Why do Maintainence Yourself?

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I was swapping my new wheels onto my car I decided to hit the grease fittings on the control arms.
To my surprise, when I looked to hook up to the grease ****** on the upper drivers side control arm theres no ******!:omg:
Upon further inspection it seems the boot on the ball joint is also torn. Theoretically I think the last guy I had grease the car broke the ****** off when he removed the gun and chose to say nothing. It would be obvious to the guy when he tried to put the gun on another fitting but couldn't because there's a ****** in the gun already. I guess the benefit of the doubt could be given if that was the last fitting of the job. But I doubt it. I looked over the paperwork of the last service I got, but lucky for them they didn't write in grease job, even though it was asked for.
I'm not on here looking to get back at anyone, just pointing out to you guys that never do your own work, sometimes it's better for the ONE person who cares to have a look. YOU.
Obviously having the top ball joint on the front end let go at any speed could be catastrophic. Good thing I noticed, some guys think these cars don't even take grease.
I figured seeing as there's no ****** on the ball joint, that it's contaminated anyway so I'm not even checking for play, and will replace it anyway, instead of just the boot. I checked the shop manual, and lo and behold I need to replace the whole control arm.

Moral of this long winded story: Nobody should be above looking the car over themselves. Nobody.:cool:

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch!! If it wasn't for the torn boot (are you sure it's torn? It's normal for a small amt. of grease to creep out), heck, I'd replace the fitting and wait it out for a while... If the boot is torn, well, time to spend the bux. It's best to err on the side of caution but worn ball joints are usually obvious to a driver long before they fail. IMO

my .02

OP
OP
D

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch!! If it wasn't for the torn boot (are you sure it's torn? It's normal for a small amt. of grease to creep out), heck, I'd replace the fitting and wait it out for a while... If the boot is torn, well, time to spend the bux. It's best to err on the side of caution but worn ball joints are usually obvious to a driver long before they fail. IMO

my .02

The boot is torn for sure, big enough hole to slip two fingers in. Too bad the dissimilar metals of the ball joint and aluminum control arm prevent just changing the ball joint. Anyone know how to get a hold of Sharf by email?

CCBrian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Um you can depending on the year of the car...a ball joint can be replaced. In the SRT-10s its basically a Dodge B100 van ball joint I believe. Dodge even makes a dealer tool to remove it...we have done it before with no problems-I have a factory trained (15 years) Viper tech friend who is also the shop forman who has done it for me...way cheaper. I now have that tool for the future.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean I should let the guy who spent 10 minutes trying to find Reverse in my ride before coming over and asking me to do it to work on my ride?

Sorry.
Not gonna happen.

OP
OP
D

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to the shop manual, the ball joint shouldn't be replaced on its own because of possible corrosion due to dissimilar metals.... steel and aluminum. Possibly cold flow(different expansion properties) as well. I dunno, but I'm more the do it once kinda guy, even if it costs a little more.

You're probably right though, and it may never cause a problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang