When a Simple Project goes Wrong

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday, a friend of mine was over poking around the garage, and noticed the K&N intake sitting in a box by the wall.
He suggested since he was here, that we'd take the few minutes it would take to put it on. He said he'd like the chance to work on something like a Viper.
I wasn't going to put it in till I started driving the car, that way I might imagine a difference(doubtful with 15 hp). But.... since he was there......
He grabs a screwdriver and starts taking off the airbox cover, and the first thing I grab is the clip for the Intake Air Temperature Sensor. Well what do you know, it's got a little red piece inside it, plus the usual black plastic prongs you see on most clips. I fumble with it for a minute, to no avail, then decide it just needs to be forced a little....
Snap!..... #@&*!
I act like it's no big deal, 10 minutes later we're done, and he's on his way.
Today I call my local Dodge dealer, and all he can find is an engine harness to the tune of $1100, and the sensor itself.

Anyways, the point of this long winded story, does anyone know a part number for just the clip? Or anywhere to find one without buying the whole harness?

Also, any tips on pushing the pins out of the one I buggered would be appreciated.
Thanks, its an 05 by the way.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know the specific part number, but I've broken a ton of those and I've been able to just find a replacement plug, cut off the old one, and splice in the new one. The pins that I've replaced push in from the back and click into place - once they're in, you won't get them out again. I've found them at RockAuto.com - do a lookup on pigtail connectors. Or, if you have a good auto parts store around, you might be able to match something up with the one you have.

If it's still working, you could just wrap it with electrical tape to hold it together...

Last edited:

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Intake Air Temp sensor is common to a lot of dodge / chrysler / jeep vehicles... get a connector and pigtail from a junkyard pull... cost you about $5 max. And you won't have to play with the pins.

If you don't want splices... you need a special set of "picks" that will release the pins, and your dealer should be able to order a new connector housing... click it all back together and you'd be set.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The chances of that ever coming apart, even without the red clip, are probably slim. The wire prongs/contacts themselves are spring loaded for an interference fit. The rubber gasket will provided resistance against separation.

It sometimes amazes me the near aviation quality stuff they put under the hood, and then your headlight switch knob falls off the second time you use your turn signals.