Why Cant I Drag Race Anymore!!!!!!

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im very frustrated...

I had a 2003 srt10 with roller rockers/kn filters/ no cats...I used my own personal timing equipment and practiced a good 30 runs and was able to consistentlt run 11.9-12.1 at 119-122 mph..

I sold the car and 18 months later i bought it back..The owner put on a titanium exhaust and eliminated the pre cats. As well as Eibach lowering springs...

A month ago I jumped back in the saddle and went to the same location with my same testing gear and could only muster 12.2 at 120 at best..But most of the runs were 12.4 PLUS at 117-118 mph...

I figured that it was just bad weather and me being rusty..

Well last night I did around 15 runs....I let the rear psi down to 22 psi hot and went at it...To the best of my memory heres how it went....

13.3 at 118
12.8 at 116
12.6 at 18.5
12.6 at 119
mis shifted
12.5 at 120
12.6 at 119
12.6 at 120
12.3 at 119.5
mis shifted
12.5 at 120
12.8 at 118
12.4 at 120
12.5 at 120
12.6 at 119

I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT IM DOING WRONG.....I used to have this car to a science....High 11 to low 12 every time

-rear psi at 22 psi hot
-launching off idle
-1st to 2ns shift as soon as I see 5600 rpm's
-2nd to third shift at 5850 rpm's
-3rd to 4th shift at 5900 rpm's

I just cant figure it out.....Even with the 22 psi in the rears the car just wont hook in first gear...I beleave my best 0-60 mph was a 4.5 tonight...I used to run 3.9-4.2...

So I am prepared to do a complete drag raceing flush and start new.....Give me some pointers on how you launch and shift ect.

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot can happen to a car in 18 months and you don't mention the condition of the tires.......2 year old hockey pucks are not going to hook up the same way!

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot can happen to a car in 18 months and you don't mention the condition of the tires.......2 year old hockey pucks are not going to hook up the same way!

New tires put on two months ago

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is down on power, probably something minor. The times do not really concern me, that could be just attributed to getting used to the car again. The main concern is the mph. Horsepower and trap speed go hand in hand. Was there a gear swap? More shifts if your timing isn't quite right will make for slower times and less mph.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car is down on power, probably something minor. The times do not really concern me, that could be just attributed to getting used to the car again. The main concern is the mph. Horsepower and trap speed go hand in hand. Was there a gear swap? More shifts if your timing isn't quite right will make for slower times and less mph.

The 120 max trapp is irking me for sure..Used to max at 122 mph...Even when the car was only 459 rwhp with KN filters and roller rockers I could touch 121 mph.122 mph after removing the cats

Now no cats/roller rockers/titanium exhaust/KN filters and best of 120 mph..

Ill get the car dynoed this week

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dragon rider..I just noticed the we have nearly identical mods

O3 Vert. Autoform hardtop, Corsa track exhaust, Random Tech Cats, K&N intake,Eibach springs MGW shifter,470 rwhp, 501rwt dynojet
11.57 @ 121.7 1/4 mile on PS2'S

Did the eibach springs hinder or help your 1/4 mile times..I also have them

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a roadtrip to Vir, Florida ,or NJ and i will get you in to a test to learn from Smith or Furman.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a roadtrip to Vir, Florida ,or NJ and i will get you in to a test to learn from Smith or Furman.

Im from Virginia but live in hawaii...I will rent a srt10 and ask to attend one of these private track rentals..But for now I just need advice on the launch ect. Ive lost my MOJO

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im from Virginia but live in hawaii...I will rent a srt10 and ask to attend one of these private track rentals..But for now I just need advice on the launch ect. Ive lost my MOJO
Send Jamie a PM (If you want i will call him for you )and ask him .

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive already talked to him...But Im not visiting VA till later this year
Either way if your really interested in learning from the BEST OF THE BEST out there he (along with SMITH )are it.Years ago we would have a zone event with 75 Vipers in attendence and those 2 were at least .5 seconds faster than the best drivers same day same car same track.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The eibachs didnt make much difference. Like 1Bad said talking with Jamie or reading his post on how to launch has help me drop 2 tenths off of my 60ft time. Oh yeah, my car hates back to back runs. It will gets slower and slower with each hot lap. Wait at least 1/2 hour between runs.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The eibachs didnt make much difference. Like 1Bad said talking with Jamie or reading his post on how to launch has help me drop 2 tenths off of my 60ft time. Oh yeah, my car hates back to back runs. It will gets slower and slower with each hot lap. Wait at least 1/2 hour between runs.
Exactly when Evan tests for a number every cars motor is bad iced until its cool (way under normal operating temp ) and its always worth a tenth or so .When he prototypes tests (DURABILITY )ITS THE OPPOSITE as the car is hot lapped NUMERIOUS times to see how its going to react .

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The springs probably made a significant difference. If the springs make the car lower or stiffer the car isn't transfering as much weight to the rear wheels.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the car on a dyno and tuned. You would be amazed that opening up the exhaust will at times drop your low end torque and up your HP at the top end. Either way when messing around that much with the exhaust I would recommend getting it looked at. You may even have a good bit of power that isnt being tapped into.;)

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the car on a dyno and tuned. You would be amazed that opening up the exhaust will at times drop your low end torque and up your HP at the top end. Either way when messing around that much with the exhaust I would recommend getting it looked at. You may even have a good bit of power that isnt being tapped into.;)
Its not a power thing =look at his trap speeds in the 120s.I was there in 2001 when Smith ran the 11.77 in a STOCK Gen 2 and he trapped 117 .Its a matter of putting the power down (track conditions and DRIVER )

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ps also YOUR USING your own personal timing stuff (how accurate is it ).What is your 60 a GREAT DRIVER on Pilots is 1.7-1.8 .

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. People install lowering springs for visual purposes only and dont realize what they do to the ride quality and performance. There was a guy in the NY club who did just springs and hated it. Went to motons.

The springs could have a direct impact on your 0-60 time and that could be the difference in your times.

The springs probably made a significant difference. If the springs make the car lower or stiffer the car isn't transfering as much weight to the rear wheels.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ps also YOUR USING your own personal timing stuff (how accurate is it ).What is your 60 a GREAT DRIVER on Pilots is 1.7-1.8 .

Im useing a FX2 timer..Ive had it for 7 years and used to use it at the drag strip when we had one here in hawaii ( only strip closed 3 years ago)

The FX2 would say my vette ran a 13.3 at 105 and my time slip that I would pick up 30 seconds later would say 13.4 at 103....Or 13.2 at 104...

Some times it was dead on but usually 1.5 tenths and 1.5 mph off in eighter direction...

I found it to be a very accurate tool and have tested it at the same location on numerous cars...A few weeks ago a cammed C6Z06 played with it..But the best he could do was 11.9 at 123 mph..

My 60's are in the 2.1-2.3 range....I use to be in the 1.9-2.0 range..Just cant do it any more..

Ive been reading up on speed freak....he has a nice little write up on what he did to run stock 11.5's at 121-123 mph

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im useing a FX2 timer..Ive had it for 7 years and used to use it at the drag strip when we had one here in hawaii ( only strip closed 3 years ago)

The FX2 would say my vette ran a 13.3 at 105 and my time slip that I would pick up 30 seconds later would say 13.4 at 103....Or 13.2 at 104...

Some times it was dead on but usually 1.5 tenths and 1.5 mph off in eighter direction...

I found it to be a very accurate tool and have tested it at the same location on numerous cars...A few weeks ago a cammed C6Z06 played with it..But the best he could do was 11.9 at 123 mph
Whats you 60 foot time though =THATS THE KEY.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pS A CAMMED Z06 THATS AN easy 10 second 130 TRAP SPEED CAR.I mean dead stock Jamie broke 10s and Evan in 95 degree weather into a 5 mph headwind popped 11.4s at 127 all day long(also bone stock ) for the Super Chevy test .Are you gus running these cars at thousands of feet in the air or something.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. People install lowering springs for visual purposes only and dont realize what they do to the ride quality and performance. There was a guy in the NY club who did just springs and hated it. Went to motons.

The springs could have a direct impact on your 0-60 time and that could be the difference in your times.

The springs have the car sit an inch lower and the ride is much more stiff...Im thinking you may be right but Dragon Rider has the same set up and says he saw no differance???

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
pS A CAMMED Z06 THATS AN easy 10 second 130 TRAP SPEED CAR.I mean dead stock Jamie broke 10s and Evan in 95 degree weather into a 5 mph headwind popped 11.4s at 127 all day long(also bone stock ) for the Super Chevy test .Are you gus running these cars at thousands of feet in the air or something.

Yes the elevation at our testing spot is 1000 feet above sea level...

My cousin took hi s Z06 to the track when it was stock and only ran 12.2 at 119-120 mph....

So we thought the 11.9 at consistant 123's wasnt bad..

This same elevation of 1000 feet is were i have ran for years..

It will be easier if I just post up one of my post from years ago when I started drag raceing this car...Then you will see why Im so dissapointed in all the mid 12's

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i just ordered a sct from dan lesser at viper specialty for 399.99........what a price...much cheaper than everyone else out their by atleaste a 100$..Sometime 200$..Thanks Dan