Where do you fill up.

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know my car runs with no issues using Chevron or U-76 and some of the other well known stations which most I think get their fuel from the same place.
But does anyone use Costco's fuel. I have used it a few times and the car runs just as good as any other I've used in the past. Well, the price is a bit lower but I'm hoping the quality is just as good. Any thoughts

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I work for Costco and put our gas in my Vipers when I can. It's out of the way but when we have a good price I can't pass it up. All gas comes from the same place it's just what kind of additives they put in it. My Vipers have run just fine using Costco gas. You should be good to go. No worries. :)

JPUConn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bjs Gas- high volume so they are constantly refilling with fresh gas and I dont go during peak hours.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 for costco gas in all our cars whenever possible (=most of the time, for years), including the viper for no problems

Jay M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had two friends notice that they consistently get better gas mileage when they use Chevron. They say the difference is enough that it's worth paying more for Chevron because they still come out cheaper because of the better mileage.

I also read on another forum that GM has Chevron gas trucked into Michigan to use on their test cars.

Those two things make me think that Chevron might be better in some way than the others. Whenever possible/practical I fill up all my cars with Chevron.

~Jay

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Costco gas ***** here in Jersey! Everytime my dad fills his van with the stuff, it stalls while were driving! We always ended up having to drive around in the parking lot first, wait for it to stall and start it back up again! Any other gas works fine. I myself use Sunoco or Shell but around here cheap gas is shady gas!

--RS

lxadeuce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Valero, Chevron, Walmart, Shell, HEB grocery store, Kroger, Sams.... hmm... wonder if there are any more places that sell fuel?

edit... and believe it or not, i work on my own car and AM NOT a viper tech nor even a certified mechanic

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been using Shell lately because a local grocery chain gives gas discounts at Shell stations. The last visit I paid $2.89 for 93 octane. :headbang: Otherwise it's Sunoco.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only Shell. Anyone I know who has actually tested different fuels by datalogging has had best results with Shell fuel. Plus I make Shell's fuel so I trust it.

lxadeuce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had two friends notice that they consistently get better gas mileage when they use Chevron. They say the difference is enough that it's worth paying more for Chevron because they still come out cheaper because of the better mileage.

I also read on another forum that GM has Chevron gas trucked into Michigan to use on their test cars.

Those two things make me think that Chevron might be better in some way than the others. Whenever possible/practical I fill up all my cars with Chevron.

~Jay

Only Shell. Anyone I know who has actually tested different fuels by datalogging has had best results with Shell fuel. Plus I make Shell's fuel so I trust it.
oh no, which shall i use, both have good results? what does dodge recommend we use... Unleaded? Diesel? E85?

http://www.stopbuyingcrap.com/stop-buying-crap/brand-conscious-buying-3-gasoline/

2. Gasoline is then sent from the refinery storage to bulk storage terminals via tankers, barge, or a common pipeline. In the common pipeline scenario, batches of gasoline are not physically separated, thus mixing of these products from different refineries occur.

•Yes, gasoline from a Shell refinery may mix with gasoline from a Mobil refinery.
•Yes, sometimes you’ll be buying Shell refined gas, at a Mobil station.
3. Gasoline is stored at bulk storage terminals across the country, which usually serves various different companies. At these terminals the gasoline are then loaded into the tanker trucks. It is at this point that additives are added into the truck’s tank, differentiating one brand of gasoline to another.

•Tanker heading to a Shell station? Load up the gasoline, and then pour in the Shell additives into the tanker. Bam. Shell gas. Tanker heading to a Chevron station? Load up the gasoline from the same terminal; add in the Chevron additives into the tanker. Ding ding. Chevron gas.
•Just how much of these additives are added into the tank? The amount varies, but for some it’s a quart of additives for an 8,000 gallon tank.
Huh? A quart of additives in an 8,000 gallon tank? That’s all the difference?

Eh? The difference from one brand to the other happens in the tanker truck, right before it reaches the gas station?

How effective these brand name patented additives formula work will always be up to debate, but here are a few things you should consider:

•A station’s tank quality, the tanker truck it contracts, the consistency of its many suppliers to maintain the quality in the chain of distribution affects the quality of the gasoline more so than the additives themselves.
•Consumer Report attempted to test the differences between brand of gasoline in relation to acceleration and fuel economy, but scrapped the test because the little differences found were no more so than the differences found from other factors such as air temperature and humidity level.

Last edited:

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh no, which shall i use, both have good results? what does dodge recommend we use... Unleaded? Diesel? E85?

http://www.stopbuyingcrap.com/stop-buying-crap/brand-conscious-buying-3-gasoline/

2. Gasoline is then sent from the refinery storage to bulk storage terminals via tankers, barge, or a common pipeline. In the common pipeline scenario, batches of gasoline are not physically separated, thus mixing of these products from different refineries occur.

