Wheel / tire combos

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted feedback from you guys on the following scenario:

I have 3 sets of 17" purner race wheels, and anticipating a lot of club racing and open track events, I purchased a ton of tires for these wheels. They ran out of front tires in the hoosiers and then moved to a new version of the tire (from the R3S03's to the R3S04's.) So I have 4 RSS03 rear tires and 4 RSS04 front tires. Not ideal, but they run pretty good on thet rack in this mixed configuration.

Now comes the issues -- I had a series of brake issues and ultimately swapped out my font brakes for some even bigger brembos I had laying around. The problem now is that the 17 inch wheel will not clear the larger front caliper, so I have to run 18's on the front. I have started to buy 18 inch wheels (from Bobby Archer) in the Forgeline VRL setup, but I still have a ton of these 17 inch tires and wheels.

So what are your thoughts on running the 18 inch forgelines up front and a set of the 17 inch purners on the rear, to use up these tires at open track events. I would still have the older style Hoosiers on the rear and the new ones on the front, and have never run them in this configuraion with a larger front and smaller rear tire. The front 18's are 305's while the 17" rears are 335's.

Lastly, should I just sell off my brand new RS304 Hoosiers that were for my fronts (17's) or run them on the rears as well (they are 305's, not 335's.)

I hate the thought of selling them for a big loss and having to buy new ones all over again, especially if they are going to work fine for open track club events.

-M

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
anumber of VRL drivers would use 18s in F and 17s in the R. However, that was before my time. As long as the ride hight is correct it should not be an issue if the tires are close in traction, etc.

My .02

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of VR1 that are certified through Aug 06. They were just sent to Forge line for a checkout and re-torque. They come with 18" on the fronts and 19" on the rear. From what I've been told(1/4 mile racer myself), this is the hot set up. Selling through the classifieds for $4500, but will accept any reasonable offer.
188284wheel_001-large-med.jpg
188284wheel1_001-large-med.jpg