Who can make the quickest lap times-Super bike or F1?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Serious question: Does anyone REALLY know which series, Super bike or Formula 1 can make the quickest lap times on the SAME track, SOLO, and same DRY conditions. To keep some of the questions down, Valentino Rossi drives the bike and Michael Shumacher drives the F1 car? No guessing for you guess freaks. Does anyone have the REAL answer? Just curious. Thanks.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not even a contest an F1 car will own any bike on any track.

It has been proven time and time again that even fast stock street cars can and will beat bikes on race tracks. Do a search online, there are vids of cars like a 911 beating a super bike with a pro driver on the bike.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not even a contest an F1 car will own any bike on any track.

It has been proven time and time again that even fast stock street cars can and will beat bikes on race tracks. Do a search online, there are vids of cars like a 911 beating a super bike with a pro driver on the bike.

Nice try, but its not that black and white on the stock street cars comment.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am almost 99% sure that the F1 will pull quicker lap times than any Superbike with the best driver/rider in both. For starters the F1 has a lot more tire to hold it in the turns. Tirepatch on the Superbike is very limited in comparison. http://videos.streetfire.net/search/f1/2/D631E07E-92B1-4B59-B760-93FBABBECFC8.htm
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/f1/7/4C2F07FB-4DFD-440C-BF47-0984F0ECA874.htm
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/f1/7/186B48F4-AFEB-4EF7-AA17-D03186E05744.htm

Even though I don't have a superbike to compare it to, watch how fast the f1 pulls down an Mercedes DTM GT car at Silverstone in first video. I put in the second video to just give another perspective.
Third Video: Take note just how freaky fast the F1 eats up turns and is glued to the road at warp speed. I don't think I've ever seen a Superbike go through turns that fast and stick to the ground.

Whoaa GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a fifth gear episode awhile ago where they had a Gallardo go up against a Ducati (I think) but if I remember correctly the gallardo won. Obviously there are faster bikes out there, but a Gallardo and a F1 car arent in the same realm.

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Chuck, I figured you would know. Does anyone actually have the best times posted by each of these series on the same track?? IE, what is the pole time for super bike at say Siverstone VS. F1 pole times at the same track??

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not even close. Compare the one track F1 cars and F1 bikes both race on - Suzuka - and the cars are over 30 seconds a lap faster. And F1 bikes are faster than superbikes. It is all about downforce. Can't put a wing on a bike.

That said, I went searching and found lap record at Suzuka in a car is
K. Raikkonen in 2005 at 1:31:540 whereas I think the Moto GP guys are right around 2 minutes (could not find a citation). This year the bikes are at Motegi when in Japan so the only common track will be Sepang in Malaysia.

BadVenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree F1 vs. Superbike, pro driver, pro rider, etc... F1 will turn faster laps.

BUT I just can't agree to a blanket statement that ALL FAST stock street cars will turn faster time than a Superbike with a pro rider.....

I have road raced cars, But I just HAVE to argue against the "All Fast stock street cars comment," that is WAY to broad of a statement, PLUS I road race bikes!

5279TA05_MAM1017_382-med.jpg

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An F1 race car produces a LOT of aerodynamic down force at high speeds. Therefore they can take the turns at high speeds exposed to quite a lot of side G without sliding out. A motorcycle doesn't have this capability.

KMODStang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a fifth gear episode awhile ago where they had a Gallardo go up against a Ducati (I think) but if I remember correctly the gallardo won. Obviously there are faster bikes out there, but a Gallardo and a F1 car arent in the same realm.

I saw it too, and I would hands down say F1 over a superbike.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
track record at phoenix international raceways 9 turn - 1.5 mile road course is 1:05 for miguel duhamel on his honda CBR-600 road race bike. the track record for a comp coupe viper is 1:05. a track like indy's F1 road course or daytonas road course wouldn't be a tie though. the viper would win.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nuerburgring - some of the records so far

6:11 Factory Porsche (1983, Bellof, 956)
7:50 Bike (1993)
6:56 Radical SR8 (2005, 360 hp, weight 600 kg)
7:32 Porsche Carrera GT (2004)

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there was a TopGear episode that had a car vs. bike race and the car won. it was not an f1 car either i think it was Ariel Atom or Noble

It was the Ariel Atom.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
before the current tire technology for super bikes, a fast street car would take a bike, (search lap records @ lime rock or road atlanta for example) then all of a sudden the crazy tires appeared( with 3 different compounds on the same tire!) & lap time dramaticly dropped, I think this was around 1996 or so. One of my pals races ama & he is a low buck guy, his new almost stock super bike ( with race shocks, tires, headers) hit 175 plus at road atlanta back straight, thats ALMS p1 speeds! sick for under 10k but he walks with a limp for a reason:)

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been to a Formula 1 race and watched from a 90 degree turn. It is amazing how fast the cars can go around a turn like that. It's as if they are glued to the track. Then on the straights, the car would pull away from the bike in my opinion. I believe the car would win hands down.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
F1 without a doubt. Superbikes top out near 180-200mph depending on the track. F1 cars top out at least 20mph higher on equivalent tracks. F1 cars pull about 3-4G in lateral acceleration. Superbikes do the same when they crash. It's really a cakewalk for F1 when compared to Superbikes.

