Who wants a quiet exhaust?

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always though the exhaust on the GenI/II sounded pretty tame for a 400 HP V10. In fact I have had many comments at red lights about how my car didn't sound that mean. Now I understand that the GenIII sounds pretty tame as well. Why would anyone want to do this? Are there good reasons for making the exhaust quiet? Political reasons maybe? I think it is cheaper and lower cost to make the exhaust louder, why go with the quiet amd more expensive exhaust that nobody wants? Does anyone want a quiet exhaust on their muscle car??? I just don't see the other side to this argument and I don't understand why this wasn't corrected?

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are probably some noise statutes in some areas where putting a loud exhaust on from the factory would not be good. Personally I love loud exhaust. Listen to my exhaust from a recent drag race video. Motor City Mad Man 96 GTS vs. Vette

I totally drown out the sound of the 480 rwhp Vette racing me. Unfortunately due to the crappy track prep my time on this run sucked and the Vette beat me by a tenth, oh the humanity of it all. I have Hennessey headers, 3" Borla cat-back exhaust, muffler deleted, and hi-flow cats. Sounds awesome at WOT. Sets off car alarms at idle. Scares women and small children. Neighborhood pets run for cover too. This is how a 488 CI V-10 sports car should sound like.
supergrin.gif
Quiet exhaust is for pansies and tree hugging liberals. Maybe some of the more vocal Viper owners ruined it for all us loud exhaust lovers and told Dodge to keep the exhaust quiet. Bass turds.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think quiet exhaust makes a car sound more efficient and better built.

In the future the fastest street cars will be those that aren't wasting energy making noise, i.e. electrical cars.

Quiet exhausts? I, for one, like them.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corsa - quite when cruising, screams when on it.... No drone. Love it!

Stock exhaust - To quite, tons of drone, never screams, moderate-poor flow/performance, tons of heat in the side seals, and sounds bad. I don't think Dodge could have done worse if they tried....
laugh.gif
Of course, IMHO. From my understanding, the SRT10 is a huge improvement.

Later

Hugo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Motor City Mad Man please let me Know how I can get My SRT-10 sounding like your car. That is the only way I want to drive it I know You love making all that NOISE.
BROOOOOOOMMMMMM

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JF58854777:
..Does anyone want a quiet exhaust on their muscle car?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To clarify the question: 'Does anyone want a quiet exhaust on YOUR Muscle car?'

Answer: The Feds.

The 100% all-encompassing reason the Viper, and the SRT/10, is quiet. The SRT/10 is just a 'better' quiet.....

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
euro noise regulations are stricter, vipers coming into Europe have to run 2 extra mufflers to pass regs underneath at the back, you thought your snakes were quiet ! could hardly tell the engine was running at idle or while cruising until a new system was installed, cheers to the man above

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they make them quiet for political reasons, and to conform to DOT regs. On my bikes at least, the stock mufflers have inscriptions stating 'conforms to 85 dBA DOT noise limits' or something to that effect. 85 decibels, A-weighted, is not very loud, and that measurement is taken at a specified distance, but I'm not sure what the distance is (probably 50-100 feet). My bikes are super-quiet with the stock pipes, and I'm planning on leaving them that way, since I like the 'stealth' approach (and it doesn't attract the law as much). However, I think louder exhausts are useful as a safety device, since it attracts the attention of other drivers who may not be paying attention to those around them (Harley guys say 'loud pipes save lives').

S

SUN RA KAT

I usually cruise within 5 MPH of the speed limit in my Viper because of the exhaust noise making it sound like it's going faster (and sometimes it does go much faster - but not cruising).

My Ram truck is pretty modified (my Viper doesn't maske it feel slow), but it is a lot more quiet than my Viper. I now find myself going 10-20 MPH over the speed limit when cruising. I used to cruise 9 MPH over the speed limit in it before getting my Viper.

I have found that good sounding exhaust noise is, indeed, a good safety feature to attract attention of other drivers & pedestrians so they wake up to what's happening & don't try to violate the law of physics that says "No 2 physical object can occupy the same space at the same time."

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZX12:
I think they make them quiet for political reasons, and to conform to DOT regs. On my bikes at least, the stock mufflers have inscriptions stating 'conforms to 85 dBA DOT noise limits' or something to that effect. 85 decibels, A-weighted, is not very loud, and that measurement is taken at a specified distance, but I'm not sure what the distance is (probably 50-100 feet).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In CA the car has to be below 95 dBA while slowly revving from 2000-5000 RPM in neutral measured 30 inches from the tailpipe. My belanger exhaust and high flow cat sidepiped Rt-10 was something like 117 dBA. Sounded really good though and I was never pulled over.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's all imagine what the world would be like if EVERYONE drove around with really loud exhausts (think of the loudest Harley you've heard ride by)

&lt;shudder&gt;

I'm thankful that 99% of exhausts are NOT loud, especially living on crow canyon road.

toddt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
Making noise is not equivalent to wasted energy.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remove the "not", and you have a scientifically correct statement.

After you do that, you could also replace the word "noise" with "heat" and again, have a correct statement.

Further, you cannot compare the efficiency of nuclear reactions to chemical reactions. They are wholly different energy systems.

GuitarSteve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From a non-Viper owner but a die-hard enthusiast, Viper has to be 6 things:

-6-Speed stick
-V10
-Fast
-Drop dead looking
-World class handler
- F-ING LOUD! No, let me rephrase that: STUPIDLY UNGODLY F-ING LOUD!!!!

The first Viper I ever heard, was goina 100km/h per hour, approximately 62mph. I heard NOTHING. The first Viper I rode in, was my 6th point here. This is how they should be. Why have a mean looking car that is stupidly fast and can out-handle almost anything out there, but have a whimpy exhaust note? It's almost as bad as having the car, but an inexperienced driver driving it. Or from my industry, why have a beautiful five-plus-thousand dollar guitar and a huge amplifier setup but can't play it loud, let alone playing it well?