Who sells the best smooth tubes and why?

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who sells the best smooth tubes and why?

How about color, I am between black and red. Besides asthetics is there any advantage to going with red. They say black absorbs more heat but would this effect something like smooth tubes? It is not like the sun is shining on them or anything. :dunno:

I also figured I would go with K&N's. Is there any better drop in filters that breathe better? How about the S&B's? Thanks in advance. :2tu:

Last edited:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matrix smooth tubes are chrome with a rubber sleeve that just slips on and off. Very slick and awesome looking. No hose clamps. Check them out in my gallery. I think Partsrack can fix you up with a set.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you will ever do NOS or water/**** injection, spend the money on chrome, aluminum, or steel tubes. otherwise, they are all pretty much the same. the metal is b/c W/M or NOS fittings prefer to be screwed into something solid rather than flexible. flexible can be done... but bad things can happen.

good luck! and get something that looks the way you like it!

JD

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tator told me when I first bought my Viper to stay away from chrome smooth tubes because they absorb more heat. So, unless you plan on going with NOS or W/M like JD mentioned, I would go with the type Roe sells. For a color, get red. They look really good with the red intake manifold on Viper engines

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Factory ACR Tubes. They are angled to direct airflow straight into the throttle bodies. No other smooth tube I've seen has this feature. They are also way overpriced. Proper fit, best design, OEM.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:cool:
Factory ACR Tubes. They are angled to direct airflow straight into the throttle bodies. No other smooth tube I've seen has this feature. They are also way overpriced. Proper fit, best design, OEM.

Roe tubes in Black, because you still look stock.

A few months ago I was playing around and combined the best of both worlds, putting 2.5 inch OD tubing that's bent like OE ACR hoses into the standard non-ACR OE hoses..

You must be registered for see images attach

OE on the outside, smooth on the inside. !

It went together well enough I could have gone with larger 2.625 inch OD or maybe even 2.75 inch OD tubing from Stahl etc inside, but it's more expensive, and now I've got an ACR with the factory 2.75 inch ID hoses, so I'll probably just use what came on the car..

----------------------------------

2001 ACR/1999 GTS
Chrome ACR Wheels for sale
(24lbs lighter than OE 18")

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get the chrome and powdercoat them any color ya want. and if you ever decide to add WM/NOS you have the best setup for it.

there is a pic of smooth tubes that have been PC'd black with a nitrous setup in my gallery

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The best smooth tubes? A used set for 30 dollars on Ebay or from a VCA or Viper Alley member. Otherwise get the cheapest set that PartsRack or Roe sells. If you want a little bling, get the chrome ones. If you want the Mopar ones, Jon B sometimes gives a $99 deal if someone complains enough about how much they cost. Black won't absorb heat any more than red in the engine bay, if someone told you that, they probably have trouble tying their shoes.

The best filters? Everyone swears by S&B. They do fit in the stock housings better and apparently flow a little better.

*Note* The only advantage to RED over BLACK is that RED is always faster :D

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried some of the chrome ones that are 3 inch OD and use reducers at each end to connect to the airbox & TBs. Excited by how they looked I went for a drive, and could feel the car was slower. I took them off the same day.

The airbox to TB tubes are evidently an important part of the intake tract's overall length.

Using adapters to add a section of 3 inch tube to an otherwise smaller diameter system only resulted in reducing the inlet air speed as it entered the larger area.

- IMHO.

----------------------------------

2001 ACR/1999 GTS
Chrome ACR Wheels for sale
(24lbs lighter than OE 18")

Last edited:

wigginz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Black won't absorb heat any more than red in the engine bay, if someone told you that, they probably have trouble tying their shoes.

Exactly, color only matters in temperature when you're talking about light absorption... in a dark engine compartment the only factor in temperature is the physical material the tubes are made of, nothing to do with color.

... and yes, red is always faster.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

PartsRack has ACR-angled multi-layer silicone tubes in Black and Red. $85/pr (Mopar $240) Even cheaper when bought with K+Ns.

PartsRack also offers the Matrix silicone +Chrome in Black or red, best w/ NOS. $119/pr. NO WAY IN HEAVEN that this chrome tube heat-soaks when the car is moving or the engine is running. Too much air is going thru it to heat up. ABSOLUTELY Not a factor.

If you go to the S+B website, last time I looked do NOT list an SAE-certified filter that can handle the flow rate for any V10. Chek for yerself. FITTING OK should NOT be the deciding factor. KNs are SAE-rated and OEM equip ACR, and have a $4,000,000 warranty policy backing them up. All ORECA cars ran K+Ns or GREENs.

OP
OP
A

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PartsRack has ACR-angled multi-layer silicone tubes in Black and Red. $85/pr (Mopar $240) Even cheaper when bought with K+Ns.

PartsRack also offers the Matrix silicone +Chrome in Black or red, best w/ NOS. $119/pr. NO WAY IN HEAVEN that this chrome tube heat-soaks when the car is moving or the engine is running. Too much air is going thru it to heat up. ABSOLUTELY Not a factor.

If you go to the S+B website, last time I looked do NOT list an SAE-certified filter that can handle the flow rate for any V10. Chek for yerself. FITTING OK should NOT be the deciding factor. KNs are SAE-rated and OEM equip ACR, and have a $4,000,000 warranty policy backing them up. All ORECA cars ran K+Ns or GREENs.

Looks like they both use ISO 5011 testing. :dunno:

I usually buy from you but did not see the ACR angled multi layer tubes on your web site. :(

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like they both use ISO 5011 testing........I usually buy from you but did not see the ACR angled multi layer tubes on your web site.

Our tubes are exactly like the angled MoPar...Red or Black, $79 includes SS clamps

We have chrome, and we even have rubber or used from $25 !!

IF IT FITS ON or IN A VIPER....................

ps ISO filter testing is one thing, but do they now even show a filter for a Viper? Or any V10? I did NOT see a filter specified for a Viper.

OP
OP
A

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our tubes are exactly like the angled MoPar...Red or Black, $79 includes SS clamps

We have chrome, and we even have rubber or used from $25 !!

IF IT FITS ON or IN A VIPER....................

ps ISO filter testing is one thing, but do they now even show a filter for a Viper? Or any V10? I did NOT see a filter specified for a Viper.

Arghh, I should have called you instead of just looking at your web site.

I could not find a listing for S&B on their web site either but Roe sells them on their web site. I figured if Roe was selling them they had to be good. :dunno: I have also heard some people on the boards say since they have deeper pleats they flow better and that they fit a little better. Roe actually said that they are practically the same as K&N and they didn't see much difference at all in how they flowed. Gotta be better than stock filters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21