Why six bolt rims?

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The questions have started since I dusted off the Viper and this one was interesting. It came from a fellow motorhead. I did a search but couldn't come up with anything.

Is there a particular reason why Viper wheels have six bolts as opposed to five?

Thanks in advance,
Santo

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< ALL THAT TORQUE...Keeps the wheel from shearing off the studs. >>

.... and conversely the same reason a (4) cylinder mustang only has (4) bolts holding the wheels on.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
".... and conversely the same reason a (4) cylinder mustang only has (4) bolts holding the wheels on."

Shouldn't we have 10 lugs then? :p

Actualy I think VIPR GTS has it right, Dak hubs. Right down to the "non serviceable" pressed in, snap ring retained, F.A.G. (or is it Timkim) number stamped sealed bearings.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the Viper hub comes from the truck parts bin.
Chuck is right on this one. When the Viper was in Prototype stages the engineers decided to use the 6 lug hubs that were used on the trucks. They
had the part in stock and decided it worked best without inventing a new part. They kept it ever since. This particular topic was discussed in author Daniel Carney's Viper Book. If you want I can try to find the passage where it talks about it. I have the book somewhere.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a side note...will any dodge wheels fit on the rear of a GEN2?

I tried the durango 6 lug..16"...it fit but hit the brake caliper. I was going to try and fix some slicks to them.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a side note...will any dodge wheels fit on the rear of a GEN2?

I tried the durango 6 lug..16"...it fit but hit the brake caliper. I was going to try and fix some slicks to them.

If you need some 17-inch Purners I have some rears only for sale.

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This particular topic was discussed in author Daniel Carney's Viper Book. If you want I can try to find the passage where it talks about it. I have the book somewhere.

Thanks for the offer. There's no need but I should increase my Viper book collection.

On a related note, does the Viper usually come with locking lug nuts? Unless they are of the "stealthy" variety, I don't think I have locks. My Land Rover Discovery has locks that have a cap that makes them all look the same. Even my old Stealth had factory wheel locks. I find it strange that a Viper doesn't. Are mine just missing them?

Santo

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Santo, My 01 didn't come with them. As a comparison, my wife's MB with factory AMG wheels didn't either. However, my much less expensive Mitsubishi Montero SUV did. I guess Dodge figures we're not going to leave the car unattended long enough for someone to steel them. :confused:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't suppose there is much of a market for hot Viper wheels. The rim won't fit on anything else and the tires don't fit on many other cars.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all viper wheels are interchangable to any year with the only limitation is that gen I & II wheeels will not fit over/around the gen III brakes

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More to it Mike. 18" Forgeline fronts for the SRT have a different offset for brake clearance. I found this out the hard way. the rears are completely interchangeable with the ebrake relocation kit.

OP
OP
S

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess no wheel locks makes sense. If you're going to take the wheels, might as well take the whole thing. There aren't too many theives with the right car jacks anyway, I suppose ;)

Santo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang