white out's run

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tomorrow I am driving the Viper from Grand Rapids, MI to San Diego, CA with a stop in Vegas. THe run from GR to Vegas will be done in one run. I have been watching the weather, and on the fly will be deciding between taking the 80 across the country and attempting the 70 through the Mountains in Colorado; or taking the safe route on the 40. Either way, I am attempting to knock at least 7 hours off Google's time to Vegas. Then spending three days in Vegas; thinking Vdara, Aria, or Encore. Finally hitting San Diego just before New Years.

In preparation for the run I have done the following:
Front tow hook
Blinder M27 Laser Jammer
4300k HID low beams
Hella H3 fog lights
routine maintenance

Other mentionables:
still rocking PS2s
3M clear bra
V1 hardwired
iphone with trapster & google maps
handheld CB
laptop
hatch will be filled with things for the move
ipod with ****ty fm transmitter
gummy bears
co-pilot - girlfriend

I will be updating pictures as we go. Unfortunately the pics on the road will be from a iPhone 3g8gb. When I get to SD, DSLR pics will be up. . . and then the car is going to need a thorough cleaning.

Installing HIDs and Laser Jammers:
You must be registered for see images

Nick

Last edited:

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to knock 7 hours off is ambitious, especially this time of year, but may be doable. Watch out for ice :(

What brings you to my neck of the woods?

Ron

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1000's of miles a GenII GTS and female copilot! If that ain't heaven nothing is!!!!
Merry Christmas to you!!!!! Good luck

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good luck and be safe, Nick. Looking forward to seeing the pics from this trip. Did you decide to keep the car?

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been snowboarding in Vail for the last 3 days and just got back yesterday (Friday) afternoon. The roads from Vail to Denver are completely clear...maybe a little wet from melting snow...and I'm almost certain Vail to Utah is clear also. Good luck!

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um, sorry to be a buzz killer, but fyi, if you get a 'reckless driving' with a passenger in the car in most states that is a felony, for good reason (reckless endangerment). You might want to leave the gf behind. Also, make sure you have your auto club 'bail' card, and up your liability ins to at least a mil.

Last edited:

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you notice that guy laying on your motor has a belt (and suposedly buckle) on?!! Remember the rule...only naked....and only female. ;)

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Early 26th update. Just loaded my skateboards, some tools, and backpack into the car. Now have to fit a laptop, girlfriend, her bag, and a suit.

1000's of miles a GenII GTS and female copilot! If that ain't heaven nothing is!!!!
Merry Christmas to you!!!!! Good luck
That's what I was thinking. :D

Good luck and be safe, Nick. Looking forward to seeing the pics from this trip. Did you decide to keep the car?
The deal with the car is; I love it, but I really want a Murci. Fortunately driving the car and enjoying it until it is sold does nothing but keep a big smile on my face. :drive:

I've been snowboarding in Vail for the last 3 days and just got back yesterday (Friday) afternoon. The roads from Vail to Denver are completely clear...maybe a little wet from melting snow...and I'm almost certain Vail to Utah is clear also. Good luck!
Thank you for the update.

Um, sorry to be a buzz killer, but fyi, if you get a 'reckless driving' with a passenger in the car in most states that is a felony, for good reason (reckless endangerment). You might want to leave the gf behind. Also, make sure you have your auto club 'bail' card, and up your liability ins to at least a mil.
Buzz Killington, what leads you to think that I am going to get a reckless driving citation?

Did you notice that guy laying on your motor has a belt (and suposedly buckle) on?!! Remember the rule...only naked....and only female. ;)
That's me on top of the engine. Yeah, nobody wants to see me naked on the car. :omg:

swing on by my place in vegas and we can detail it up for the last leg of your trip!
Thanks! Shot you my info via PM.

Nick

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fyi-speeding more than 20 mph over the limit qualifies you for a reckless driving citation in most states.