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Speaking as a biker and a viper owner the F1 hands down. A stock car though would greatly depend on the track. Some tracks the smaller 600cc bikes will stomp the liter bikes and eat up your average show room floor car.

F1 cars though hands down are by far the fastest. I heard several years ago that at speed they produce enough down force that they could run on the ceiling upside down. I'd love to see a track design to do that!

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't they do an article pitting a Viper against a sportbike? Mind you it was not a MotoGP bike but a superbike none-the-less. I don't recall who won but it was closer than I thought. I thought the bike would destroy. It was an oval track if memory serves me correctly. It was maybe 4 or so years ago. Anyone remember?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
F1 for sure. No contest. Ground effects, extremely low center of gravity, yet similar or better power-to-weight ratio to a bike pay off.

HOWEVER, when the discussion turns to street vehicles (as it has in this thread), it can more often than not be a reverse situation.

Typical sport bikes are much closer to their racing bretheren than a car (even the Viper). As an example, with my relatively heavy more sport-touring bike (1990 ZX-11) and my normal street setup, I see lap times in the 1 min 43 sec range at Laguna Seca, and can often see speeds in the 140 - 150 mph range between turns 11 and 2. However, even with competition-level tires and brake pads on the Viper (Hoosier R3S03), best I can do at Laguna Seca in the Viper is around 1:49, and barely top 125mph max speed before ******* the brakes for turn 2.

Comparing peak power to weight is clumsy at best, but still points out some differences; Power output on the bike is around 130 hp at the rear wheels - so, 550lbs for the bike and 200lbs for me somes at to 0.173 hp/lb (and at least five current bikes are lighter and have higher horsepower). Compared to the Gen II's 450 crank hp which works out to around 390rwhp, and my RT/10's 3400 lb plus my 200 lbs; 390/3600 = 0.108 hp/lb, and thus the acceleration difference is still quite significant. The car can carry more speed through turns due to lower center of gravity, at least in my case, as I'm not much of a knee dragger, but the bike will out-accelerate the vast majority of cars out there.

Then, there's the not-inconsequential issue of driver. One of our NorCal club members routinely gets around 1:40 at Laguna Seca with a 1996 GTS whose only modifications are brake pads, brake fluid, and tires - absolutely zero engine or suspension work (I've been to dyno days with him). He's just got the years of SCCA racing to know what he's doing better than most others. So, in his Viper, he can beat me on my bike, and is routinely about 13 seconds faster than I am in my Viper, and I am, believe it or not, faster than many others. :cool:

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bike, imho. :cool: Less between you and the other hard parts.

True, but at the same time there is less hard parts ot bounce off of. Large portion of racing bike wrecks the rider gets up with little more then sore mussles and often times gets back on the bike to finish the race!

I've taken my bike to the track several times. This weekend I'm taking the car for the first time and I'm more nervous about taking the car then I ever have been with the bike.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bike, imho. :cool: Less between you and the other hard parts.
I've taken my bike to the track several times. This weekend I'm taking the car for the first time and I'm more nervous about taking the car then I ever have been with the bike.
Of course - you'll heal, but if you hit something with the car, you'll have to pay to get it fixed. :cool:

Trust me, just like you undoubtedly did with the bike on the track, after the fourth or fifth lap, you'll forget you're in the car and really start enjoying yourself. However, as I'm sure you'll agree, the whole point to doing a track day is to find your limits by exceeding them; hopefully without exceeding them in a catastrophic way. So, when lock up the tires and almost slide off track or spin out in a corner, THEN you'll remember where you are and you'll start tip-toeing around the track for a while. :cool:

If you've got a spare set of wheels, definitely put some Kumhos or Hoosier R4S04s on the Viper before the track, as well as upgrading to a 600-degree brake-fluid. If its your first time on the track with the car, you'll probably be OK with the stock or street pads, but, if in doubt, spend the $200 or so for a good set of track pads (brakemans?) and spend the 20 minutes or so to swap out the front pads at the minimum.

Have fun!

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a BLAST! I did have some Hoosier race take offs which felt great! I had Jay Lopez as my instructor and I can't praise him enough. He was a great instructor and really helped me learn alot about just what our cars can do. I did loose it once though. Went into a turn a little to hot, slide sideways then it spun around the other way and put me in the mud. No damage though, just picked up a lot of mud on the fenders. :) I had a blast and loved every minute of it, even the sliding sideways part.

I told my dad all about it and he asked which I had more fun on the bike or the car. I don't really know for sure. Only think I do know, is on my bike when I pass guys they know I'm passing them cause of better skills, it's only a 650cc bike. The car when I pass, a lot of them just think it's the raw power of the car as to why I'm passing. It's still a hell of a lot of fun with both. Can't really afford to take the car to the track that often but I can't wait till I can do it again. Will most defently need to get some better brakes though. I felt them fade on me several times and had to adjust my speeds accordingly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang