Who else has a rattle at higher speeds?

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was out for a drive today with a friend having a good old time. Car was driving great with no problems but once the speeds got up to *** (for legal issues the first X is a 0 :D) the car seemed to have a rattle. Now the rattle isn't in the tires or anything like that. Car was smooth as she could possibly be. The rattle seemed to be coming from the passenger side like maybe the mirror, window, who knows.:dunno:

Anyone else have a problem like this?

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont have a rattle as such.... But i do get a whining from the passenger seat at high speeds.......

Chrissss

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Legal issues? What? You think if you list the speed the police are going to hunt you down and give you a ticket? Anyway, make sure your window is all the way up or down as it might be vibrating. Not likely the mirror but of course check it. Does it sound inside or mechanical?

OP
OP
J

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Legal issues? What? You think if you list the speed the police are going to hunt you down and give you a ticket? Anyway, make sure your window is all the way up or down as it might be vibrating. Not likely the mirror but of course check it. Does it sound inside or mechanical?

No I don't think the cops are going to hunt me down. When I run for political office I don't want people to think I am exceeding the speed limit. :lmao:

Doesn't sound like it is inside and doesn't sound like engine or anything. When I got out of the car I checked to see if maybe the mirror was loose or if something on that side might be vibrating. Nothing seemed loose and window was all the way up.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"whining from the passenger seat at high speeds" - lol, yes I have that problem sometimes.

If the window is partly down on my GTS it may rattle as well.

I was told that the Police are using YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. and handing out tickets. When the speed, vehicle, person, date, place and time are given (especially with a 'confession') that is enough for a conviction.

Ted

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the screw on the side of the door (where the locking latch is) there is a single torx which holds the window runner i have seen some of those come loose. Then the glass will rattle...

Baz

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I get that I just pull over and tell them to get out haha!

ok ok..if my window isn't up all the way it does that.

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you may have to readjust the latch that the clamshell locks into .My driver side did need a small adjustment to take a slight rattle out ,while idling.This is the rear latch , not the one on front.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not recall if the Gen II has the little air deflectors in the front of the front wheel wells. If it does, the one on the right side may be loose. At speed it would rattle. It's a quick fix with knew push pins.

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I used to have a really bad squeal from the passenger seat until I discovered that my wife was sitting on a tack.:D

OP
OP
J

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like I have a few things to check out.

Check the screw on the side of the door (where the locking latch is) there is a single torx which holds the window runner i have seen some of those come loose. Then the glass will rattle...Baz
That seems easy enough to check.

you may have to readjust the latch that the clamshell locks into .My driver side did need a small adjustment to take a slight rattle out ,while idling.This is the rear latch , not the one on front.
Anyone know how to check the latch and make sure it is set to where it should be?

Passenger foot rest. Check behind it, although unlikely it's a speed issue. Heck, you might find a quarter or a stick of gum from back in the day.
Really??? The foot rest? Come on, you pulling my leg? :dunno:

I do not recall if the Gen II has the little air deflectors in the front of the front wheel wells. If it does, the one on the right side may be loose. At speed it would rattle. It's a quick fix with knew push pins.
I should be able to check that tomorrow.

Heat shield inside the side sill can rattle, mine is at the moment ;)
How would you fix this if it is causing the rattle?

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone know how to check the latch and make sure it is set to where it should be?

Grab the cam shell at the corner [ do both sides to check] where it meets the door ,and see if there's a movement pulling up on it. Mine had about an 1/8 of an inch
movement and it rattled more at idle than at high speed.If there's up/down movement , you'll have to loosen the latch fixing bolts and move the latch forward towards the front of the car by small increments .Adjust until you have no more up/down movement of the hood. Pretty straight forward even if you're only slightly mechanically inclined :)

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a rattle in the GTS, and found it to be coming from the e-brake button. All I have to do is press it in and it goes away. I guess the spring is wearing out. Drives me crazy, good thing I don't drive it much.

Ed

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a rattle in the GTS, and found it to be coming from the e-brake button. All I have to do is press it in and it goes away. I guess the spring is wearing out. Drives me crazy, good thing I don't drive it much.

Ed

Looking in my shop manual I don't see an exploded view of the handle, but a rattle is mentioned in the "Unlocking Automatic Adjuster" section.

If the problem is the self adjuster at the base of the Parkbrake lever, it could be the rod that's rattling.

Ted

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
General Jackson