When I go WOT in first I get a puff of smoke.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if it happens in other gears since by then the car could be going too fast and is dispersing the smoke.

I also see it if I excellerate quickly in reverse. Ummmm don't ask how I found that out.

Suggestions as to what it could be?

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michael, I'm sure the answers here could vary, but if your really
concerned about the condition of your motor - to check valve
seals/guides, hook up a vacuum gauge to the intake. If you
get a steady 17 to 20 at idle, you're ok. If you get an fluttering needle with wild swings, you have leakage from
valve seals/guides. To check ring seal, do a compression check. If these check out ok, then its probably just oil being
slung and finding its way into the intake via the valve cover
breather connection.

Then again, it might just be an over rich A/F mixture, which could be checked the next time you take it in, or right after you experience the smoke, shut the motor off, and do a plug reading.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michael,

The most common reason I have heard for this is the engine "puking" oil into the airbox under expecially hard acceeleration - it then gets sucked into the motor and burned, hence the smoke.

Check your airbox for oil!

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Most likely, as HP and Mike suggested, it's the PCV system. These engines **** a lot of oil into the intake with this PCV configuration.
Also, the vaccum at idle may vary by the year (cam). A stock '97 GTS idles with less than 15" Hg vacuum. Perhaps the newer ones are higher?

Sean

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelP:
I don't know if it happens in other gears since by then the car could be going too fast and is dispersing the smoke.

I also see it if I excellerate quickly in reverse. Ummmm don't ask how I found that out.

Suggestions as to what it could be?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Micheal,

I agree 100% with the posts above regarding oil getting back into your engine. Upon heavy braking or going into reverse, your oil will actually "pool" up and get sucked back into the engine. it's really no big deal, not to worry. Brake VERY hard for a good amount of time, from like 100 to 40 mph really quick. Then lay back in the throttle and see if it does it. If it does your sucking oil back in the engine. When my car did it, I was slightly overfilled with oil. I drained some oil (Overfilled by about a quart) and problem never surfaced again.

Gerald

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS