Whoa!! Just tried a new wax...

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to a local car show today just to browse (my wife and two daughters had an ice cream birthday party to go to)and
I saw a 1999 red Trans Am with the most incredible shine. I asked what he used to detail the car and he turned me on to a wax/sealant called "Formula 113".
Now I am from New York and, therefore, inherently skepticle. I walked over to the booth where the "Formula 113" representative was broadly smiling and waving two bottles of the stuff, one in each hand, like one of those medicinal elixer street salesman you see in those old westerns.
He politely gave me his pitch and I politely handed him $20 for a 12 oz. bottle of the wax/sealer one step and 24 oz. of the BeadX gloss enhancer (their version of a quick detailer).
Well, I have to preface this by saying that I love Zaino products and BZ (before Zaino) I was a Zymol guy, but the shine on my red RT/10 is absolutely unbelievable!
Now since my two most favorite words in the English language are "maintenance free", the fact that it only took 45 minutes or so to do the entire car, including rims was a big plus.
I know some people are anti wax and others feel that sealants are a no-no because paint needs to breathe and all but I'm a more visual guy and an incredible shine is enough to get my attention.
The proof will ultimately be in the duration of this shine but to this point, this skeptic is favorably impressed.

Will

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm, one step, easy maintenance, higher shine... I wonder what Sal would have to say about this product? BTW what's this debate over wax vs non-wax and "paint breathability"?

-Will

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Boy...which way was the wind blowing today???!!!
Somebody mentions a product and guys are ready (appearantly) to jump ship. Nothing wrong with trying out new stuff but seems like a few of you read a post and Wham Bam Thankyou Mam.
My $.02

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have tried loads of different poishes/waxes. I am very particular about my car's finish, and after my many years of showcars, and seeing the different wax sellers and their wild claims, I have concluded that nothing....nothing...protects as well, lasts as long, or gives the shine that Zaino does. (If my area wasn't already taken...I'd be a Zaino distributor) We have all seen the fantastic claims made at the car shows by the sellers of Dri-Wash, Perma-Seal, etc. How many of these folks really understand paint? How many of these people are available by phone if you have a question? Finally, many products claim to "clean, shine, restore, protect". Do you guys really think that one product can do everything? And do it all well?

NascarDave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used the Formula 113 stuff since VOI6. Great stuff, very nice shine, easy on and off. The spray is fantastic. Highly recommended.

Dave

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny, because for my Senior prom so many moons ago I found a GREAT wax. The gauge cluster on my dad's Riviera had a few scuff marks on the plastic window. I tried some Lemon Pledge and the marks disappeared. Encouraged, I decided to try it on the light-up emblem on the c-pillar (1980 Riviera). Got a bit on the roof itself and soon found myself doing the entire car in Lemon Pledge. Looked great and smelled, well, you know. Lasted the night and didn't look so hot the next day. One wash and it was all gone, although it still smelled a bit lemony.

Anyway, I was mildly intrigued by the Formula 113 but have always sworn by Zaino. I was hoping to hear more about this "new" Zaino formula, but have not. My car is in desperate need of "the works". We shall see!

Chris

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am no chemist or engineer. I do know that up until 2 months ago I had a 95 green RT that was Zainoed for yrs and in 2001 people would routinely ask me how I liked my new Viper. That is perhaps the only "testing" I need and the reason I still order Zaino.(I also appreciate that they advertise here) Previously I used the national brands, ie Meguires, Zymol et al and was generally pleased but felt that Zaino was a cut above.

Reaction score
I have to say this, I am not a chemical engineer but I know my waxes, polishes and Glazes. I have had much experience with all, including Sals stuff.. I have a blk 2000 GTS. I was so much influenced by this board talking about the Ziano products that I went out and ordered it. I was not pleased by a couple of things. The first is that you have to moniter the freaking temp. and humidity points in the air. I am no weather man either and I dont need to get into that point. Second was the combination of steps I had to go through on this blk vehicle..Why would i have to take three hrs to do all this??? I mean yes it looked good, But shoot so did Mothers waxes.. I feel that you have to give other people a chance before jumping down there throats and saying ZAINO ZAINO ZAINO..Lets face it, sals been a big name in this room, but $hit lets give another product respect instead of listing the negative points from your OPINION Sal...ps- I still buy your products but I do use others....

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya know, when it comes to a product that I recommend, I fight to the finish! Pun intended, but I think that many are confused by Zaino. You certainly don't need to monitor humidity or temperature to apply Zaino. Simply put it on and leave it on for a half hour...maybe more. When it wipes off easily and clean...it's ready to come off. Also, you only need to apply a very thin coat. I dampen my applicator with Z6 first as it makes the polish spread better. I have restored national winning show cars, and I do have a clue as to what works. In fact, when my Superbird won it's AACA Grand National Award, it did so with a paint job that was 18 years old. You may see some car care products being advertised as being used by some famous dealer or auctioneer. Lemme tell ya the tricks of an auto wholesaler. Silicone. Shines like mad for the car's short trip over the curb, after that, they don't care. There is a company right now selling all kinds of products, in spray cans, from wax to tire dressing. When contacted, they told me that silicone oil is in all car care products, actually suggesting that it was beneficial to your car. Well, after explaining to them what I understand about silicone oil and it's effects....they would no longer answer my e-mail. Guys..use whatever you like, but if you plan on keeping your car, you really want to put Zaino on it. May I add that I am not a Zaino salesperson..just an enthusiastic user.

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since most of us shelled out big bucks to acquire the vipers we drive i'll add my 2 cents.

The best wax i have ever tried and am still using is Zymol Concours. It is very expensive ($150 for 8 oz). There is so much Carnauba (47%) that it has to be applied by hand-the body heat is needed to melt it).There is nothing artificial in it. It will last a very long time. In the past i have done half my car with Concours and half the car with many other waxes and polishes (including the ones mentioned on this board). Nothing has even come close as far as durability. As far as shine the zaino product is probably the closest.
I know most of you must think i am nuts, but a concours container lasts me six months sometimes longer, and more important: I do not have to wax as often.
devil.gif

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried Formula 113, and was concerned about a few things -
1) Chemical smell of the product - there are solvents in it, and that is not a good thing
2) Abrasives - I am unsure if it was the chemicals or the abrasives, but on my non-clear coated Suburban, (relatively new paint job - less than 2 years old), the product took off a lot of paint. After that "test" there was no way that I was going to use it on the Viper!
3) Longevity of shine - Pledge shines great on a car, but it doesn't last. I have found that just a single car wash causes Formula 113 to lose much of it's lustre.

I am biased - I have a black 94 RT, and I think it looks great. This is due to the products and help I have received from Sal Zaino and the Zaino Bros polish system. There are easier ways, there are faster ways, but I have not found a better way to make the car look (and stay) it's best.

My $.02

Reaction score
Very true Neil...Iam not putting Zaino down, its just fact at how long you have to wait for it to settle beforeyou can remove it..If you noticed previous post about Sals stuff, all in room agree if thre is humidity its bad..It might be great for you guys in the mid west but for NY with all this crappy weather it sometimes ****** me off that I have to waste time waiting so long for it to adhere to the paint...I use Mothers California Gold...Paste wax once every 2 months..The rest of the time I wash the car, blow off the water and go over it after with a nice detailing spray by Mcquires..The finish looks great...This is what has been working for me right atthis time.. When I wanna mix Sals stuff in, I use dove soap and remove any wax, then I use the clay bar and apply the stuff on, but like I said I don't have 1 hr to wait for it to settle. I dont like to waste 3/4 of my Saturday to get that finish.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll stick to Zanio. Anyone who is that passionate about explaining the ingredients in a competitor's product is okay with me. But Zanio needs to get a better system for ordering (and I need to learn how to spell). This sending-a-check-thing is for the birds.

Andrew

VIPORXXX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Sal,
I agree with Andrew....you need to make it easy to order!!!!
I'm a big fan of your products and like doing business with a fellow Viper enthusiast. But when I run out of your stuff its a pain to have to send a check in the mail.

Regards
Ed

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really don't believe in this type of testing, however it was an interesting read to say the least.
Http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html

I would much rather see the main waxes and polishes taken to a lab and tested in a controlled environment with state of the art technology measuring the optical perfection and longevity of each product.

And as for the easier to order request, Sal is working on it and there will be a change for the better coming soon.

Luvjet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing that hardly ever gets mentioned about Zaino is the fact that dust is not attracted to it as much as the other waxes. When I first bought my Viper last October and before knowing about this web-site, I did my own research on the net.There is a wax called "Blitz Wax". Made in small quantities and considered the best my many car collectors. The Royal Palace in England uses this wax, and has for over 5 years. The Viper looked great, I mean really great, but not quite as nice as after its first coat of Zaino. The lack of dust accumulation with Zaino,to me, is as important as the deep shine.I don't sell it,I too, am just a happy convert. See Ya.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sal,
www.systechsystems.com (my wifes company) can build you a website, with online credit card processing, and a creative design that will properly "reflect"
tongue.gif
your products quality.

We just received our first Zaino order.... but a product credit might be feasible!

Her email is [email protected]

Thanks,

Jeff