Wheel Choice- Help with final Decision!

70cuda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, finally got my wheel choice narrowed down to two wheels. Ready to pull the trigger, just can't decide which style I prefer. I think they would both be killer on my car. What do you guys think?
The car: 08 black roadster
wheel 1: HRE P40 in brushed or silver paint
wheel 2: ADV1 ADV5 in chrome lip and brushed center (can be seen here) ADV.1 - ADV5

Here's a pic of the P40, wish I could see the ADV wheel on a black viper. Appreciate your input. Tyler

Last edited:

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get the HRE's, ADV's owner is as crooked as they come, wouldn't buy a hotwheels car from that scumbag. That's just my opinion though.

Good luck with your purchase ;)

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the HRE's, ADV's owner is as crooked as they come, wouldn't buy a hotwheels car from that scumbag. That's just my opinion though.

Good luck with your purchase ;)

I would listen to Andy. He knows his stuff when it comes to wheels and the companies that sell them.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't ADV change owners? I could be wrong.

Based on the above pic - The P40s will be the way to go.

tcsracing1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
late chime in here, however iforged wheels tend to be the hot ticket item on vipers

WAM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the company but my vote is for the ADV. It is a great looking wheel and I prefer a five spoke wheel. I like the two tone silver effect. Would look real good on a black car.

04v10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey im new to this forum but i got adv5's on my viper 20/20 setup. I live in canada and i got nothing but great service from the guys at adv. The quality is the best ive seen. They even arrived a week and half before they were suppose to.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
P40 looks good. Just one thing to share unless it's already known and if so, please just ignore my comments; IF going with bigger diameter wheels and lower profile tires, there's a bit of loss in performance with lower profile tires, same with stiff side wall tires like runflats, because the slip angle is smaller and the car will feel more darty on the road. Slip angle is the amount of tire contact angle relative to the rim. A simple way to explain this, if the car is stationary, and you turn the steering wheel, the rim will rotate before the tire will actually slip on the pavement, and this difference between the tire deflection and wheel rim is the slip angle. Just imagine if the tire was solid, the slip angle would be zero and the car would be extremely darty. Higher slip angle means more traction because of the ackerman geometry in steering geometry (the turning circle is not concentric for the left and right tire, one has to slip outside of the perfect ackerman circle), the tire side wall can flex and maintain contact, one of the reasons why you see tall sidewalls of F1 racecars. An another result is that there will be more tire wear. It's just a summary to share that going with low profile or stiff sidewall tires, there is a loss in performance / traction due to reduced slip angle going around corners. Yet if you just prefer the look, that's cool, whatever makes you happy is the goal for a decision.

Here's a quick geometry video I made a while back illustrating how the turning circle is not concentric for left and right tires when turning, and when going beyond the slip angle of the tire it will scrub. Basically, watch how the center of the left tire turning circle moves away from the center of the turning circle of the right tire. This is a result of the king pin axis not going thru the wheel center, it's a common problem with pretty much all of the steering systems on cars today, and why the slip angle of a tire is a benefit.

http://www.wincom.net/mnllehti/2000_Black_RT10_Ackerman_Video.wmv

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not trying to steal 04v10's thunder here...but these are the pics he posted in the other SRT thread. They are fully chromed ADV.1s.

Both of your wheel choices are very different from each other. I think with the P40s, everyone will know right off the bat that they are aftermarket (I mean that in a postive way) The ADV.1s, in that style, look alot like OE wheels, and may be mistaken as such.

You must be registered for see images attach

From a practicality standpoint, the P40s will be tougher to clean for sure, and the SRT brakes dust terribly, so you'll constantly be dealing with that. On my 360 Forged wheels, which are styled simliarly to the ADV.1s, I'm able to reach into the barell of the wheel through the spokes and keep that area spotless too, without removing the wheels. Just food for thought...

Member "NineBall", who is the HRE dealer for the forum, photoshopped a set of P40s on my black vert. Here they are in the brushed finish.

OP
OP

70cuda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, glad I got to see the ADVs on a black vert. I had already spoken with Nineball and have seen the photoshop of the p40s on your car Absoluthank Seems to be mixed reports on ADV customer service, however I've heard nothing but good things from HRE. Think I am leaning that way. Anyone e;se want to chime in?

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If adv ownership changed than great!

If you want HRE's contact Nineball
360's/Modular Concepts : Me
IForged : Matt
CCW's : Call them directly John and his wife are great!

OP
OP

70cuda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so my next question is on the P40s would brushed or silver paint look better?

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
P40's brushed and cleared (or anodized). I have brushed and anodized CCW's on my GTS and love the look. P40's were my second choice, but I like them better on SRT's.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brushed!! Please do not paint HREs...just clearcoat them, they'll be just as easy to maintain, and you'll get to see their beauty all the time.

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The ADV1's look amazing but IMO only further the resemblance to a C6 Corvette. The P40's look more Viper oriented with a nod to the original SRT-10 10 spoke.

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not trying to steal 04v10's thunder here...but these are the pics he posted in the other SRT thread. They are fully chromed ADV.1s.

Both of your wheel choices are very different from each other. I think with the P40s, everyone will know right off the bat that they are aftermarket (I mean that in a postive way) The ADV.1s, in that style, look alot like OE wheels, and may be mistaken as such.

From a practicality standpoint, the P40s will be tougher to clean for sure, and the SRT brakes dust terribly, so you'll constantly be dealing with that. On my 360 Forged wheels, which are styled simliarly to the ADV.1s, I'm able to reach into the barell of the wheel through the spokes and keep that area spotless too, without removing the wheels. Just food for thought...

Member "NineBall", who is the HRE dealer for the forum, photoshopped a set of P40s on my black vert. Here they are in the brushed finish.

Kinda looks like the BMW coupe wheels.

You must be registered for see images

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but neither wheel does it for me. The P40s look like stock Gen 3 wheels. The others look like stock 5 spoke wheels off of an 06. For the money I would definitely buy a set of OEM 6 spoke wheels used on the 09. They are light as he!! and look great. About $1600 for a set of four. For $700 you can even have them chromed. A no brainer for me.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but neither wheel does it for me. The P40s look like stock Gen 3 wheels. The others look like stock 5 spoke wheels off of an 06. For the money I would definitely buy a set of OEM 6 spoke wheels used on the 09. They are light as he!! and look great. About $1600 for a set of four. For $700 you can even have them chromed. A no brainer for me.

But they're 18/19, and that looks terrible:D

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any of you guys seen wheels by Savini ? My friend is doing a show Camaro SS with Savini wheels with carbon lips . He also did the hood , roof , rear deck and sill in carbon fiber etc..... I'll post pictures in a few weeks when it'sall done . Here's the link for Savini wheels m buid your own

Savini

OP
OP

70cuda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But they're 18/19, and that looks terrible:D

I agree which is what I'm trying to avoid. I actually like the fact that the p40s look 'similar' to the stock 10 spoke viper wheels, anything too different I think I would get sick of over time.

On a different subject, Absoluthank, how have the vipair coilovers worked out for you now that you've had them on the car for a while. I bought a set for my 03 and never installed them and now am leaning towards KWs for my 08 but wondered if maybe I should just throw the vipairs on for now.

OP
OP

70cuda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to the Savini rep at SEMA, mos tof their wheels seemed a bit too blingy for me but I was a bit overwhelmed by all the wheels at sema so would love to see pics on a viper

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree which is what I'm trying to avoid. I actually like the fact that the p40s look 'similar' to the stock 10 spoke viper wheels, anything too different I think I would get sick of over time.

On a different subject, Absoluthank, how have the vipair coilovers worked out for you now that you've had them on the car for a while. I bought a set for my 03 and never installed them and now am leaning towards KWs for my 08 but wondered if maybe I should just throw the vipairs on for now.

PM Sent:2tu:

OP
OP

70cuda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you guys think the wheels on the silver car I posted are brushed or silver paint?