Where the rubber meets the road

Johnny GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read so many conflicting stories regarding when to replace tires on the older Vipers (1996 GTS), that I am somewhat confused and now even hesitant to take my Viper for a ride for fear of the worst. I realize that one of the most important safety features of any high performance vehicle is good sound tires , as well as good sound judgement in the driver's seat. In my particular case, my Viper has under 7K miles, original tires all around has never been raced or even driven hard, (I guess it's had a pretty boring life), It's been in a climate controlled environment since new. I know looks are deceiving especially when dealing with 17 year old tires, however the car sits on plywood as well. I know there can be dry-rot issues as well as other causes for tire failure, I do plan on replacing these but is it an absolute necessity even if I plan on using the car sparingly. I know I should use it more (health issues prevent prolonged enjoyment) any opinions are appreciated!

mmcc269

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 93 RT with 6000 miles all original... Don't drive it much like your situation... I decided to store my stock wheels/tires and picked up a like newer edition wheel tire set of the forum with 80% tire life pilots... Not sayin you should do this but it's an option - if you get a good price it's about the same as new rubber w/mount and balance.

djviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those tires are nearly 20 years old, replace them--it's a no brainer.

My 99 RT had original tires when I bought it in 2007, they looked great (only 5k miles) and had no rot but they had very poor grip--when finally replaced the tires a few years later the difference was night and day.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not only are your tires pretty old and hard, but newer tires have far superior technology for traction, and resistance to aquaplanning, better handling.

If you drive around carefully, your tires will most likely suffice, but if you get into the throttle, brakes or turn sharp, you should expect them to be fairly non responsive.

It's llke getting new glasses. You did not notice how much you were missing.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read so many conflicting stories regarding when to replace tires on the older Vipers (1996 GTS), that I am somewhat confused and now even hesitant to take my Viper for a ride for fear of the worst. I realize that one of the most important safety features of any high performance vehicle is good sound tires , as well as good sound judgement in the driver's seat. In my particular case, my Viper has under 7K miles, original tires all around has never been raced or even driven hard, (I guess it's had a pretty boring life), It's been in a climate controlled environment since new. I know looks are deceiving especially when dealing with 17 year old tires, however the car sits on plywood as well. I know there can be dry-rot issues as well as other causes for tire failure, I do plan on replacing these but is it an absolute necessity even if I plan on using the car sparingly. I know I should use it more (health issues prevent prolonged enjoyment) any opinions are appreciated!

Replace them. From all my digging on the situation when I replaced tires on my '01 viper the tires should be replaced every four to five years. Regardless of how good they look. The moto I go by is..."Is you car worth more to you then $1400?" If it is then new tires is a no brainer.

Randwortman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a '93 RT/10 with 19,000 miles and 20 year old tires (according to the date codes) about 18 months ago. Had great tread on the tires and the car was incredibly maintained over the 19 years. It was never tracked or driven hard. I know the first two owners quite well. Long story short, I put new Michelins on it and the difference was incredible. Replace your tires. You won't regret it.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely replace them. No question. As Paul said, if you're just rolling around in the driveway they're fine, but if you do ANYTHING aggressive those tires may put you in a position you don't want to be in.

OP
OP
J

Johnny GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input/advise I'm gonna do the right thing and replace ASAP. Is anyone familiar with what should be used as a replacement? I understand the original Michelin Pilot SX series is no longer produced, I want to remain as stock as possible. Any suggestions on purchase/cost/location? I once had a local shop scratch-up the wheels of one of my other vehicles and just don't trust too many. Know what I mean?

dtvtech

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I second third and forth that motion! I bought my 94 four months ago the tires looked ok had plenty of tread, but they were rock hard and rode awful. Four new PS2's will totally transform your car. Mine is TOTALLY different now in the best way possible at high speed and low speed. The car goes around corners like it's on rails now and the ride is smooth as silk. What you are doing is robbing yourself of experiencing what you bought the car for in the first place. I would go out today and get them replaced and get the front end aligned :drive:I promise you, you will not regret it.

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Buy new tires. Store the old ones if you want the originals for some future show purpose. Even if you don't drive the car often, the difference is huge in terms of comfort and control. I intend to replace my tires whenever they get too old as a maintenance item on a specialized vehicle. Yes, they are expensive, but life and property are worth more.

Rare Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've put about 8,000km on my 2001 GTS that I bought a year and a half ago, with the original tires still on it. As a couple of guys have said, putting around town was no problem, but you'll feel how scary they are when you play around, or give it any road course duties. I just replaced them a couple of weeks ago with a BF G-Force KDW set from Viper Parts of America, and I absolutely cannot believe how amazing these cars can be on a new set!! You will be shocked at the difference it makes!

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...too many Vipers get crashed because the owners/drivers hesitate too long to get new rubber.
New versus old rubber is night and day or life and death.

The small patch of rubber is all you have to keep your car on the road.

It should be common sense to any sports car owner but, well ...and, replace all 4 at the same time!

A mix can be as bad as old rubber.

Blainne

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Replacing the tires will help alot. Tire tech has gone a long way in the last decade. Older tires won't hook or perform like they were new or as well as the new tires, but they are still usable. Not to the limits of using them at the Track or taking high speed corners, but drivable.

Also regardless you be afraid of your Viper for any reason which isn't a good thing. I highly suggest taking it to a drivers course/race track with an instructor and explore the limits of your new car. I take every new car I purchase and take it to a large open area and see what the limits are. Rain/Snow/Corning/High speed acceleration. All cars react differently. On the road is the last place you want to be when you find out where the limit is. (Or the limits of your new tires...)

Vipers are not scary. The DRIVERS behind the wheel of the Viper are the scary part of the equation. I've drivin 700 rwhp Vipers/Z06's in Snow Storms on the interstate without incident on Drag Radials. (white knuckled of course) Dont' be stupid and the car will be fine. Be Stupid with a High HP car it will Bite you in the Rear.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...too many Vipers get crashed because the owners/drivers hesitate too long to get new rubber.
New versus old rubber is night and day or life and death.

The small patch of rubber is all you have to keep your car on the road.

It should be common sense to any sports car owner but, well ...and, replace all 4 at the same time!

A mix can be as bad as old rubber.
THIS! GTS Said it About as Plain & Simple as You can Put it! I Know When I Did it, I Couldn't Believe How Much Difference it Made( Night & Day)! Good Luck & Stay Safe!

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replace them. From all my digging on the situation when I replaced tires on my '01 viper the tires should be replaced every four to five years. Regardless of how good they look. The moto I go by is..."Is you car worth more to you then $1400?" If it is then new tires is a no brainer.
how much is your life worth?-never mind the car

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a chance to test the new Michelin PSS on my Gen-4 now.
Street? Super. Wet? Excellent.

Track? Nope! Gets 'greasy' very fast...think the old PS2 were better on the track...
My 2 cents.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21