When are the numbers due????

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering when performance numbers will start showing up in the rags. There were little blurbs this month, but no real hard date. Will next months rags provide us with some REAL testing on the production versions of the SRT? The car is only a few scant months away...

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rags usually have a two month time delay...So all the press reviews that should be taking place now, will probably be in the August issues. IMO

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a "press embargo" set up until October 1. At that point you will see all the magazines start the release of actual information. Before you ask why, the reason is so that at VOI we can be the first to hear about it.

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve...

I am happy that Dodge will be releasing the information to us prior to us hearing about it in the rags
smile.gif

So, can I get that SRT to drive on the drag strip at VOI?? can you put a good word in for me?
smile.gif

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would bet that the SRT/10's will only be allowed in our groups hands at the autocross. If any of the PVO guys are there for the drags you may then see one on the track?

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would beg the question - are there any large immovable objects between the AutoX and the drag strip that cannot be driven through or over?
laugh.gif

Black SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
deleted

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Rick Martino on 08-08-2002 at 09:29 PM</font>

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rick Martino:
Dodge needs to start building excitement now! .....not in Oct.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roger that. I appreciate the attempt to get us information first, but October is definitely too late if cars start being delivered in September....

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure where you guys are getting info that customer cars will be delivered in August or September.

First, to start with, Dodge has already made it pretty clear that NO Customer cars will be delivered prior to VOI, which is September 25-30. Now, that takes us to at least the first of October.

Second, they can't release cars until they have all the emission certifications, and my guess is that will not happen until sometime much deeper into October...... at the earliest.

Patience is a virtue!
yesnod.gif

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard the same thing as Kingman has - regarding emissions certification holding up the cars.

However, the cars will be starting production in July, as far as I am aware... so in Jul/Aug/Sep/Oct, they should be able to make a good 400 cars... which would all be released right when the certification comes in... so there could be a flood of cars released at once, no?

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark O:
You mean all of this talk about it doing the quarter mile in the mid 11's is just all talk????

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you see, the symtom we have here is called a bad case of BLOWING SUNSHING UP YOUR A$$. We all know its ugly, so how do you compensate? Say its super fast. Even if it does 11's doesnt a Gen II do that too? Come back and say it does 11 flat, Ill be impressed then. But then I'll look at it, and have to run to the bathroom to puke.

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark O:
You mean all of this talk about it doing the quarter mile in the mid 11's is just all talk????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark, old boy... I think you need to meditate. It seems that no matter what we say, you always read it as a negative or see the negative side of it.

I said:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Just wondering when performance numbers will start showing up in the rags
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You heard:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
When will we hear what the numbers are
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, the talk of the car running mid 11's is not talk... it is the estimate of what the car will run, based on some info that's been circulated. I'm curious when the magazines will release THEIR test numbers.

And why would you be concerned about 1/4 numbers? Need to sharpen up you info for the bench racing sessions?
laugh.gif

Smokin,

Yes, a few GTS Vipers have run 11's. Since you are saying it's not big deal that the SRT will do, I can assume you have run 11's and you know what it takes? You sound like the guys who quote a high number from one rag for car A, and a low number from another for car B, and then proclaim that the cars are therefore equal or B is faster. Watch out for those Z06's... they run 11.7's you know!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick, the media embargo is something that occurs frequently in the auto business. That is why you pretty much see all the same cars covered in all the magazines in the same month.

As for production, I would guess that you will not see Viper's delivered before late October, and could be even later. They seemed focused on getting the launch out right verses fast.

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brunton,
Yes I have run 11's in my Viper. I do know what it takes. I have owned cars that have run in the 10's, 9's, 8's and even 7's with my pro-stock dragsters. So putting all things equal, stock for stock, if a current Gen II can run solid 11's 11.70's, I would expect at least 11.49s or better with a supposedly lighter car with more torque and hp. Otherwise, if we are only talking a 10th or two, then the difference between the SRT and the Gen II wouldnt even be noticeable.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The difference between GenII and III will be significant....once the road turns, and they all do. You can argue style, taste, numbers, blah blah blah. The SRT will be a great car to me, don't much care what negative people think about me or my car.

If the delivery dates (and the real numbers )come in October, I'll just hold off until January....and save $2000 in that stupid luxury tax.

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SmokinV10:
Brunton,
Yes I have run 11's in my Viper. I do know what it takes. I have owned cars that have run in the 10's, 9's, 8's and even 7's with my pro-stock dragsters. So putting all things equal, stock for stock, if a current Gen II can run solid 11's 11.70's, I would expect at least 11.49s or better with a supposedly lighter car with more torque and hp. Otherwise, if we are only talking a 10th or two, then the difference between the SRT and the Gen II wouldnt even be noticeable.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smokin,

Can you post a copy of that timeslip? You ran an 11.70 in a stock car? What was your 60' time? 1/8th ET and MPH? Trap speed? ET?

"Supposedly" lighter car - you think Dodge is lying about the weight savings?

GTS weighs the same (little bit MORE actually) than the GenI Viper... but has 50hp more and 25lb-ft. Difference in performance is substantial. SRT weighs less and has 50hp more and 35lb-ft. You do the math...

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike - not that it really matters, but the new lower weight differential is so small, that I believe that my RT/10 probably weighed less that that when I autocrossed it. As I run without the top or the spare tire & associated hardware, my guess is that the RT/10 in that configuration probably weighs less than the SRT.
Yes, I know that the spare tire is an important part of the crash rigidity of the car, but it is unlikely to come into play in an autocross situation, and I might just be willing to live dangerously.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte