Where was the Viper??

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
October 2009 Motor Trend Mag had a cover article called "2009's Top Ten Driver's Car". I remember seeing the ZR1, R8, Cayman, GT500, Camero SS, a Nissen, the top caddy, and 3 others...but no Dodge Viper. Why is that?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That article sucked. The Cayman wins. Any performance enthusiast would agree that the ZR1 does everything better than the Cayman, but they rated the ZR1 lower because it was scary for them. Wussbags. They claimed the Cayman was easier to drive to the limit, well that is because the limit is SLOW.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe there has been little or no exposure of the Viper by the New Company.....Also the Mags see it at as a status quo with no new synergy since the advent of the ACR which appeared heavly in Mags in late 08/early09.......they need to come up some update - whether tweeking/performance upgrades to spark some interest to put it back in the competition.....It's not only the Magazine in question....look at the rest of them...the Viper is being pushed to recess and forgotten....

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still can't believe the Miata got spot #3!! :omg: Cause the Miata is a way better drivers car over GT500,ZR1,Camaro SS, CTS-V, etc :nono:

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CAMARO
Come on people. It's only been around for 40 years.

The Viper wasn't in there because no one likes a ringer.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read the article, and was glad that the Viper wasn't tested. The Miata came in ahead of the ZR1. The editors are *******.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can assume the article was written three-four months ago and the advertising is scheduled at least that far ahead, too.

I went to the University of Virginia, back before the drinking age was raised. ******* had an annual article about the top ten party schools and being a student, of course, it was cool to be on the list. (As parent, not so sure.) The article counted down from #10, came to #1 and never mentioned U.Va. Aack! What's wrong with these people? Until the very last sentence, and without further explanation:

"Sorry, U.Va., we don't rate professionals."

With that in mind, I can take a lot of "lists" from experts with a grain of salt.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
90% of the articles on the rags are simply driven based on advertising dollars. The other 10%...are written by people that now zip about cars...

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple answer -------------Chrysler advertising in magazines is just about nil !!!
And that, sad to say, is precisely the point, or at least a good part of it; the rest, I suspect, is made up of equal parts of (a) a lot of these magazine guys evidently can write a bit (quite a bit!) better than they can drive, (the results of this comparison being a case in point!), and (b) shilling to the perceived expectations of some of their readers (glowing reviews of the Nissan GTR, that videogamer's piece of rice burner delight:rolleyes: being a shining example!).

I infer from the above, and reading between the lines of more than a few reviews, that most of these scribes dislike the Viper because they fear it (ignorance and/or lack of skills will do that to you; I seem to recall a comparison test involving the 06 SRT-10 coupe where one of them asked Herb Helbig where the traction control was located - Herb's reply was a classic, and the basis for my sig), and consequently prefer to ignore it (as in this case) or structure comparisons so that the Viper cannot win. In a recent instance of the latter, one mag, having put the new ACR up against some of its more logical competitors in a "track shootout" (with real expert drivers instead of the writers for a change), proceeded to throw a $250,000 Gallardo into the mix ( the next most expensive ride was a Porsche GT2) in order to edge out the Viper! This begs the question of what an ACR with, oh say, $30,000 in additional mods (leaving one enough change to buy another Viper just for the street), would do to said Italian exotic on the track - I think we all know the answer to that one!:D

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Define "Drivers Car".

My definition is way different than the average person. This magazines target audiance is the average person, so the results of the article are understandable. no beef:)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chrysler no longer hands out "Demo" Vipers to the magazine idiots. Instead of having writers that can drive or have taken driving courses they have writers that are average drivers with a little more knowledge. I believe they own VW Beetles and Cheapo Minis? A couple have Malibu Hybrids?

Anyway, Chrysler stopped supplying the magazines with "testers" after getting more than a few back in garbage bags. I'm sure that thye magazines asked for money since the accidents were "Caused by lack of Traction Control"??? Anyway, Vipers were built to be driven by good DRIVERS and Chrysler offered HP Driving Experiences with Viper purchase to make certain that all new Viper owners are good drivers. Not sure if this is still offered?

Because North America has such a Love of Import cars is another reason why the magazines test more imports than domestics.

AND ... as Bill P said, Chrysler hasn't advertised the Viper in years. If they wanted to sell more Vipers they'd advertise. Giving Chrysler their 'due', they have spent a lot of money on the VCA and WE DO a lot of advertising on their behalf. I've written more than a dozen magazine articles on Viper events and my Viper experiences (as have Julie and a few others) that was published in Domestic Driver - A bi-monthly online magazine featuring Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, and GM Cars from 1980+ Local newspapers often highlight the Viper Club and "their high end exotic cars" when the VCA has an event in their town.

BUT ... maybe having set the "High mark" for all sportscars made in the World Chrysler doesn't need to advertise? Any magazine that shows/picks some other "car" as being fast, is obviously doing a bad job of reporting and has been "bribed/corrupted" by other car manufacturers. I suppose that there are some writers that just have their "heads up their asp" as well?

Ted

Last edited:

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That article and other ones like it in all the car mags is the reason I don't subscribe to any of those pos's. I wouldn't even wipe my sheeps' butts with one of their rags. Let them tell the "dumb as a bag of hammers" masses which car is the best "driver's car". We'll just snicker.

OP
OP
F

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chrysler no longer hands out "Demo" Vipers to the magazine idiots. Instead of having writers that can drive or have taken driving courses they have writers that are average drivers with a little more knowledge. I believe they own VW Beetles and Cheapo Minis? A couple have Malibu Hybrids?

Anyway, Chrysler stopped supplying the magazines with "testers" after getting more than a few back in garbage bags. I'm sure that thye magazines asked for money since the accidents were "Caused by lack of Traction Control"??? Anyway, Vipers were built to be driven by good DRIVERS and Chrysler offered HP Driving Experiences with Viper purchase to make certain that all new Viper owners are good drivers. Not sure if this is still offered?

Because North America has such a Love of Import cars is another reason why the magazines test more imports than domestics.

AND ... as Bill P said, Chrysler hasn't advertised the Viper in years. If they wanted to sell more Vipers they'd advertise. Giving Chrysler their 'due', they have spent a lot of money on the VCA and WE DO a lot of advertising on their behalf. I've written more than a dozen magazine articles on Viper events and my Viper experiences (as have Julie and a few others) that was published in Domestic Driver - A bi-monthly online magazine featuring Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, and GM Cars from 1980+ Local newspapers often highlight the Viper Club and "their high end exotic cars" when the VCA has an event in their town.

BUT ... maybe having set the "High mark" for all sportscars made in the World Chrysler doesn't need to advertise? Any magazine that shows/picks some other "car" as being fast, is obviously doing a bad job of reporting and has been "bribed/corrupted" by other car manufacturers. I suppose that there are some writers that just have their "heads up their asp" as well?

Ted

M-m-m-m, I was never offered a driving school from Chrysler for my 2009 Viper, although dealer did say something about this coming 'in the mail'.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
M-m-m-m, I was never offered a driving school from Chrysler for my 2009 Viper, although dealer did say something about this coming 'in the mail'.

The 'OLD' Chrysler offered HP Driving Experience lesson and VCA membership with all new Vipers. A way to show their concern and caring for their customers. Considered both to be safety features.

Tator's was a Dealership back then. With the new Chrysler, bankrupcy, etc. I don't know if those items are still included in the sale of a new Viper.

Ted

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted,
I've got an 09ACR coming in from Woodhouse. If I recall correctly from the info, SRT Track Experience is still included. I went to one of these after I got my 06 FE Coupe and found it fun and a good basic learning experience.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper wasn't in there because no one likes a ringer.

Agreed!
This sounds like the same problem with sports writers... how many times can you run an article saying Michael Jordan is the best basketball player ever... that's not "news" and most people aren't going to stick around to read or watch another special on it... Doesn't change the fact that no matter how many points Kobe scores this week or this entire season he will never be Jordan..... (or pick your own irrefutable sports parallel)

1badsrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
October 2009 Motor Trend Mag had a cover article called "2009's Top Ten Driver's Car". I remember seeing the ZR1, R8, Cayman, GT500, Camero SS, a Nissen, the top caddy, and 3 others...but no Dodge Viper. Why is that?

In case you were wondering, all those magazines are nutswingers to the company that pays them the most $$. The SRT vehicles are always crapped on by those mags. This is why I dont read them. Too much bias toward foreign vehicles especially.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ted,
I've got an 09ACR coming in from Woodhouse. If I recall correctly from the info, SRT Track Experience is still included. I went to one of these after I got my 06 FE Coupe and found it fun and a good basic learning experience.

Thanks for that tidbit.

I also took the HP Driving Experience and was lucky enought to get JonB as my instructor. HPDE is an absolute minimium experience before really having an informed opinion on how Vipers compare to other supercars. Until all those "other brands" are in your way and lowing you down though the corners you don't have a clue. It also is a necessary lesson on what YOU need to do to survive an incident.

Since I've always owned fast cars and been a "bad" boy I thought I knew how to drive, and I was pretty good for a Steeter, but even 1 driving course made a noticable improvement in my driving. Imagine the improvement for a Honda or Audi driver ...

Ted

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried a Cayman S out with my wife for her. The gas pedal is 2 stage kind of like it has a switch half way down. I drove a 5 series BMW like that once, really weird. Anyway, I was not impressed with the Cayman at all. Would not even consider it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang