Why Are Most of The 2008 Viper's For Sale Almost All Venom Red?

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been watching the 2008 Viper market and I am a little confused about the cars available. First off, a good thing is that there are not many 2008s available but the ones that are available are almost all Venom Red. Do people just not like this color? I finally saw one in person and I will say the color is not as impressive as I thought it would (mostly because I thought it was going to be like the Dark Red Raffle Car) but it is still a nice color. I also was not able to see the color in the sun which I would imagine would make the color really pop. I am just confused and ranting a little since it is still a nice color.

mjf6175

Viper Owner
Reaction score
First let me begin by stating up front that I have on order an 08 Venom Red Coupe (I Status). According to two dealers I spoke with, VR has been ordered just as much as SSG, if not MORE. Remember that only 3 colors (SSG; VR; Blue) are being offered first. And as posted here in seversal threads, most of the 08 Vipers are ORDERED cars which means the VR Vipers where ordered by the buyer as such. The few Vipers that dealers have ordered for stock were ordered in VR as decided by the dealers. I keep reading on this site how unpopular VR is which just does not add up when you realize that the VAST majority of the 08 Vipers were ordered by the customers in the color they choose. If alot of Vipers are made in VR that is because alot of people picked that color. It just so happens that a good number of 08 Vipers ordered by dealers for "stock" cars were ordered in VR. Probably because dealers tend to be conservative and SSG had not been seen in person. Dodge is not randomly making VR Vipers and throwing them out into the pipeline to sit in the dealers' showroom.

Last edited:

Rolstar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe because those are the first 2 colors they produced. Dealers are ordering what they can get their hands on. I'm sure you will see other colors show up on dealer floors once they are produced.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
In your opinion - what was missing from the Venom Red? Not enough pop out of the sun, not enough metallic, too marroon, etc? What would take it from "nice" to WOW?

I have been watching the 2008 Viper market and I am a little confused about the cars available. First off, a good thing is that there are not many 2008s available but the ones that are available are almost all Venom Red. Do people just not like this color? I finally saw one in person and I will say the color is not as impressive as I thought it would (mostly because I thought it was going to be like the Dark Red Raffle Car) but it is still a nice color. I also was not able to see the color in the sun which I would imagine would make the color really pop. I am just confused and ranting a little since it is still a nice color.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen it in the sun and don't care much for the color, it's a muted down red, kind of bland, more suited for a family car, not a Viper....

In your opinion - what was missing from the Venom Red? Not enough pop out of the sun, not enough metallic, too marroon, etc? What would take it from "nice" to WOW?

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd bet that most '08's sitting in dealer showrooms are being offered at significantly "over MSRP" prices.

Not to start a price thread but you would be surprised. All that I have seen are at MSRP or below. Three that I saw are at INVOICE and this is NOT only eBay.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe because those are the first 2 colors they produced. Dealers are ordering what they can get their hands on. I'm sure you will see other colors show up on dealer floors once they are produced.

I totally understand this but if this is true, how come there are no SSG versions sitting around? I only was able to find ONE!

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen it in the sun and don't care much for the color, it's a muted down red, kind of bland, more suited for a family car, not a Viper....

Agreed. It pretty much looks the same as when you see it in photos. Maybe a hint lighter would have made the difference but who knows. It is a very diffucult color to tackle I would imagine.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen venom red in person at the SF auto show and it looks amazing.
I First off, a good thing is that there are not many 2008s available but the ones that are available are almost all Venom Red.

I'm taking a good guess that you've just been looking at ebay. Yea on ebay its weird because all of the 08's are pretty much venom red, but if you look on other websites (for example craigslist) they don't have any venom reds, just SSG. Guess it just depends where you look.

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was unable to find them there but yes eBay does have it's share as well as a few dealers and sites like autotrader. A local dealer near me has one with the grey interior which I think really looks ugly. All black is TEN times better. I remember this happening with Sapphire Blue but that caught on after they were sold out. Will this? Only time will tell but I can tell you that anything other than standard black is going to be a hard sell as those grey and cognac interiors are ugly. Cognac is nice color but on the way it was done. Should have included the seats and grey is just plain awful no matter how you slice it.

Vypr GT2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<<I finally saw one in person and I will say the color is not as impressive as I thought it would (mostly because I thought it was going to be like the Dark Red Raffle Car) but it is still a nice color. >>

The dark red raffle car IS Venom Red (with champagne stripes)!

http://forums.viperclub.org/vca-mem...ffle-announcement-first-public-2008-viper.htm

Haven't seen a Venom Red in person yet, but it sure looks good in the pictures so far:

http://images2.auction123.com/sizeq...8fd8c0c/1B3JZ69Z48V200281/13.jpg?webimage001l

Last edited:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was unable to find them there but yes eBay does have it's share as well as a few dealers and sites like autotrader. A local dealer near me has one with the grey interior which I think really looks ugly. All black is TEN times better. I remember this happening with Sapphire Blue but that caught on after they were sold out. Will this? Only time will tell but I can tell you that anything other than standard black is going to be a hard sell as those grey and cognac interiors are ugly. Cognac is nice color but on the way it was done. Should have included the seats and grey is just plain awful no matter how you slice it.

Perhaps if you had owned more than one Viper or if you were actually in the market to BUY rather than in the market to endlessly PONTIFICATE on the market you might be more perceptive as to the desires of the multi Viper owner who might like something different this time around. The reason two tone interiors are offered is because it has continually been brought up that interior options would be nice to have, just as new colors and stripe combinations would be desireable. To flat call them ugly is your personal opinion.
Think Grasshopper...
Black/Silver stripes with black and silver interior
Black/red stripes with black/red interior
Red/black stripes or just red with black/red interior
Violet/silver stripes with black and silver interior
Any blue with any stripes with black and blue interior (Check Bobby C's car)
How about either blue with silver stripes with black/silver interior
How many red Ferraris have you seen with black and tan interiors

I could go on forever.....Oh, the dark red cars you are seeing (no doubt on your main research engine... ebay) ARE the same color as the raffle car, Venom Red.
And thank you for not starting a price thread, although you were tempted I can see, those of us who actually buy these cars would like to take delivery and get a few miles on before you start taking our resale values down with your hip shot posts.
Heck, my two tone interior is now devalued already, I mean it's officially UGLY. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would prefer to see Silver or Yellow than 'wine' in a sports car....

I think the VR will be a slow sale, after all, dealers had ordered SSG too but those are mostly gone now and I have not seen many with ButaneBlue either.

Remember, these colors were available on allocation basis, not an unlimited basis and I think the dealer orders got 'stuck' with the least popular of the first three colors...that is, VR had the most unused allocation so dealers ordered that color.

pcc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no right or wrong color it is strictly a personal choice, that said I personally am not a big fan of VR. This is one color that screams out for stripes.

Motorhead

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It wasn't that long ago when the Viper was only available in 3 exterior and 1 interior colors.....period.

Thanks to passionate “Viper Nation”, the'08 Viper has come a long way since then. :2tu:

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps if you had owned more than one Viper or if you were actually in the market to BUY rather than in the market to endlessly PONTIFICATE on the market you might be more perceptive as to the desires of the multi Viper owner who might like something different this time around. The reason two tone interiors are offered is because it has continually been brought up that interior options would be nice to have, just as new colors and stripe combinations would be desireable. To flat call them ugly is your personal opinion.
Think Grasshopper...
Black/Silver stripes with black and silver interior
Black/red stripes with black/red interior
Red/black stripes or just red with black/red interior
Violet/silver stripes with black and silver interior
Any blue with any stripes with black and blue interior (Check Bobby C's car)
How about either blue with silver stripes with black/silver interior
How many red Ferraris have you seen with black and tan interiors

I could go on forever.....Oh, the dark red cars you are seeing (no doubt on your main research engine... ebay) ARE the same color as the raffle car, Venom Red.
And thank you for not starting a price thread, although you were tempted I can see, those of us who actually buy these cars would like to take delivery and get a few miles on before you start taking our resale values down with your hip shot posts.
Heck, my two tone interior is now devalued already, I mean it's officially UGLY. :rolleyes:

So Sorry I hurt your feelings. :lmao:

V

Venomiss

It wasn't that long ago when the Viper was only available in 3 exterior and 1 interior colors.....period.

Thanks to passionate “Viper Nation”, the'08 Viper has come a long way since then. :2tu:
Hopefully it has a long way to go in the future!

Color choices have put a shot of enthusiasm in the new Vipers.
Different strokes for different folks.:) VR looks great in the sun!
Thanks Jim!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well , I am trying not to crack up, but the funny thing is regardless of the color each individual likes, Venom Red was ordered way more than SSG or Blue at the beginning. Chrysler was actually worried that half the first orders would go to VR, screwing up their supplier buys on paint hues. With 34 Viper afficianados standing around at Chelsea Proving Grounds this Summer, the VR was the preferred choice over the SSG or Black ( color of the 3 cars present ) . It is a unique color that changes dramatically in the Sun, and the reason there might be a few more out there, is there were more ordered --- hence , the logical theorem might just be that people like it ( who woulda thought ).

Long live Vipers with more than 3 color choices! :2tu:

XXX BLK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee, for a minute I thought I was going to ask CitySnake to edit your post :D

Hope all is well my friend.........Adrian

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have seen VR in person, and think it's a beautiful color.
In the sun it absolutely glistens.

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The VR needs stripes...my dealer got the VR in and I was disappointed it had not stripes. Then I saw the SSG with no stripes (it just didn't need them). I find the VR is a very refined color, as such I don't think it belongs on a Viper, but that is a complete owners choice. It's not like there is an ugly Viper....ever.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are we really having a disagreement over Viper COLORS? If you don't like a color or an interior color combo....DON'T BUY IT!

What's the point of voicing your dislike about a COLOR choice? Sheesh. :rolleyes:

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are we really having a disagreement over Viper COLORS? If you don't like a color or an interior color combo....DON'T BUY IT!

What's the point of voicing your dislike about a COLOR choice? Sheesh. :rolleyes:

It's not about a dislike...its about why there are so many on eBay and the like. I figured the 08s would go fast (not just on the track). I think it concerns many that if they don't sell fast, Cerebus will pull the plug quicker and people won't have chance to purchase a new gen 4. I know many will be fine with a used one, but there is nothing like knowing it has only been yours.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not about a dislike...its about why there are so many on eBay and the like. I figured the 08s would go fast (not just on the track). I think it concerns many that if they don't sell fast, Cerebus will pull the plug quicker and people won't have chance to purchase a new gen 4. I know many will be fine with a used one, but there is nothing like knowing it has only been yours.
I'm certainly willing to discus that issue. As far as I've been made aware, if you call a dealer today, you can no longer order a 2008. Not having a particularly good handle of exactly how dealers conduct orders and sales, that would indicate to me that the 2008's are essentially sold out. Are the eBay listing's the result of buyers reneging on their factory orders?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agreed--tho we have 'fun' on here about 'fastest COLORS'...it's bottom-line: VIPERS, doesn't matter WHAT the color...we love VIPERS....period. ~juli

OP
OP
D

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm certainly willing to discus that issue. As far as I've been made aware, if you call a dealer today, you can no longer order a 2008. Not having a particularly good handle of exactly how dealers conduct orders and sales, that would indicate to me that the 2008's are essentially sold out. Are the eBay listing's the result of buyers reneging on their factory orders?

It looks like the cars on eBay, autotrader, DR (2 of them), and such are from dealers that ordered the car with either a buyer who backed out or ordered it for the idea of putting them on the showroom floor. I will agree, the customer only ordering system was a good idea and will help keep what happend in 2006 from happening again but there are still some dealers that participated in purchasing without a customer order. I think that most of them were the dealers that thought they could get the $100,000+ for the car. There are a few dealers that are well known that just placed an order for a bunch of them (Palmer Dodge, etc.) but the majortiy for sale now are by regular dealers that I have never heard of.