•Yes, gasoline from a Shell refinery may mix with gasoline from a Mobil refinery.
•Yes, sometimes you’ll be buying Shell refined gas, at a Mobil station.
3. Gasoline is stored at bulk storage terminals across the country, which usually serves various different companies. At these terminals the gasoline are then loaded into the tanker trucks. It is at this point that additives are added into the truck’s tank, differentiating one brand of gasoline to another.

•Tanker heading to a Shell station? Load up the gasoline, and then pour in the Shell additives into the tanker. Bam. Shell gas. Tanker heading to a Chevron station? Load up the gasoline from the same terminal; add in the Chevron additives into the tanker. Ding ding. Chevron gas.
•Just how much of these additives are added into the tank? The amount varies, but for some it’s a quart of additives for an 8,000 gallon tank.
Huh? A quart of additives in an 8,000 gallon tank? That’s all the difference?

Eh? The difference from one brand to the other happens in the tanker truck, right before it reaches the gas station?

How effective these brand name patented additives formula work will always be up to debate, but here are a few things you should consider:

•A station’s tank quality, the tanker truck it contracts, the consistency of its many suppliers to maintain the quality in the chain of distribution affects the quality of the gasoline more so than the additives themselves.
•Consumer Report attempted to test the differences between brand of gasoline in relation to acceleration and fuel economy, but scrapped the test because the little differences found were no more so than the differences found from other factors such as air temperature and humidity level.

Your location will play a big role in all this. The refinery I work at makes fuel for Shell stations locally. We blend our fuel right on site before it is loaded for railcar transport off site. The only time you will get shell fuel at another station is when Esso has an upset and cannot make fuel. They have a contract with Shell that we will supply them before supplying our own gas stations. So strangely enough, when Esso's plant goes down, Shell stations run out of fuel.

In any sense, ignoring these small and rare technicalities, Shell fuel has been more reliable in the evidence I have seen. And I am not touting a company motto, I was working for Exxon just back in May. But I was on the Shell fuel bandwagon well before I ever had thoughts of working here.

If anyone cares enough to do their own research and find out what works best for themselves, then simply do some datalogging with different brands of fuel. You can physically watch your average knock retard change between tanks of fuel from different stations.

OP
OP

10 BANGER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Interesting,
How does Shell compare to Chevron.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

http://www.toptiergas.com/

I stick with Shell&Exxon 75% of the time i refuel my vehicles because there are plenty of em around me and they are the only two toptier's in my state.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I work for Costco and put our gas in my Vipers when I can. It's out of the way but when we have a good price I can't pass it up. All gas comes from the same place it's just what kind of additives they put in it. My Vipers have run just fine using Costco gas. You should be good to go. No worries. :)

Our Costco gas is 10% Ethanol and is listed as such on the pump. Not all Costco gas has enthanol according to their website but if it does, it's labeled with a sticker on the pump. My wife fills up there because its easy, clean, safe and she feels a good price. My argument about the price is since it has 10% ethanol, how much does that cost you in miles per gallon and is the small percentage difference in price enough to make up for the lower fuel mileage :dunno:

She's been running Costco premium in her ML550 for almost 2 years with no problems or issues.

For a Viper being run hard at track events in the heat, I really don't know if the 10% ethanol will make detonation worse, better or it doesn't matter...anybody know? I'm assuming since ethanol has less btu's that you don't make as much horsepower, but not entirely for sure.

Cheers,
George

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our Costco gas is 10% Ethanol and is listed as such on the pump. Not all Costco gas has enthanol according to their website but if it does, it's labeled with a sticker on the pump. My wife fills up there because its easy, clean, safe and she feels a good price. My argument about the price is since it has 10% ethanol, how much does that cost you in miles per gallon and is the small percentage difference in price enough to make up for the lower fuel mileage :dunno:
For a Viper being run hard at track events in the heat, I really don't know if the 10% ethanol will make detonation worse, better or it doesn't matter...anybody know? I'm assuming since ethanol has less btu's that you don't make as much horsepower, but not entirely for sure.

Cheers,
George

Almost all the gas in California has 10% "oxygenate" added. This used to mean ethanol or MTBE, but now it's pretty much all ethanol that is used. From the CARB website:

3. How much ethanol was required in gasoline under the Federal Energy Act for 2008?

The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 requires that fuel producers must increase their use of renewable fuels every year through 2020. For 2008, this effectively corresponded to a required national average ethanol content of 7.76 percent by volume.

4. Will the Federal Energy Act requirements increase ethanol content in gasoline to 10 percent by volume?

Yes. We expect that the Federal Energy Act requirements will lead to a required national average ethanol content of 10 percent ethanol by 2012. However, California has had 10 percent ethanol in it's gasoline since the beginning of 2010.

5. How much ethanol is in the gasoline I buy in California?

Currently most gasoline contains 10 percent ethanol by volume.

Chemeng

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Shell is the only fuel I use. No issues with it and like to stick with what works. Have put 2500 miles on her since April. New Pilot Super Sports about 4 weeks ago, best tires I've ever owned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32