Who has increased oil pressure for track use?

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some tests with the remote oil filter and its over pressure valve, I had increased the oil pressure.

As this is simple and steady I thought of increasing the oil pressure permanently from 72 to 82 or 92 PSI.

Did anybody do this before and what was the result?

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel that is waaayy to much oil pressure......and are you using thick oil? Like 50 w? To also get higher oil pressure readings? In my opinion the thicker oil to get high readings robs h.p.....that's what I have always been told....I would think you would blow some rear seals......just my thoughts....I like about 50 lbs oil pressure......

E=ike;3149353]For some tests with the remote oil filter and its over pressure valve, I had increased the oil pressure.

As this is simple and steady I thought of increasing the oil pressure permanently from 72 to 82 or 92 PSI.

Did anybody do this before and what was the result?[/QUOTE]

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some tests with the remote oil filter and its over pressure valve, I had increased the oil pressure.

Did anybody do this before and what was the result?

Usually higher pressure means less volume......I'd definately check with some of the professional engine builders on this forum before I'd go too high on the pressure. I can't think of any bearing in a modern motor that needs more than 50 psi, even at max power.....but a lot of engines have failed due to lack of volume (often called low or zero oil pressure). Volume may be more important than ultimate pressure, at least in my lube starved mind.

Regarding oil weights, I'm not sure how much pressure difference you'd see when comparing a 0-40w oil vs a 15-50w oil once at operating temps. Even straight 50 weight looks a lot thinner when its at 180 degrees or more.

Good luck with the project,

George

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Rule of thumb that I've been told by a very well known engine builder is that you want about 10 psi per 1000 rpm.

If you check your oil pressure on the track in a Gen IV with 15W50 Mobil one, you will get about 60 psi at about 6000 rpm "hot" (oil temp about 210F) without modifying anything.

I'd trust the Viper engine guys on this subject and not mess with oil pressure increases. As above, you may loose volume.

Dan

OP
OP
I

ike

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rule of thumb that I've been told by a very well known engine builder is that you want about 10 psi per 1000 rpm.

If you check your oil pressure on the track in a Gen IV with 15W50 Mobil one, you will get about 60 psi at about 6000 rpm "hot" (oil temp about 210F) without modifying anything.

I'd trust the Viper engine guys on this subject and not mess with oil pressure increases. As above, you may loose volume.

Dan
Sorry, I did not understand very well, what you mean.

I use Castrol TWS 10W60.
Oil pressure is very constantly at 72 psi from 800 up to 6000 rpm (checked with Bosch KTS)

With slightly increased spring pressure in the oil pump it goes up to 82 or 92 PSI.
Pressure varies about 1 or 2 PSI only.

According to the replies here, it could be better to reduce the oil pressure to 60 PSI or not to change anything. :dunno:

rukcus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Excessive oil pressure and you can blow your oil filter right apart, that usually happens when your pushing it the hardest. Ive experimented with this enough on a variety of vehicles. In most systems 5 psi variation is tolerable. You can have even more variation due to weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine