Will a cam position sensor cause a no-start??

Pressured

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove my 97' GTS today. Ran great. Got home and realized I had a check engine light. Pulled the code it was a cam position sensor bank 1 fault. Cleared the code and went to start the car and nothing. Spins over fine, just seems like no spark. Checked for fuel pressure - plenty. Code reset. I thought the car would run, just not very well......help.

OP
OP
P

Pressured

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went ahead and pulled the sensor. A WHOLE CHUNK OF IT IS BROKEN OFF!!. What the hell?? Can the sensor move in that it would make actual contact with the cam?

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be more concerned that the main bolt that holds the cam gear on is loose for some reason.

Had this issue on my 95 800 miles after new engine build. The main bolt for the cam gear was not torqued to spec and walked out. The cam gear was so loose it was wobbling and hitting the cam sensor. It did not take a chunk off but I could see evidence of it hitting it and it would kill the sensors after a few minutes of running.

OP
OP
P

Pressured

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhh, that makes perfect sense. I had a cam and heads done about 3,000 miles ago. I bet I have the same issue that you had. Thank you very much.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper ignition system need cam position sensor and crank position sensor in order for the PCM to know when to spark. so yes, it won't start w/o that sensor...

JD