Why top post battery on the SRT10's??

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a reason Dodge uses a top post battery on the SRT10's? Even with a stock battery, there doesn't seem to be a lot of clearance if something goes slightly wrong (loose battery hold down, drop something heavy on cover plate, lose the postive terminal cover, etc).

Is a side post battery not as good in any way?

Cheers,
George

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While side post batteries work fine in many applications but their main benifit is lower production cost to the manufacturer- post type batteries have much more robust electrical connection (circumfrencial contact vs. face contact). Also you never need to worry about stripping out the fastener threads on the battery.

OP
OP
T

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I figured it might be a cost issue too. I'm thinking about using an AGM side post battery and installing brass posts into it, then using the post style clamp on the cables like the stock unit has.

I've found what looks like droplets of battery acid on the top of my stock battery....just want to get away from any chance of getting acid on metal components and getting the terminals away from the all metal cover.

Did General Motors have any type of right to the side post battery deal?....come to think of it, I can't think of any other vehicles that used side post batteries except GM.

George