Why we viper owners get the cold shoulder alot of times from other "sport" car owners

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Why we viper owners get the cold shoulder alot of times from other "sport" car ow

BTW, TexasTorred are you going to the Mid-South club run in the OK/AR MTNS next weekend? Dont think its that far from you.

I wish I was. It's all about work these days--even weekends. Have fun though and be safe....
greg

Torquemonster06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Why we viper owners get the cold shoulder alot of times from other "sport" car ow

That was a fun read. Well put together. Nice job. A copy is for sure going in my viper binder.:headbang:

chiurw

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Had a similar experience earlier this month. I took my Viper to a car show that was hosted by a large automotive aftermarket ignition manufacturer. There were a lot of "older" muscle cars there and was surprised how self-centered these guys were. I went around and spoke to these guys and was friendly but they never engaged in a dialogue or asked what car I drove despite being the only Viper there. So in the end, all I can say is that it was either jealousy or no appreciation for modern muscle/exotic cars like the Viper. I bought this Viper because I really like it and enjoy driving it and that is all that matters to me.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's the owners and not the cars that get the cold shoulder.

I was at a smaller township show at an elementary school recently. Maybe 50 cars or so and not my town. I was out cruising and saw the signs and stopped by. I didn't even know there was a show until I saw the sign out on the road and it wasn't anywhere on the web sites that advertise shows because I check them every week. Anyway they asked if I was registered and I said that I didn't know that there was a registration but I would donate or whatever if necessary. I also mentioned that I only had an hour or so to hang out and was more interested in checking out the other cars. They gave me a sign saying that my car would not be judged and was only for the enjoyment of the attendees. So I pull in and park and walk around for a while and talk to the other owners and even bought a drink and a hot dog to do my part. I wound up staying almost 2 hours because some E-Type Jag guy was chewing my ear off. At any rate I got a ton of compliments on the car.

So as I'm leaving some guy yells out... "What are you too busy to hang out with us" :dunno: I just drove off like I didn't hear him.

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Had a similar experience earlier this month. I took my Viper to a car show that was hosted by a large automotive aftermarket ignition manufacturer. There were a lot of "older" muscle cars there and was surprised how self-centered these guys were. I went around and spoke to these guys and was friendly but they never engaged in a dialogue or asked what car I drove despite being the only Viper there. So in the end, all I can say is that it was either jealousy or no appreciation for modern muscle/exotic cars like the Viper. I bought this Viper because I really like it and enjoy driving it and that is all that matters to me.

I had the exact experience last Sat. We had a Mopar show hosted by the local Dodge dealer and Mopar club. 95% of the cars there were older muscle. All I got was snob remarks like "is that your Viper?...(yes)...." nice, too bad they can't handle".

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score

Very good read, thank you

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You just have to speak to non Viper owners with the right tone and attitude. I have never had a negative response.

You must be registered for see images attach

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Luca:lmao:

You just have to speak to non Viper owners with the right tone and attitude. I have never had a negative response.

The_Greg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had the exact experience last Sat. We had a Mopar show hosted by the local Dodge dealer and Mopar club. 95% of the cars there were older muscle. All I got was snob remarks like "is that your Viper?...(yes)...." nice, too bad they can't handle".

Uhhhhh... coming from older muscle car guys?? Even if they were right ->

***: "hey kettle, you're kinda black, you should work on that"

Scratch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Snakes have actually gotten a bad rap, well since biblical times :lmao:

azvipermike

Enthusiast
Reaction score

nice creative write up!

stranger355

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The truth is the whole car culture is based on competition. For the most part everyone wants to have the best car and if not that, then at least a better car. Now, in my local area of Northern VA I've worked hard to bring different car people together, but one thing remains constant....90% of the people will think you're an a-hole no matter what. The other 10% just aren't paying attention or have a better car than you. It doesn't really matter that I have a Viper it could be a Ferrari or a Evo or a Jeep...when it comes down to it we are all little boys playing show and tell. I NEVER expect a warm reception, because people are constantly projecting their insecurities on others when it comes to cars. I've been very guilty of it myself. I have plenty of friends now who I used to think were a-holes. Of course that's because I had never actually talked to them. That happened enough that I finally realized how stupid I was being and I go out of my way now to catch myself doing it.

Just last week at the Moparpalooza show we had about 10 other cars follow us from the pre-meet to the show entrance. Again, the group I hang out with really does love everything and will go out of our way to make people feel welcome, so they were excited about coming out to see some awesome Mopars and the 2013 Viper. So behind the 20 or so Vipers we had a NSX, Gallardo, ZO6, Lotus, Heffner TT Ford GT, Shelby Series 1, Ferrari, etc. We all roll up the show together and the guy who is parking us, who is a friend, says to me, "hey man, am not sure what I'm supposed to tell as these Lamborghini guys...." I said, "Oh, they don't want to be in the show, they are going to park on the street." So, no big deal. So, we all park and have a great time. Then a few days later I see these photos online of the other cars parked on the street and all of the comments are like, "It was so awesome that they didn't allow those Italian ****** bags in there." "I bet they were pissed." "I thought it was so funny when they turned them away." "What a bunch of a-holes."

I rest my case. It's not specific to Viper ownership though. If you don't want a cold shoulder then buy a Focus (just don't show up to any JDM meets).

OP
OP
H

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

"If you don't want a cold shoulder then buy a Focus (just don't show up to any JDM meets)."

Don't know, may still get the cold shoulder in a Focus from those like me that drive trucks that get 5.7 mpg!!:D (what were they thinking driving that death trap) Ever heard the song on Rush about the Yugo:rolaugh: "got crushed by a produce truck, but saved alot of gas for the rest of us!

Just joking though, I try to treat everyone with respect, who cares what kinda car you drive. There was a day when I drove a used Chevy Corsica with water leaks and no a/c:omg: I Thank God that after 16 years of hard work building my business I was able to get to a point where I could afford a SWEET RIDE like the Viper! Others may look down on you, but dont ever look down on them!! Be greatful and humble at the positon we(Viper owners) are in. Millions of others would love to be in that position!!

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

^ +1 on that! When I bought my Viper and I drove it to work for the first time our receptionist came out to the hangar floor and YELLED at me "Are you Crazy?" I was a bit stunned, I had worked there about three years at the time and after I got the Viper guys that I spoke too on a daily basis wouldn't talk to me. It was like I had done something wrong, I'm thick skinned so it didn't bother me, surprised me quite a bit about their actions. Two years later these guys talk to me again, really didn't bother me when they didn't, but I have worked for everything I have and I haven't ever asked anyone else to foot my bill. I can only attribute it to jealousy I guess.:dunno:

OP
OP
H

HLANDIS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thats funny!! I got the exact same response from my parents when they found out I bought a Viper!! ARE YOU CRAZY!! I simply showed my Dad the key with the Viper logo on it and didn't say a word, he looked at me and said " no you didn't!" He loves it though!!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang