Who makes the biggest headers?

1BADSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who makes the biggest headers that will fit for our cars? What are the sizes? I have gathered that Belanger and B&B are the preferred choices from other posts. I'm guessing 1 3/4" or 1 7/8". Is there a 2"?

I know alot of Viper owners are running 1 5/8" but I don't understand why. I use to run 1 5/8" long tube headers on a little blown 302 small block and 2" headers on a 428 cu. in. With my set up on the Viper, 488 cu. in. and supercharged, I would think 2" headers are minimum. I know you can lose back pressure and torque if they are to big but we are talking about a boosted big block.

Anyway to all the Vipers out there that are running blowers,turbos, or nitrous. What size/brand headers are you using? Quality of fit? Dyno numbers anybody?

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Firstly - you might have 488 cubes - but you also have 10 cylinders, and the needs of each *** are closer to your old 302 than they are to the 428 V8.

Secondly - for 95% of your street driving, the smaller tubes will perform better - only losing in the higher rpms to the bigger pipes.

Solution - go with Stepped Headers into a Burns 5 into 1 merge collector - which gives the best compromise weighted towards top end power without going to a custom setup.

If selecting between headers - the ones that get the straightest shot out of the port before turning, and have the biggest diameter bends will be worth more than any slight difference in pipe size. ;)

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that Vipermed makes the biggest ones out on the market....give him a ring.
Talked to Scott last weekend and sounds like he has the good ones! 1 7/8" stepped up to 2". Give him a call. They look awesome too :2tu:

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that Vipermed makes the biggest ones out on the market....give him a ring.
Talked to Scott last weekend and sounds like he has the good ones! 1 7/8" stepped up to 2". Give him a call. They look awesome too :2tu:

Are these available yet? Haven't heard anything lately about them.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are these available yet? Haven't heard anything lately about them.
He told me they were, but is backed up. He has (I think) 10 sets on backorder. I believe he said the cost is $1800 +/-$50.

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mike.

Could someone explain the "stepped" term as it relates to a performance advantage vs. regular sized tubes.

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mike.

Could someone explain the "stepped" term as it relates to a performance advantage vs. regular sized tubes.

What a lot of people overlook in the performance of a header is the collector,this is one of the most important factors.Others believe the best way to go is equal length,while in some very large primary headers and big block cars that may be the case but not in the viper.the key is as "torquemonster" said,basically the path of least resistance.Sometimes so many extra bends are put into a header to make them"tuned" that you have taken one step forward and two back.Now to answer your question about the importance of a stepped header.If your primaries are to large at the exhaust port, low end torque is lost in exchange for high end torque,especially in naturally aspirated cars.On the other end of the spectrum is if you are running small primaries you will see gains in the low to mid range but will dramatically drop off in the high range,especially in forced inducted cars.The advantage of a stepped header is that you are getting the best of both worlds,you are gaining low to mid and also gaining high rpm torque.We are currently building our headers in house and have a waiting list on them.We are however working on having them produced in a larger quanity by an outside vendor without loosing the quality and performance of the header.we hope to see this happen very soon as we have more projects than time seems to allow

OP
OP

1BADSNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all. That definately gives me a little more understanding of headers on a Viper. So Scott are the headers that you are making 1 7/8" stepped to 2"? Do they touch the frame or any other part of the car being that size? Any dyno #'s yet? Price? Thanks.

p.s. Thanks to 96 r/t 10 and vipermed for showing up to Turkey Run last weekend. I wish the turnout of Vipers would have been better. First year for Vipers so maybe if we are invited again we will follow some sort of schedule instead of 10-15 different schedules. It can only get better.