PS-I don't 'think' anything, I am just sayin.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Let us know how did the HID conversion go. I got the 4300 K HID and Polk Audio speakers for my Viper this Christmas from my son .Take it easy on the drive , we don't want to hear cop stories ;):drive:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the way to VOI 11 I got halfway through Iowa until I saw my 1st officer. He was pleasant (got down to 89 after hitting the brakes in a 70 mph zone) however I still got a ticket. I got stopped roughly 7 hours later in Nebraska, this time I got down to within 3 mph of the speed limit before getting stopped...the officer was pleasant again and I got a warning. The next day in Wyoming, I got stopped again, managed to get down to within 5 mph of the speed limit, again a warning, but this time the officer was really cool; the stop was over 30 minutes of lost time however.

I hope you have a safe and uneventful drive; I was very pleasant to each officer, so if you meet any of them I'm sure they'll be nice to you as well.

Regards,
Aaron

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was pretty impressed with the PS2's in the rain, hit a good size storm coming home from the VOI from the Bonneville Salt Flats to Reno. As long as the road was crowned and asphalt, I was able to drive 80 mph to 85 mph...didn't even feel the rain. But, the bottoms of overpasses had standing water and or low spots, often had to slow to 55 mph when going through truck size puddles. Also some of the concrete sections of the highway just would not shed water like the asphalt parts did....be careful.

I think you can beat the 7 hour google challenge you've set, the problem isn't going to be you or the speed limit, it's probably going to be the smaller bladder sitting next to you. Everytime you stop it totally kills your average speed.

Good luck and hope the weather (snow and ice) doesn't cause any delays.

Cheers,
George

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We made it to I-70 in just under 13 hours with stops totalling over an hour. Relying on Colorado's site & weather.c0m we went for the mountains. It was perfect. Then just before Loveland it came down hard and the chain signs lit up. I did a 180 drift through an opening between e & w I-70 and headed back down. That cost us over 7 hours of extra driving. Total time was 30 hours non-stop and screwed around Vegas for an hour. Averaged 80-100mph. I had a police encounter too. This is from my iPhone. I will have full story & pics later.

Car is currently parked out front of Vdara.

Nick

OP
OP
W

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I just made it into San Diego today. I didn't want to spend the $30 to use a computer at Vdara, so there were no updates.

Left at 3pm on Sunday, December 26th.

Pulled in Nebraska, was averaging 90-100mph and was at 100 for over 35 miles. Cop gave me a written warning; then asked 1. what my license plate mean, 2. how fast I had gotten the car; finally said that I could dispose of the warning the next time I fueled up. :lol:

Made it to Denver in just under 13 hours with a stop for food, stop for pictures, along with refueling stops. Attempted a run at the I-70. . . The I-70 was dry!!!!!! Was doing 80mph up to Loveland, all going well. 10% chance of flurries for two hours and then clear all the way to UT!

Just before Loveland snow hits, hard. Over 2 inches on the road immediately. Signs light up for chains required and the tail of the Viper starts to get squirrelly going up the mountain. I see a break in the center divide wall and go for it. Went wide right and drifted through the opening to head back east. While going down the mountain, I have to figure out how to slow/stop/turn the car in this much snow while going down a 6% grade. Unfortunately before I could get a plan together the tail kicked out again, I pump the brakes & counter-steer to keep the tail in line as it sways left & right. I eventually get the car in line and am able to get it to 15mph in 3rd. We make it back down the mountain. Now it's time to head to the 25 S and go the southern route. The snow added over 7 hours of driving to the trip.

I continued to keep the pace at 85-100mph the rest of the trip. Made it to vegas in 32 hours, non-stop.

I had Valet park the car out front of Vdara. It made the 24 hour LeMons Vipers look clean.

Left Las Vegas on Thursday, December 30th at 3pm.

Traffic was bad the entire trip. I was trying to keep a constant speed of 85mph whenever I could. At one point we got off the highway an ran a desert road along the highway to avoid the traffic. Passed almost 100% of the cars in the right lane.

Overall it was a fun trip. My right calf is cramped up because of no cruise. Car was driven 32 hours straight and never gave me an issue. Averaged a little over 22mpg.

When I set up my place here I will post up the pictures from my DSLR.

Nick

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awsome story wow you are quite the driver!

I am glad to hear you didn't have any problems you couldn't handle:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang