR has any year Viper received? Not much, ever. The only TV ad I recall is "The Magic Carpet Ride" which was years ago. Does anyone remember more?

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hey I caught a Dodge commerercial tonight. The SRT was the first car in a 'run of new dodges'. Looked very similar to the new Ford commercials.

The car looked great in the ad. I hope that they keep it up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4