Which scan tool for a Viper.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to buy an OBD-II scan tool that does more than read and erase codes. It should display lots of runtime parameters. I currently have the basic Actron CP-9125 model. Which brand/model do you use and recommend?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without going nuts in cost, this will do exactly what you asked for. "Drive Right Car Chip E/X" , Davis Instruments is the manufacturer. I think I paid about $130 at Autozone. It's a small device just barely bigger than your OBDII port, you plug it in and drive around. Pull it out hook it up to your PC via a supplied cable and your parameters are displayed over time. Pretty cool for $130, what I really would like is the equivalent of LS-1 edit, but now I'm really dreaming. Now that we're on the subject, anyone know where to get a good deal on a DRBIII?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without going nuts in cost, this will do exactly what you asked for. "Drive Right Car Chip E/X" , Davis Instruments is the manufacturer. I think I paid about $130 at Autozone. It's a small device just barely bigger than your OBDII port, you plug it in and drive around. Pull it out hook it up to your PC via a supplied cable and your parameters are displayed over time. Pretty cool for $130, what I really would like is the equivalent of LS-1 edit, but now I'm really dreaming. Now that we're on the subject, anyone know where to get a good deal on a DRBIII?

What type parameters does it show you?

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had a BR-1 OBDII-to-PC interface for a long time. I use an older laptop with serial port and it's the best tool for the dollar. Knock on wood, I have not needed it for the Viper yet (nor tried it) but I have a Land Rover Discovery and have got my money out of it by just clearing codes. Check it out at http://www.obddiagnostics.com. It's less then $100 and even cheaper if you want to build it yourself! Looks like it even supports Pocket PC Dyno software; a Dyno in your pocket? It's a marvel.

Hope this helps,
Santo

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The pc based tools offer the best value. Talk to Sean Roe, he sells the EASE software. You want the version that offers the enhanced protocol. They also offer a Pocket PC based package.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both the actron and the EASE. I like the actron for the portability but the EASE is better when i'm trying to do more than just read and erase a code.

JD

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What type parameters does it show you?

Similar parameters that the BR-1 shows, basically any of your sensors, vehicle speeds etc. Best to check it out online. The reason I liked it, is that you don't need a lap top or anything in your car. It's just a small chip that plugs into your OBDII port and stores all the info. Downside is that you can only choose x number of parameters to view at any given time. Also your essentially buying a tool that expires, mine came with 300 Hrs. of use. I really don't think you'll use all that up anytime soon though.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With any of the devices just make sure you have adequete logging time. Secondly, you should have a device that is has a fast polling time. Each channel you log cuts the response speed proportionally. Most of the cheap handheld devices have limited recording time and are rather slow.

The best of both worlds is the pocket pc with the Ease software or Auto Ingenuity software. Auto Ingenuity offers a BlueTooth, connector that works wireless. It slows the repsonse some, but, you can connect via USB when you log. The BlueTooth is nice for setting the adaptives.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack, the Auto Ingenuity sounds interesting to me, because I have a pocket PC high speed wireless phone w/bluetooth. I did a search and couldn't find it on the net. Is it marketed through a different company? Thanks, any info on a DRBIII?