Which Knob is best?

HISSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About to have a HURST short throw shifter installed. While I understand the throw is reduced by about 30% and the effort increases, assuming an MGW knob and elimimating look preference, which is better the ball or first strike? Man that was a run-on-sentence mouthful!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the round knob is best mainly because I like round knobs but maybe not everyone does so you should get more opinions but still I like the round one although I did look at the other knob but I think I'll stick with round because it looks best like the factory knob but maybe someone else has something to say like what kind of knob they would get for their car if even they want a new knob because maybe the stock knob is really OK with some people but maybe not you?

That my friend, is a run on sentence. :D

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Argh! Too late.
Tom, I have the MGW round knob in my '98 not that it does any good now but I like it very much. I'm sure either will be a huge leap from that 10" tall stocker..:D

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo withhhhhhhhhhhhhh
tttthheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ..............................firstttttttttttttttttttttt
Strikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............

knobbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb!!

The other one is so low you will be rubbing your knuckles on the surround ring of said shift lever.

Enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As always the WRITER, Bill!!! (We have the short-throw, someone else showed a picture of the exact one we have...but I've lost it and cannot even recall what make the shifter is, has a picture of FANGS in RED (yep, Dave!) on top of the ROUND shifter, with a 'grab' under the front of the knob.) Works wonderfully. ~juli

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo withhhhhhhhhhhhhh
tttthheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ..............................firstttttttttttttttttttttt
Strikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee............

knobbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb!!

The other one is so low you will be rubbing your knuckles on the surround ring of said shift lever.

Enjoyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!

He's right, forgot the Gen2 vs Gen3 config.

OP
OP
H

HISSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey nice to hear from ya Bill even with your version of the run on sentence. With less than 100 posts, OK, now I see how it works here! Thanks for the input. :)

PS Really enjoying the ride. Thanks again for making it easy.

CANTDRIVE55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Juli,

Yours is a Hurst shifter and knob:

9142PICT0008.jpg

Doc

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the 'Fangs' is flat on top of the round shifter, and there's a 'grip' under the bottom back of the 'ball'. I was thinking Hurst, but I know someone else showed an exact same pic (possibly from a black Mamba--maybe Nader?) that showed the red fangs flat on top of the ball. Thanx for your help~~juli
http://forums.viperclub.org/showpost.php?p=2392729&postcount=2 It may this one, only ours has red fangs...does this have a 'grip' on the back of it?

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the First Strike better, but that is because I tend to grab the knob from the side. The First Strike has a semi pistol grip feel to it, whcih fits my shift style better.

If you grab the knob from the top, you will likely prefer the round one.

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I actually never grab the knob at all. Only semi-open hand push/pull the knob to the next gear. This virtually eliminates the possibility of shifting into the wrong gear.