Which oil mark to go by on dip stick?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I check the engine oil level on the dip stick, the oil marks are on inch off from one side to the other. It seems like the stick in going into the block at a sharp angle. Any others have this issue and which mark should I go by? One side says I’m a quart low, the other says it’s overfilled.

Note: I'm checking the oil cold first thing in the morning.

:usa:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had same problem. I was going by highest mark, but was told to actually go by the lowest mark. I tend to burn a quart or so every couple thousand miles or so of spirited driving. So by your readings, Im assumimg then you are a little low.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can some one clarify a noob to Vipers the right oil weight for the '06 SRT?

Thanks

It should be the same as a 2005. 0w-40 Mobile 1 from factory. I beleive 03-04 used 10-40.

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks

I have my manual out in the car, but I am traveling in it and a snow storm hit.
There is about 8" of snow on the car and 2' dritfs around it. No way I'm going out. :curse:

I'll be snowed in for a couple of days, CRAP.

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had same problem. I was going by highest mark, but was told to actually go by the lowest mark. I tend to burn a quart or so every couple thousand miles or so of spirited driving. So by your readings, Im assumimg then you are a little low.

Wish I new for sure. Right now I'm going in the middle.

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use the low mark. The high mark is from the dipstick rubbing against the tube as you insert/remove it.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Historically, the oil reading is more accurate on the back side of the stick measured against the fron side markings. The easiest way to tell is to see where it falls immediately after changing the oil

OP
OP
Andrew/USPWR

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Historically, the oil reading is more accurate on the back side of the stick measured against the fron side markings. The easiest way to tell is to see where it falls immediately after changing the oil

good idea but isn't there an exact answer?

The difference is either a quart low or 1/2 quart over:-(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang