Where do you go to change your oil?

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay I did a search and came up empty. So where do people go to have the oil changed?

Doing it myself is not an option.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you were near me I would do it for you... Best bet though would be a jiffy lube or a place with a pit. Bring your own oil and filter. They usually charge like 15.00..

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A quick lube place around the corner charges $10 when I bring my own oil and filter. For that price I'm not going to bother getting my garage dirty.

Bill

GraphiteGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go to a quick lube try and go when they are not busy and ask them to allow a little extra time to let the contaminated oil drain. I do my own and let it drain a minumum of three hours.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be afraid that the Jiffy Lube guys would tighten the bolt too much when replacing the plug. Anyone ever had that happen?

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be afraid that the Jiffy Lube guys would tighten the bolt too much when replacing the plug. Anyone ever had that happen?

Don't forget, aluminum oil pan. No more than 25 Lbs of torque. Don't let them strip your plug. Or, plug your stripper, something like that. :p

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[quote... Don't let them strip your plug. Or, plug your stripper, something like that. :p

[/QUOTE]

Classic! :headbang:

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like letting her drain overnight and sleep well knowing as much as possible is leaving the motor.

Of course, a 99.9% drain in 5 minutes is close too, gotta be a Viper thing.

OP
OP
H

Hockeysnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys are beautiful. So let me see if I have this straight...take the car to the left or right side of my garage, let it drain for 3 hours or overnight then take it to Jiffy Lube and make sure they give my stripper at least 25lbs of torque when plugging her while she is holding the oil filter I brought and if that doesn't work send the car to our good man Chuck Tator.....Man, I thought changing the oil would be easier.

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Hockey, if you don't mind driving to south Chandler, I'd be more than happy to change your oil/filter. Check out this thread, my garage is ready......

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=430994&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I have plenty of Mobile 1 10w-30 and your choice of Mopar or Mobil 1 filters. Just reimburse me for the cost of the oil/filter, or bring your own. Oh, and by the way, you owe me a beer! :2tu:

If you lost my number, shoot me an email.

Jim

JKNUST

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LOL, I thought I was the only one that let my oil drain more than 30 minutes.

Two things I have done to help out (anyone else do this)?

1. Dump one quart in with the plug still out to "wash" out dirty oil
2. Put an air hose with light PSI and blow through the fill cap

In both cases I notice much/most of the dirty oil come out. When I have had less time and I am busy and didn;t want to wait a full hour on draining, but still want as much old oil out, I thought why not dump one quart through?

I did know a Pantera guy (a clean freak) who changed the oil once, started it up, and changed it again 10 minutes later. That is too much for me.

-josh

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't that a little overkill to let your oil drain for soo long? How much more oil could possibly come out after the plug has been out for 5-10 minutes? Isn't synthetic oil designed to stick and leave a film on metal? I just wait for the stream of oil to stop and when it is dripping very slowly I put the plug back in and fill her up.
I have never had an engine failure on any car because I didn't get the last 2 drops of "dirty" oil out.
The way I figure it, what little dirty oil is left will become so miniscule once you put the new clean oil in that it will just blend together.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dealer.They provide the oil.You provide a Mobil 1 filter.I get to watch,look,touch,probe,observe the underside etc...Course I also buy coffee and have been known to leave tips.Note:When a Viper tech takes x-tra care and time to be careful and do things just right It can leave him behind the rate manual when he is taking good care of your prized piece of machinery.When you go to VOI etc with wife or significant other you get two sets of everything.Some people sell on e-bay.I gave a set of VOI memrobelia to the Viper tech.The service dept was in awe and he almost cried.Yep true story.Got to take him,wife and kids per their request to the next track day I do. Bruce

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drain the oil until I get drops out. Put the plug back in and add one fresh quart of oil. Then I drain the new quart. You'd be suprised to see how much junk comes out.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drain the oil until I get drops out. Put the plug back in and add one fresh quart of oil. Then I drain the new quart. You'd be suprised to see how much junk comes out.

Interesting idea.

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can't change it yourself, buy Mobil One oil at Walmart or somewhere else cheap. If you want a Mobil One filter buy one too. Then take them to your dealer and let the Viper tech change the oil. Their charge shouldn't be any more than $20-22, and you don't have to worry about the mechanic doing the work.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Isn't that a little overkill to let your oil drain for soo long? How much more oil could possibly come out after the plug has been out for 5-10 minutes?

Someone here did a quick study on this once and got almost a full quart leaving it overnight. I tried it once - measuring from the point where it takes 15 seconds between drips and leaving settle for 8 hours - and came up with almost an extra half quart.

Normally I would think its overkill, but nothing is too good for girl...

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you can't change it yourself, buy Mobil One oil at Walmart or somewhere else cheap. If you want a Mobil One filter buy one too. Then take them to your dealer and let the Viper tech change the oil. Their charge shouldn't be any more than $20-22, and you don't have to worry about the mechanic doing the work.

To each their own, but something I personally would never do. Like taking your dessert to a nice restaurant.