When is the worst time to run out of gas (roadracer must read)

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about on the race track during a qualifying race! The Socal Viperclub was out at Willow Springs this weekend with about 20 Vipers for a fun weekend of road racing with the Touring Car Club. A great time was had by all, EXCEPT our own SSpeedracer, one of two Vipers entered in the wheel to wheel race (John Grieco's full race Viper was the other one). During Mr. Dearing's qualifying race he was in 5th place (out of 25 cars) and on the last lap he ran out of gas, John how could you do that. SSpeedracer ended up qualiying 16th for yesterday's race, but kudos to him he moved all the way up to a 4th place finish. We can only imagine "what if". You can bet all the other Viper owners had a good razzing for Mr. Dearing and made sure he had plenty of petrol for yesterday's race.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you tell John about the doo hikey with the little red needle with the letter "F" at one end and ""E" on the other.
laugh.gif

And at $5.00 a gallon, gas isn't cheap at Willow.

JH23JOB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually the worst place to run out of gas is in the middle of the frikin' desert in Arizona in 112 degree heat. That happened to me this year as we took a road trip to LA in late June. The worst part was that the gas gauge wasn't even in the red zone yet ( looked like about an 1/8 tank left ), and I had planned on fueling up at the next exit 6 miles down the road !!! At least we were in my wife's Plymouth Breeze. I kinda thought that someone would stop and give me a lift to the next exit, but I was WRONG. There was a F@@KING cop that passed us........I wanted to scream at him for looking at us, and not even letting off the gas as he passed us by !!!!! I called a towing company to come out with some gas, and they charged me $79.oo for the service call, and 2 gallons of gas. Needless to say, I was ********** at the whole situation. Oh well, 10 miles down the road again, I totally forgot about it, and we had a really good time the rest of our 2 weeks.

I never let a fuel gauge get less than 1/4 tank now. Lesson learned........Don't completely trust your gauges.

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I deserve that.

Senior moment.....yes thought that a half a tank was good enough for 12 laps. Guess not.

Everybody layed it to me pretty good...When I got to the track Sunday morning Ron,Lance,Craig, expressed there concern about my gas problem by taking racer tape and writing "GAS" and an arrow pointing down to the gas cap!!
emb.gif

I have heard enough gas jokes to last me a year. I guarentee you this....it will never happen again!!!!!

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, go easy on him! At least he remembered to pu the gas cap back in for this weekend.
baby[1].gif

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh by the way if any one need an instructor i suggest MR. offroad himself......Ken Adleburg... this guy nows how to take a Viper off-roading!! Maybe be he should have been a Rally driver!!!
laugh.gif
shake.gif

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K Adelberg:
Hey guys, go easy on him! At least he remembered to pu the gas cap back in for this weekend.
baby[1].gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken, after John had to borrow 5 gallons of gas from me for the race on Sunday he forgot to put the gas cap back on!!!! I had to put it back on for him
laugh.gif

BTW Ken the next time we go out for a lesson we'll use my 4x4 Jeep
laugh.gif

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Mr. DEARING, its Adelberg! Man, the senior moments are becoming too frequent.

Hey guys, there is only so much the instructor can do. I was telling him to watch the exit over the intercom. My hands are tied when the student says he was focusing on the late apex and forgot to look for the exit. Just one lap before I tried to reinforce the concept of always looking as far down the track as you can. That was a better "Dukes of Hazard" impression than Deering's rally slide through turn 5.

Craig, hope Sunday was a blast!

IMSOSLO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to defend a GenII GTS driver but.....

SoCal Rebel shouldn't be throwing stones about running out of gas. I seem to remember a couple of weeks ago he had an issue with an oil leak. Turns out he left the oil cap off after topping off the oil.

By the way, where is all the smack talking that was rampant before the event.

Old slow '94 GEN I.....131.26

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IMSOSLO:

Old slow '94 GEN I.....131.26

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"1:31.26"?

That Gen 1's got the stuff! Or maybe its the driver, huh?

Anyway, that's an eye opener. I didn't know the Gen 1s were that capable. Didn't have any real reason to think otherwise, just didn't realize it. Good Show.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ulysses:
From SoCal Rebell

You must be registered for see images

laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's too funny!

What does it say on the rear glass?

edit Never mind, it says "you lose".
smile.gif

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you guys are too much!!
laugh.gif
i love the "YOU LOSE" on the rear glass.. i cant wait for viper days at button willow.. hopefully you all will be attending..

quick impression:
"i hate that guy.. its sick.. hes so frickin fast..makes me sick"

smile.gif

- eddie -

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John: "Hey John, do you think adding 5 gallons is enough to do the race?"
John Horton: "NO, add 10 gallons."
John adds 5 gallons.
John runs out of gas.

John at dinner Sat. nite: "John, I guess 5 gallons wasn't enough."
John Horton: "Duh!"
Anyone want to nominate John for a Darwin award?

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bill Pemberton:
Ouch Johnny!!! Senior moment, eh , bud?

Assuming Grieco won?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, unfortunately Grieco was passed by a very fast BMW M3
frown.gif
... okay it was a full-on race car with a professional driver behind the wheel. And Grieco was on rain tires and had some brake problems. Still that was one fast BMW. I think he said he was doing 1:26's. Grieco gave a good fight but that guy was too feekin fast. What was cool though was on Saturday when the BMW past Grieco in traffic near the end of the qualifying race, only to have Grieco set him up comming out of 9 and beat him to the checker!

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Rebell:

BTW Ken the next time we go out for a lesson we'll use my 4x4 Jeep
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John and Ron, lay-off Ken. He was/is a good instructor, I just went a bit over my head a bit too fast. That said, I've never gone off with John as an instructor
wink.gif
LOL. Seriously though it wasn't Ken's fault.

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K Adelberg:
Hey Mr. DEARING, its Adelberg! Man, the senior moments are becoming too frequent.

Hey guys, there is only so much the instructor can do. I was telling him to watch the exit over the intercom. My hands are tied when the student says he was focusing on the late apex and forgot to look for the exit. Just one lap before I tried to reinforce the concept of always looking as far down the track as you can. That was a better "Dukes of Hazard" impression than Deering's rally slide through turn 5.

Craig, hope Sunday was a blast!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exit?.. what exit?
wink.gif

I missed the two Orange group runs in the morning as Dan Cragin was checking my car out and as I got the tires remounted. Emil let me run in the next Yellow group and I drove very very cautiously. It might take a bit of time for me to get my confidence back up so I'm fair game
wink.gif
. As I went through the first few turns I could hear gravel spilling out of the car. That and the fact that the car was puking oil through the intake again made it a slow run.

The real fun on Sunday was all the Pit antics as you can see from this thread
smile.gif

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ulysses:
From SoCal Rebell

You must be registered for see images

laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahhh... I love my good tapework
supergrin.gif
Sorry John buddy, couldn't resist. That's what you get for sleeping in on Sunday
wink.gif

Good photo Lance, but you got your reflection in the photo standing on JOHN's trailer
laugh.gif

What you missed was the little "L" we put on Ronny's (SoCal Rebel) car between the "S" and "o"
laugh.gif
. Lance, where was the camera?

All in good fun... Gotta love those Viper racer guys
smile.gif

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IMSOSLO:
I hate to defend a GenII GTS driver but.....

SoCal Rebel shouldn't be throwing stones about running out of gas. I seem to remember a couple of weeks ago he had an issue with an oil leak. Turns out he left the oil cap off after topping off the oil.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember that too
laugh.gif

Killer Bee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can truly understand how someone can run out of gas - everybody has, normally under the age of 18.....

Where I am having trouble is trying to figure why my car is as fast as Ron's with street tires, rookie behind the wheel, different line through every corner and generally guessing where to brake?????

John,

It is a good thing you could not see video of yourself in turn 4. I don't know how you kept all 4 tires on the track?????

Serious exciting stuff to watch!!!!

Remember all of us guys giving you crap were sitting in the stands smoking cigars - not on the track.

Lance

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
quick impression:
"i hate that guy.. its sick.. hes so frickin fast..makes me sick"

smile.gif

- eddie -

[/B][/QUOTE]

Eddie, you got good ears and memory (are you part elephant), the whole "gang" will be at BW Viperdays.

"Put your seat belts on, it's gonna be a bumpy ride"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang