When Do Stock Coil Packs Give Up?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always understood that the OEM coilpacks in the Gen 2's were good for all N/A applications and that only when TT/SC engines were approaching the 900-1000+ HP range did the coils need a "boost" to keep up. In trying to tune the most recent N/A build on my car, there's an apparently coil-induced break up at 5000 rpm or so. The old build (which had no problem at all) was 630 RW, the new build seems like its got 670 in it but it breaks up. Anybody have experience with where the standard coilpacks can't "keep up"?

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock coils are pushing Sal's car into the 6s. If you're truly having a coil issue, I would replace it with stock or potentially consider the Screamin' Coils as an alternative. Doesn't appear that our cars really need a coil boost.

Reaction score
I've always understood that the OEM coilpacks in the Gen 2's were good for all N/A applications and that only when TT/SC engines were approaching the 900-1000+ HP range did the coils need a "boost" to keep up. In trying to tune the most recent N/A build on my car, there's an apparently coil-induced break up at 5000 rpm or so. The old build (which had no problem at all) was 630 RW, the new build seems like its got 670 in it but it breaks up. Anybody have experience with where the standard coilpacks can't "keep up"?

Hello DrumrBoy,
If you were running an extremely high compression engine then I would suggest tightening the gap on your spark plugs. A bad spark plug, bad wire or something else, perhaps fuel related could cause your problem(s). But if your factory coil is in good condition it should have no problem supporting your HP.

Best of Luck!
Doug

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, those coils are built for high HP... I mean, they used the same packs in the beastly Caravan! :)

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just yesterday... well over 1000 FWHP on Gen-2 coil packs gapped @ .028

I wouldnt worry about the coil design... whether they are functioning correctly is another story.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Consistent with what I've always heard over the years, the stock coil packs are generally good for most builds.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoops, pushed the tab button..... to continue with what I was trying to offer is that this weekend on a road course, the spark plug gaps were moved down from 40 to 30 and the problem didn't get better. I do have a couple of end-of-the-fuel-rail cylinders running leaner than the rest so it could be al related to fuel delivery and not spark as originally theorized. The injectors are close to maxed out (93%) so bigger injectors will alleviate that. The main theory now is that the pulse waves are not allowing proper fuel delivery to the "end" cylinders. Changing the position of the regulator might help create a different pulse wave and eliminate/minimize the issue. Thanks for the input on the coils though!

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look at 'em and see. I need 46-48's.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Speed Racer, I checked the ad but it didn't mention flow capacity. Do you know what the number is?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to Sean they flow [FONT=&amp] 49.5 lbs/hr at 55 psi. Like I said they came off a blower car so I'm not sure if they will fit the stock intake. Maybe email Sean?[/FONT]

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speed Racer, unfortunately these won't fit.....I have a Gen 3 intake set up. Thanks for citing the possibility though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang